Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA magazine gauge

ErikW

As far as I know, EGW is it unless you find a secondhand one someplace.

Rumor has it EGW stacks up the orders until there's enough to run a batch, so get all your friends to order one too!

Where can I buy a USPSA magazine gauge (official EGW)?

Erik,

I think that Shred is correct and EGW is it. In addition, when you say 'official' that brings up another point...... I remember someone telling me that EGW runs two versions of the mag gauge. One was the 'official' version and only available directly to USPSA officials, and the other was the 'consumer' version (which I own). It seems hard to believe that EGW would have two different tolerances on these these things, but I suppose it is possible.

I would love to know if this is true.... :blink:

AFAIK, the only difference in the two is the markings (Official USPSA mag gauge, or something silly like that), and/or perhaps the color. The size is the same.

At least, that was the plan when I was on the BOD. Hoser could probably tell you if I'm wrong here.

Troy

My black EGW is marked 141.25MM on one side, and USPSA 171.25MM on the other. It came in very handy when I was building my 29 round magazines ;)

I hope it is an "official" piece of equipment...

Alex

AFAIK, the only difference in the two is the markings (Official USPSA mag gauge, or something silly like that), and/or perhaps the color.  The size is the same.

At least, that was the plan when I was on the BOD.  Hoser could probably tell you if I'm wrong here.

Troy

Troy is indeed correct. The only difference between the two gauges is the anodized color. Apparently, when Troy was on the BOD, they felt that there should be an "official" USPSA gauge in case a competitor challenged a magazine measurement with a gauge that was not an official USPSA gauge.

Arnie

Depends on what you want to use it for. :D

Actually, I believe the answer is yes. I'm assuming that you will use it to measure any suspect magazines. There is also a measuring procedure, I think it's in the rule book, which doesn't use the gauge.

Troy

What is the "need" here?

An "Official" gage to inspect competitor's magazines at sanctioned matches, or an personal/club gage for informal/reference use?

I can get some gages cut. They won't look exactly like EGW's, but can be nearly exact dimensionally. I don't know how thick I can have them cut. 1" might be pushing the technology, but in Al it may work. If people just need reference gages, I can have some cut of of thinner stock very inexpensively.

I posted a cheap-n-dirty mag gauge a while back made out of a metal square and a sliding window stop.. it should still be somewhere. That will get the length right, but I'm told that the angle of the top of the gauge is critical in getting the absolute maximum length right.

If somebody can point me to a blueprint, I'll cut out a bunch of them out of aluminum and have them distributed within two to three weeks. 

No problemo.

Hi Erik,

I am not positive, but I believe that USPSA granted exclusive rights to EGW for the mag gauge in return for a specified number of free gauges.

However, your Area Director should have an official gauge, why not contact him and request the use of the gauge for the Tournament (soon to be called Level III). That is why all Area Directors have a gauge.

Arnie

Arnie,

Heck, you Yankee boys are generous. You give a 1.25mm tolerance on the gauge, huh?

We IPSC hardasses only give 1mm on the box and zip on the minimum calibre :D

Vince,

Now, you know that USPSA is a kinder, gentler sport than IPSC. :rolleyes:

Heading up to Canada on Friday for the annual Thunder Bay Classic match - these guys up north (northernmost Yankees?) always do a great job on this match, eh?

Arnie

Arnie,

I'm not trying to step on toes, but if people need a gage to verify their magazines are in compliance before going to a match and can't get a gage, I'm willing to help make an inexpensive "unofficial" gage to help. All I need are the official dimensions.

Okay, for anyone interested, I will bring my 'non-official' EGW gauge to the Buckeye Blast this weekend. Of course, I would never allow you to copy it or anything like that..... but I do agree that if shooters want the gauge, AND there is only one source for the gauge (and they are not delivering) then what the #%(*&^*!!! :o

Arnie,

I'm not trying to step on toes, but if people need a gage to verify their magazines are in compliance before going to a match and can't get a gage, I'm willing to help make an inexpensive "unofficial" gage to help.  All I need are the official dimensions.

No problem with that, Erik. I am not sure where you will get the dimensions, though, unless you can find a gauge to measure up yourself.

Arnie

I ordered one in January and no luck so far.

I ordered one the Monday after Space City (04/26/2004). Here's their reply to my inquiry on delivery:

On Jun 3, 2004, at 7:58 AM, George Smith wrote:

Hi Chet,

We have about 10 mag gages sold

Will be running here pretty quickly. We purchased another CNC machine and it

is to arrive within a week. This will help our backlog on machine work.

Thank you for the work and patience

geo

George Smith

EGW inc.

48 Belmont Ave

Quakertown Pa 18951

As to the thickness, the ones I saw at SCC and Area 4 looked to be 1/4" aluminum.

-Chet

Hi guys,

Here is how you officially measure a 170mm magazine - this diagram appears as Appendix F1 in the new rulebook and it's also available on the IPSC website:

magsize.gif

-:and I know you guys are smart enough to apply the same criteria to 140mm mags because, as far as I know, you're not obliged to use an official gauge.