Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorting brass

e-mishka

I seperate 9mm brass only for crimped primers. Otherwise, they all treated the same. What works best for me is to put a few hundred in a bowl, then set them on the flat surface of a workbench to sort out the 380. I then pick at handful, check for crimped primers, then throw them into the appropriate bucket.

My 45ACP brass, is another matter.

I second the slotted pans linked above. They SEEM to be horrible at their job, but time yourself doing it by hand. Half of forever still seems like forever, but it is actually a huge time saver. Don't load them up, toss in a handful or two and shake, and clean out the keepers for that pan every few repetitions.

I haven't loded 9mm since the brass plated steel cases have shown up, but back then all I relaly worried about was trying to cull the brass with a primer crimp as it is a nice way to waste a primer, and kind of slows things down a lot on the progressive when the primer gets jammed halfway in.

I think seperating brass by HS is good only for retired guys who are trying to fill up their days.

Hey, I'm retired and even I won't do that. If you think about it, my time is even MORE precious.

I hear ya brother, I'm 57, I know about precious time.

That's a good buy on sale from Miday USA. I've had mine a couple years now works Great. I'd purchase the 380 tray with it. Sorting out 380's can be a pain.

Once I have 9mm sorted and cleaned I do an inspection to chunk Military cases, crimped cases or anything else that needs to go. Just makes the loading process run smoother.

I sort my brass. I'm semi retired. Yes it is time consuming. But it is worth it to me.

My press rarely gets shut down because of brass problems.

My oals stay much more consistent.

My chrono results are much more consistent.

It gives me another chance to find problems with my brass i.e cracks or debris inside.

The pluses of sorting add up in my opinion.

I sort mines same reasons as Sarge . Also to add :

- brass wall thickness differs . Thin walls will set-back jacketed bullets to shorter OAL while feeding ( u-die fixes this) . Lead bullets are ok because of +.001 diameter .

- primer pockets has different fit for primers . For example: WIN brass don't like Fed SP primers . I would crush 10 of 100. So I use Fed brass with Fed SP primers . And the WIN brass with Winchester SP . And both primers fit nice with CBC brass . Speer seems to have a loose fit for any primers. That goes in a recycle bin.

This is what I see :

Those who are anal and consistent with there ammo, are consistent and serious about their shooting, shoot and score at a higher level.

I built a machine to sort brass by caliber that is pretty quick and mostly hands off. I don't sort by head stamp, it doesn't either, for almost all reloading. If you are playing a game where head stamp, weight, turning necks and such are a concern you likely not shooting uspsa or idpa.

Edited by jmorris

I have two questions about soring brass:

1. Is it necessary to sort out brass(9mm) by manufacturer?

Only to cull out crimped primers and the "bad" brands you don't like

2. Whats the good device to sort out callibers, 9mm from the rest?

Your hands?!?!?!?!!??!! They are free and work really good! haha! Seriously, if you are going to give the cases a once over (like you should), why waste money on sorter trays? I pour out my brass on a big towel on my workbench. If doing range pickups, I run a magnet over the pile first, then I pick out the really ugly ones to toss in the recycle bucket, then I just start grabbing them by caliber. I put 5-6 cases on my fingers and look at the headstamp and to see if there are crimped primers, toss the "bad" brands i don't like in the recycle bucket...then i roll them back and forth on my fingers to check for damage and scrap those. What I am left with goes into a bin to be tumbled later. This system seems pretty fast to me and lets me look over each and every case before it gets to my press so I avoid dealing with BS issues while reloading. YMMV ;)

Your hands?!?!?!?!!??!! They are free and work really good! haha! Seriously, if you are going to give the cases a once over (like you should), why waste money on sorter trays? I pour out my brass on a big towel on my workbench. If doing range pickups, I run a magnet over the pile first, then I pick out the really ugly ones to toss in the recycle bucket, then I just start grabbing them by caliber. I put 5-6 cases on my fingers and look at the headstamp and to see if there are crimped primers, toss the "bad" brands i don't like in the recycle bucket...then i roll them back and forth on my fingers to check for damage and scrap those. What I am left with goes into a bin to be tumbled later. This system seems pretty fast to me and lets me look over each and every case before it gets to my press so I avoid dealing with BS issues while reloading. YMMV ;)

Might wanna wear some gloves when doing this. You are absorbing lead into your system.

The above seems a lot like my routine...

I do use the trays and sort the brass into 5 gallon buckets first with "most" of the brass already sorta/kinda separated by caliber... I then pour out a couple of gallons at a time onto my table, run the magnet through them for the steel case and visually sort by little groups of 5 or 8. I have a 5 gallon bucket beneath each holes in the plywood and I just push the brass in the proper hole.

You can get a lot done in a short time.....

225891656_nAc8S-O.jpg

Might wanna wear some gloves when doing this. You are absorbing lead into your system.

I do...latex gloves are great!

• 2 weeks later...

Pic of said machine?

I built a machine to sort brass by caliber that is pretty quick and mostly hands off. I don't sort by head stamp, it doesn't either, for almost all reloading. If you are playing a game where head stamp, weight, turning necks and such are a concern you likely not shooting uspsa or idpa.

Nope. Even when my pickup brass gets military/crimped stuff in I don't bother. When I hand seat my primers I've gotten very good at noticing the resistance when I try to seat it. If I get a crimped case I have a small bottle opener I keep next to he bench that I can use to remove the crimp and just keep going :).