Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what load to use on MGM double spinner?

CareyH

I have never shot one, and an up coming match will have at least one. So my question is what load do you use on them?

I have some nasty turkey loads 3in with 2oz of copper plate #4? To much? :)

Its easy with the shotgun. Shoot the top plate first then time the bottom one as its just past the fulcrum point in its swing and shoot it then. If you do it right you can do it in two shots at close range. When its further out it becomes a challenge.

Pat

Any load will spin it but you gotta hit it. If you're looking for the magic round that will spin it with one shot, you are barking up the wrong tree. It also depends on what the match will allow for shot. Most matches don't allow anything larger than #6 so the #4 Turkey load will be too big. The larger shot tends to tear stuff up.

I've watched a lot of shooters try to use the magic round to spin it in one hit only to have their shotgun malf on the heavy round. They then spend time clearing the jam and sometimes need to take a second or third shot because they missed it. The heavy round also tends to mess them up for other shotgun targets on the stage.

Hit the top then the bottom with #7.5 or #8 with at least 1200 fps and you will turn it over. Makes it easier too so you don't need to count or think of where the heavy round is in your tube.

Federal Flite Control Buck. Tight enough pattern that if you aim you'll get the whole payload on. Light recoil to double if you want, or just get on target for the bottom.

Yes, for the win.

And take that little extra bit of time to aim. They go over a lot easier when you hit them center, rather than on the edge...ask me how i know....

He might be talking about the all shotgun stage at the Noveske Colorado MG Championship.

At least the way the stage is right now, you will start with 6 buckshot targets out to 20 yards (6-8" plates) from inside a car. Then 6 more plates, bird or buck at 8-10 yards, then the spinner at about 10 yards. After that, there will be windmill clays at about 8 yards and plates and poppers from from 8 to 20 yards. You won't want to be choked up tight unless you have some spreaders for the clays. Right about 40 rounds. All except the clays could be shot bird or buck, only 6 rounds of buck required.

He might be talking about the all shotgun stage at the Noveske Colorado MG Championship.

At least the way the stage is right now, you will start with 6 buckshot targets out to 20 yards (6-8" plates) from inside a car. Then 6 more plates, bird or buck at 8-10 yards, then the spinner at about 10 yards. After that, there will be windmill clays at about 8 yards and plates and poppers from from 8 to 20 yards. You won't want to be choked up tight unless you have some spreaders for the clays. Right about 40 rounds. All except the clays could be shot bird or buck, only 6 rounds of buck required.

Yes, I am talking about the Super Awesome Noveske Colorado MG Championship!!!!!

I pretty excited about it. :)

For me, there is a magic load. It is a 3.5" magnum turkey load shot from my XtremA. One shot that is not even a perfect hit, will spin it 4 times and it is easily repeatable.

You must have learned this from mike wirth at the ironman?

Federal Flite Control Buck. Tight enough pattern that if you aim you'll get the whole payload on. Light recoil to double if you want, or just get on target for the bottom.

Yes, for the win.

hell yeah, one shot spins'em with 1300fps if you hit them solid.

For me, there is a magic load. It is a 3.5" magnum turkey load shot from my XtremA. One shot that is not even a perfect hit, will spin it 4 times and it is easily repeatable.

:surprise: Man up... OMG my arm...

Besides that, it might mess up your gun if you have a sealed piston. That's a ton of power!

If you're allowed to use buck then get the flight control like Chuck says and figure out where they hit and see how they function in your shotgun. I think using flight control is like cheating when it comes to buck so I don't use it. I'm actually too cheap but I think it's still like cheating.

You must have learned this from mike wirth at the ironman?

I was the RO on the golf cart stage last year. Saw a few people do it, but not nearly as many as I thought would do it. As long as timing the load is not an issue, you should always do it, if not dis-allowed.

I have spun it in one shot with 3" magnum buck shot, but you have to shoot the bottom plate and you have to get down low to hit the plate square on the face. I learned this having to shoot the spinner through a low barrel. But most of the time I just use 2 normal bucks and its no problem at all

There is much talk about the spinner....what load, what bullet, what pattern etc etc etc.....

Trust me when I say that regardless of load, bullet, or sequence the key to the spinner is hits. You have to get your hits and be as close to square with the target as its presentation allows. If you don't get a square hit energy does not transfer and all the other talk is moot.

my gun is not chambered in 3.5 or I would.

Thanks for all the good info.

I spun the close ones in one shot with 3" shots from my Benelli, IM choke. Just find some nice 2 oz shots and you'll be fine.