Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO COURSES ON LINE

SAMMY63

Thanks for making this thread. I think online RO classes are a great idea. For many of us the thing we have the least is time. Combine that with the few classes that are offered and the long drive to attend and its doubtful I'll ever get the formal training.

I'm very interested to learn the rules to be a safer shooter and be able to help out my local club. It appears my most realistic option is to learn informally from the local RO's, but I won't be able to independently run shooters through a COF.

Seems like this would benefit the NROI and USPSA members.

Having recently been through the NROI RO Class, I have to say - online will not work.

There's a lot of practical demonstration and nuances that you cannot learn from a book (or webpage).

The NROI RO class also requires you to pass a practical exam - you will have to RO someone.

Having recently been through the NROI RO Class, I have to say - online will not work.

There's a lot of practical demonstration and nuances that you cannot learn from a book (or webpage).

The NROI RO class also requires you to pass a practical exam - you will have to RO someone.

Having to RO someone under supervision of the instructors seems like it could argueably be the most valuable and important part of the class. Strongly agree with you on that. But how much time is devoted to that over the entire weekend?

I'm probably not explaining myself as well as I should but in my perfect world the course materials would be available online to study in segregated modules. I could spend a couple hours a week learning one module, eventually learning them all, but on my schedule. I'd be able to go back,commit to memory and review as needed. There could be online tests at the end of each module.

Hopefully that would allow me to physically spend less time in the classroom and be better prepared. Maybe spend one day or better yet 1/2 day rather than two days in class?

Thanks for making this thread. I think online RO classes are a great idea. For many of us the thing we have the least is time. Combine that with the few classes that are offered and the long drive to attend and its doubtful I'll ever get the formal training.

I'm very interested to learn the rules to be a safer shooter and be able to help out my local club. It appears my most realistic option is to learn informally from the local RO's, but I won't be able to independently run shooters through a COF.

At a level one match you could independently run shooters through a COF even if you do not have your RO certification. You start off learning the commands and rules as you are supervised by a certified RO or CRO. Once you demonstrate the ability to handle it on your own you start to run them independent. If it is typical to most matches you have several RO's in each squad so if a question comes up it can be answered. Once the class opens up at a time and place you can attend you are already comfortable with how it works and you are better able to ask tough questions of the instructors. Nothing pleases an instructor more than to be given questions that need to be interpreted directly through the rule book. Ie. Rule X says _____, rule Y says _______, which one do we use?

The important part is that the current RO's be versed on the current rules. An RO who took the class 15 years ago and still tries to operate off the rules from 15 years ago can teach you some bad habits.

Having to RO someone under supervision of the instructors seems like it could argueably be the most valuable and important part of the class. Strongly agree with you on that. But how much time is devoted to that over the entire weekend?

I'm probably not explaining myself as well as I should but in my perfect world the course materials would be available online to study in segregated modules. I could spend a couple hours a week learning one module, eventually learning them all, but on my schedule. I'd be able to go back,commit to memory and review as needed. There could be online tests at the end of each module.

Hopefully that would allow me to physically spend less time in the classroom and be better prepared. Maybe spend one day or better yet 1/2 day rather than two days in class?

Have you gone through the class yourself? Honestly - there were so many questions asked and answered based on the workbook and rulebook - it was well worth the classtime.

It doesn't take any more time than shooting a level II match a day's drive away, and you'll learn more about the game at an RO class than you will at a big match. It's worth a weekend.

FWIW, I took the CRO class via correspondence and it did a lot to hone my understanding, but I'm certain that I would have learned more if I could have attended a class in person. There are so many fewer CRO classes, and the students are by definition experienced ROs, so the online/correspondence class is a less attractive, but viable option. But I'd hate to see someone who's only been shooting the sport a few months or maybe a year or two miss out on the one on one interaction provided in an RO class.

BB

Having not taken the course, but signed up for one in march, I really hope we don't reinvent the wheel here. I signed up 4 months before the class and took vacation time. I know some people have the brains for online, I don't. I have been helping as an to at my local shoots for a year, and have a basic grasp. I still want someone more experienced than me to be there as I learn to answer questions. A different way is not always a better way.

Have you gone through the class yourself? Honestly - there were so many questions asked and answered based on the workbook and rulebook - it was well worth the classtime.

Not yet. Work schedule, and distance to class are problematic.

But the feedback seems to be 100% that the classroom methodolgy is worth the effort. I'm convinced, appreciate the info, and when I can make it happen, I will.

I do not think on-line would be appropriate. I do a decent amount of on-line training/recerts with work, and you do not get as much from them. on line doesn't give you the opportunity to ask questions, and get clarification on interpretation. I finally get to go through an ro class next weekend; i'm really looking forward to it. it took me a couple years to get it to work out. find out if the classes you are interested in have a waiting list. get your app to them incase a spot opens up.

and you can still work level 1s as RO w/o the cert, and can still work majors as scorekeeper etc. Most people assume I'm cert cause i about always have a timer in my hand.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

At a level one match you could independently run shooters through a COF even if you do not have your RO certification. You start off learning the commands and rules as you are supervised by a certified RO or CRO. Once you demonstrate the ability to handle it on your own you start to run them independent. If it is typical to most matches you have several RO's in each squad so if a question comes up it can be answered. Once the class opens up at a time and place you can attend you are already comfortable with how it works and you are better able to ask tough questions of the instructors. Nothing pleases an instructor more than to be given questions that need to be interpreted directly through the rule book. Ie. Rule X says _____, rule Y says _______, which one do we use?

The important part is that the current RO's be versed on the current rules. An RO who took the class 15 years ago and still tries to operate off the rules from 15 years ago can teach you some bad habits.

Much appreciated! Thats the plan for now.

Apologies to OP if I've intruded excessively

I apologize if this sounds a little trite and perhaps cliche ... I don't mean it to. Nevertheless; Taking the Level I RO class online or by correspondence would be something like first learning to drive online or by correspondence. You may pick up some interesting and useful information along the way, but it is most definitely NOT the same!

:cheers:

I apologize if this sounds a little trite and perhaps cliche ... I don't mean it to. Nevertheless; Taking the Level I RO class online or by correspondence would be something like first learning to drive online or by correspondence. You may pick up some interesting and useful information along the way, but it is most definitely NOT the same!

:cheers:

A huge +1, RO certification definitely requires a hands on approach.

Yeah, i agree, it really is like driving.

I have signed up for an RO class this April. We were advised to be familiar with the rulebook. Ive been helping run the timer and score in my local club. I get to learn what to watch out for, how to score, range commands, etc. Actually reading the rulebook helps alot! Im looking forward for my class!!

FWIW, check with your local club(s) and see if there is enough interest to organize one. You have to plan in advance and you really need at least 20 people to commit (i.e. give you their money), but it's really worth the effort.

That's it. Or even get with your section coordinator and have him find out how much interest there is and set it up at a willing club.

Jump in and set one up yourself. I'm doing it now for the CRO class. There will be plenty of people who want to take it if the course is available in the area. We had to drive four hrs. one way for the class. Uphill, both ways, in the snow. In Georgia. In July.

Seriously, it's worth doing even if you do have to organize it.

Paul