Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Videoing matches?

Floyd D. Barber

This is my opinion, others might have had different results but this is what my personal experience has been..

this are my rules to videoing my self :D

1) don't let it become a distraction from shooting (This is the most important rule if you truly want to get better)...

i have stopped recording my self at local matches all together because i spent more time chasing people down asking them to video me while i should have been walking the stage or focusing on my metal program (as the shooter on deck).

if you have a friend (or maybe girlfriend ;)) that will record you with out you having to give much thought to it then go for it, as long as you don't have to stop what you're doing to make sure that the video is being recorded..

if you have to turn around while your making ready to make sure your being recorded then it has become a distraction and you are not 100% focused on shooting...

2)Stay away from 1st person video...

this stuff is cool as hell, and it makes us all look twice as fast, but you're not recording the most important part.. YOU...

the idea of using video as a training tool is to be able to see what you did or didn't do right... where were your feat? were you off balance? did you run passed a port? was your shoe lace untied? :)

while there might be some merit to 1st person video you are definitely failing to capture some of the most import parts of your form..

3)Don't be one of those guys that uploads the video and the subtitles every bad thing you did..

example subtitles read... "Mike on that target","forgot to reload","i farted while i getting of the chair it was so embarrassing", etc..

this are all negative reinforcements and are very bad for your self image...

so keep your comments to your self, and definitely don't beat your self up with bad comments internally or externally..

make sure to look at your videos and note what your doing right first, pat your self on the back... notice the things you did ok but would like to do better (note to self work on weak hand).. and most importantly completely forget the thing you just failed at.. this might sound counter intuitive, but keep in mind that if your not crashing your not racing (I think i stole that from Glen Higdon)... if you did something really silly more than likely you already know not to do it again, and have learned from the experience of actually doing it.. no need to burn that bad image of your self into your subconscious by playing it over and over on your monitor..

one thing i have noticed about this game, is that it is all about self confidence. every time your look at a stage and you think you might not be able to achieve something required by this stage, your distracting your self from just shooting the stage. so by having good self esteem your performance will be closer to your full potential...

out of two shooters of the same skill level, the one with better self esteem will perform better most of the time (don't judge me I'm not a scientist)..

i mention this because video can also have a negative effect on your self image. seeing all your mistakes externalized can be a bit hard to swallow sometimes, so be sure to let the bad things go if or when they happen...

anyway my rambling is over :D

good luck!!

cheers,

Los.

• 2 weeks later...

How about bringing a tripod, and just setting it up to catch the action from one point of view? Then you don't have to chase other shooters to video tape you. Yes, you won't get all the action, but you'll get some of it. If you can really crank the tripod up high, you can video over the tops of the other shooters who are watching. Just a thought, as I know it's hard to approach people and ask them to take the time to video you instead of watching or preparing!

How about bringing a tripod, and just setting it up to catch the action from one point of view? Then you don't have to chase other shooters to video tape you. Yes, you won't get all the action, but you'll get some of it. If you can really crank the tripod up high, you can video over the tops of the other shooters who are watching. Just a thought, as I know it's hard to approach people and ask them to take the time to video you instead of watching or preparing!

Yes I've seen a few guys actualy setup a few cameras, this way..

Its not a bad aprouch..

As long as turning them on doesn't become distracting..

:)

I have found that the most useful way to use a video camera to improve your skills is to set it up on a tripod at some place on a stage with a "target's eye view". This way you can see how you came into a position, did a reload and hand position on the gun.

I know you could shoot the camera but I have never had a problem. I ask the shootrs in my squad if they are ok with it and would they like me to email them the clip of them shooting the stage. They love it. I do this at our smaller members match each month and it's no big deal.

You also get to see how the best shooters in your club are shooting a part of the stage. It is a great way to learn when you can see yourself under the clock and then see a master class shooter shoot the same scenario.

My wife and I also film every practice session at the range and find it to be one of the best training tools.

REI Stores stock the contour camera's, AND if you spend the extra $20 for a membership they guarantee 100% satisfaction for as long as you own the product. I had the HD 1080p model for a couple years, took it back the other day because of a small scratch on the lens. They gave me back what I paid for it, no questions asked, and I purchased the newer GPS model.

Great Company!

• 3 weeks later...

i use the I-Kam system

.hunterspec.com/products/I-KAM/all/all(you will have to google this I am to new to have links in my posts)

and a second camera to watch movements putting them together is easy and fun to watch.

link us some vids if you publish them i have a few bad ones

here is my first match ever on video

youtube.com/watch?v=GgmIOIkwb7g&list=UUokMcbI6JsYGSeKx3wfEi0w&index=1&feature=plcp

I purchased a ContourRoam when they were $89 on amazon. Used it so far for a couple of basement practice sessions with presenting the gun and reloading, both 1st person and 3rd person. I find it' isgood to see your movements. I will use it for a matches on my earmuffs because I have a bunch of people who like to watch the action in my family. I do find it beneficial to have people video you to watch yourself during the match, but I got tired, and it was kind of awkward, to ask someone to video when they were there for someone else.

