Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA magazine gauge

ErikW

So what if Joe Rulebender makes a magazine with a 'step down' at the rear of the feed lips? According to the IPSC diagram, it would seem to be OK. The USPSA gauge has an angle at the top that the mag has to clear as well.

So what if Joe Rulebender makes a magazine with a 'step down' at the rear of the feed lips?

The diagram shows that the top measurement is taken at the highest point of the rear feed lip of the magazine, not to any cut out, and I suspect that the "angle of the dangle" will vary according to calibre, make and model right?

The most common way to measure at major international events like the World Shoot is to mark off 170mm on the inside edge of the longest dimension of the IPSC box (which is 225mm). When looking down into the box, if the highest point of the rear magazine feed lips don't cross the line when the rear of the magazine is abutted to the long side of the box, you're good to go.

EGW must be getting some seriously smokin' deals on aluminum. I'd have a hell of time just MANUFACTURING that 1" thick gage for $30. I can, however, knock out a bunch of far less expensive gages (less than half of EGW) out of .083 or .125 aluminum.

If people are interested, let me know.

I just scanned mine sitting on top of an EasyRule and next to a metric ruler. 2.48meg .jpg, email wakal3@cox.net if you would like a copy.

The EGW is a great product...cheap...and I recommend it :)

Alex

If EGW comes through, I would highly recommend buying their gauge. A 1" thick gauge for $30 is a smoking deal.

However, if people simply can't get gauges I can produce an unofficial, unanodized 1/8" thick aluminum gage in the $10 range. I still need the magic angle dimension if I'm going to move forward with it. I'll look into anodizing the gauges as well. It might add a dollar or two to the price of the gauge, we'll see.

I would need to sell about 75 gauges to break even. I know that a few folks are already interested.

The USPSA gauge has an angle at the top that the mag has to clear as well.

The critical point of the gauge is where the back of the feed lips contact the inside of the angle. The top/front of the feed lips fit in the gauge easily. If there is a "no go" situation, then the back/top of the mag will not fit in the gauge.

Has anyone had a magazine checked at a match?

Because you are measuring to the nearest quarter-millimeter with the gauge, and don't have to worry about hitting the angle on the rear of the feed lips correctly with the ruler.

Some folks get a little...close...to the high end of the magazine length.

Alex

Okay, I give up. Why would I want a $30, 1" thick 8" long piece of aluminum instead of a ruler? What am I missing here?

If you are building a new limited/open blaster and are going to shell out $600 for used leagal preban magazines, 30 bucks seems like a small amount to insure that all of your mags are legal for the division that you are shooting in. If you want to legally get the most rounds out of a mag that you can, a gauge is necessary. I know a lot of shooters who just put a overlength basepad on their magazines to get a desired round count. Nobody checks the mag length, so the rule benders are everywhere.

I would need to sell about 75 gauges to break even.  I know that a few folks are already interested.

Eric,

If you get up and running with this (dependant on the "magic" angle spec), put me on the list for one.

Mark R.

• 3 weeks later...

The Area guys are correct.

It took Mike V and I 3 month's of back and fourth, ordering mags from ST and SV

ordering pads from all the maunufacturs to put mags together and measure the length's.

It seems some mag tubes were growing over time and a "line in the sand" was needed :D

So we made a prototype gage, put the cutters aside in a box just for mag gages, and sent one off for approval. The angle cutter alone is 60.00

I offered to make the gage to avoid controversy in the sport, seems we have that from time to time. A std. was needed.

The "Master" gages were made, hard coat anodized at our expense and sent to the AD's and one for the limited and one for the open nationals.

For this we were "allowed" to make the "official" gages to help defray the cost and the time, materials, and 100.00 anodizing fee.

We made a third batch recently and have sold about 18 gages of the 39 we made.

Also We have moved, after 13 years we were able, Thanks to our CUSTOMERS! to buy our own building.

EGW inc

48 N. Belmont ave

Quakertown Pa 18951

215 538 1012

That plus the fact that we were awarded a nice jucy contract to make parts For SIG and the fact Brownells is buying parts faster than we can make them, combined with the 140 guns we have in line for work you can see why we were behind. We bought another machining center to help catch up. well see....

As mentioned in the post, the material 1x2x8" chunk of aluminum is pretty pricy by itself, add anodizing and were not sending our kids to college on this one :P

The gage is relieved in the middle between the pads because the mag backs are not all that flat, they are relieved to fit the larger buckets that is why we went with a large piece of metal, and if someone takes a gage and opens it up a couple mm and re anodizes it well that's why the AD's have there own.

Hope this helps clear up a couple things.

geo :)

I just received my gauge from EGW. I'd ordered it quite a while back and they dutifully delivered the next time they did a run. Excellent!

The irony is I received it today, 5 hours after the first time I've ever had a mag gauged in a competition!

Fortunately, being minorly paranoid at times, I only had small base pads on the 170s and passed.

Now I have to try the longer pads and get the mythical 1 or 2 more rounds with confidence <Cue Evil Laughter ...> :)

Kevin

Talked to George at EGW Thursday and got the gauge Friday. Put it to use at the GBC tournament Saturday. We haven't busted anybody yet, that I know of. But that's because I'm too busy to go on the prowl looking for 170s with +4 basepads and Limited shooters with big sticks.

The gauge is a quality piece and a deal @ $30.

Nobody checks the mag length, so the rule benders are everywhere.

My take is that they DO get checked but not very often. A couple of years ago I had a stage at an Area match that was exactly 30 rounds. Before my next squad showed up, the RM dropped by to see me and let me know that someone had complained that there was a shooter on the squad using an over length mag. His instructions to me were simple.... if any competitor shoots this stage with a single mag, take the mag from them, and get me on the radio so I can take a look at it. Sure enough, competitor shoots the stage with a single mag, I pull it, the RM checks it, and the competitor is now shooting for fun. :(

During the match I think I pulled a total of three mags.... two were legal, and one was not. My suggestion would be that if you think someone is using an over-length mag, quietly mention something to someone on the range staff. All the big matches have gauges, so someone will be happy to double check the mag. ;)

OK-maybe the great ones are checking, but not everyone.

quietly mention something to someone on the range staff

With all do respect, I think that when you go to the chrono stage, all of your mags should be checked for compliance. It takes 10 seconds to check 6 mags. The only time it would take longer, is if there is some sort of dispute by the shooter that the mag fits, when if fact it does not. I don't enjoy policing the match, we have rules to do just that, if they are enforced at all matches

USE THE GAUGE......IT'S GENEROUS B)

someone will be happy to double check the mag.

Sorry, double checking implies that the magazine was checked in the first place. :ph34r:

It shouldn't be your responsibility as an RO to check the round count against the capacity of everyone's magazines. Safety should be your only focus. Checking magazines should be done across the board by someone else during the match.

I'm done ranting for the evening. ;)