Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a Chronograph

h8dirt

I am finally going to buy a chronograph to work up pistol loads. With all of the models and options available, I could use some help picking the right unit for my use. I'd like something dependable and reasonably accurate. I will not be using it indoors and portability isn't a big deal since I have my own outdoor range at home and don't have to transport it across town. Thanks in advance for your help.

Danny

I have a Prochrono digital too and it has been very good. I had an Oehler. PITA to set up and tear down just to check a few loads. The Prochrono is very handy and good enough for just about everyone except the BR crowd.

Major USPSA matches use CED, 80% of the time.

Sorry Flex but we don't all make the big bucks like and Area Director.cool.gif

As long as my $100 Pro Chrono Digital reads the same as a much more expensive CED I'm more than happy.

I have an CED Millieum I bought 7 years ago. Worked fine for me and I hope it will still work after 4.5 years of non-use. Prior to the CED, I had a Chrony that was great until a .45 diameter hole mysteriously appeared... With the CED, you won't likely shoot the brains and therefore most expensive part of the system.

But the real trick to not getting surprised at matches no matter what Chrono you purchase is to get a box of reference ammo such as .22LR and a reasonable .22LR pistol (look at the Ammo manufactures testing procedures if available). So long as your reference ammo and the Chrono are +/-2% and you are not trying to load exactly to PF, you will never have a problem.

Even though the OP has made his choice, I just replaced my severly aging Chrony Delta with a Chrony Gamma Master. There was nothing wrong with the Delta but working up a number of loads at my range [15 miles from my house] and writing down the information simply got old. I decided I needed a printer and was happy with the Chrony brand so that's what I went with. Pain in the butt getting it setup and getting used to all it does but I'm really happy with the result. Also sold the Delta for $25 and made the buyer happy too.

No other interest than a satisfied user.

Gamma_Master%20Chrony.jpg