• 4 weeks later...

I video every chance I get. As a new shooter, I think it is awesome being able to post your videos and get pointers from around the country and/or world. Different people see different things.

My only problem is I feel sometimes like I'm bugging my shooting buddies to record for me.

I tend to focus too much on shooting. Every match I go to I plan to have somebody video me. When I am driving home it hits me that I didn't even think to get the camera out.

I setup my little Samsung HD on a tripod just abeam the start position, which usually keeps folks from walking in front of it. I have put the camera downrange on occasion, but I don't do that on stages with steel. The splatter can tear up the camera. Steel-less classifiers are perfect to setup a camera down-range.

Below is a video made from a tripod slightly off the stage. One stage I had someone pan to follow me, since the stage was wide. At 2:35 is a view uprange during a classifier:

Edited by ErichF

• 2 weeks later...

I think I spend more time watching my own videos that I do shooting!

Seriously, if you know what to look for and have other people critique you, it is a great means for improvement. I also take a notepad to the matches so that I can write down any issues I come across during the match - to practice on not doing them again at the next!

the tripods get knocked over, or someone will walk in front of them and you get a video of someones back. I titally agree with carlosa. The cameras are pretty worthless unless you have a dedicated camera person.

• 3 weeks later...

I try to get a friend at the same match and volunteer to video them in return if they video me. As a way to say thanks, I edit all the boring stuff out and put it on my youtube channel with a private link and send it to them. In the end, we both benefit from being able to critique ourselves.

But like Carlos said, don't let it be a distraction from shooting. I've shot in several matches where I just leave the camera in the bag and forget about videoing that day.

I'm not cool enough to have one on my head but I have my buddy's or my old man record my stages. I learn alot about foot work, transitions, and entering/exiting shooting positions by reviewing my preformance. It's a great training tool because even if you have an awesome stage you can always find ways to improve. And I've noticed I"ve got a long way to go!

Beware that same ranges/matches have a no video policy.

I just received an email from a range in CA that has a no camera or video policy and asking users to remove any reference to the range. :ph34r:

Beware that same ranges/matches have a no video policy.

I just received an email from a range in CA that has a no camera or video policy and asking users to remove any reference to the range. :ph34r:

They can ask.... Thats about it.

They can ask.... Thats about it.

True, however most USPSA clubs dont own the ranges and simply use the facilities for match purposes. I'd hate to be the guy that got a club shut down so I will comply with the gentleman who volunteers his time to run a USPSA match at this club and not post videos of that range.

I'd also take into consideration the other fellow shooters, some people don't want they picture or let it known that they have firearms and compete in shooting competitions for whatever reason.

With video and posting in mind. we have asked politely that anyone taking pictures OR video make sure that ANYONE in the picture, has granted them permission. And THEN DO NOT POST IT ON LINE! We don't care if you don;t care, we do care that we care and we run the match. We don't need to give any ammo to anyone that would shut us down. We know what we do is safe and fun, but a lot of people that would see us will get the wrong idea. We also have people in professions that would really rather not be seen shooting or for that matter they don't want to be seen anywhere on film.

Take it down if you have posted it. If you have not posted it, then please don't. If you must video, take it, watch it at home and learn from it. Most of the video that shooters post is neither educational nor entertaining.

Take it down if you have posted it. If you have not posted it, then please don't. If you must video, take it, watch it at home and learn from it. Most of the video that shooters post is neither educational nor entertaining.

Are you talking about video taken at your club, or in the sport in general?

I disagree that posting it is pointless. When I tell people I shoot competitively, they never really understand what it is I do. They usually think bullseye style, smallest group type of stuff. I tell them to google "USPSA" and watch some videos. We say the same thing when we invite noobies to our Tuesday night indoor matches. We invite them to come and shoot, or just watch, or look up the videos to get an idea of what the game is about. It's the easiest way we have for showing people what we do without a possibly inconvenient or intimidating trip to a club.

I am saying at our club especially for USPSA matches but in reality all matches we don't need postings. Now, if you happen to be fortunate enough to shoot in a friendly area, fine. We don't need the publicity here.

As for posting not helping, I disagree. It does not help you for training. It may help if you want to explain what we do to someone. There are pleanty of videos up on the web that are professionally done, videos of the Nationals and from some of the trainers. These would probably do more to brin g in peoople than our amateur attempts at movie making.

Many of our people don't need their images and names posted on line and tied to shooting. There are just too many anti's out there and their jobs can be at risk. In some cases they don't need their identity known for other reasons.

So, Video if you want, but make sure EVERYONE you happen to catch is OK with it and then please don't post it.

I just noticed your location. You need to move to America.

Aside from the courtesy of getting peoples' permission to video them or post videos of them, every issue you mentioned is completely foreign to me. My Commander threatened to fire me if I didn't burn him a copy of my screensaver, which was scantily clad women with guns. I couldn't convince him to bring any of his Ed Brown 1911's to a match, though.