Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Rifles Weight?

Sc0

• 4 weeks later...

Why so heavy? I'm new to this rifle stuff...still reading and learning. I've got my eye on a 7.5 lb rifle with a 22 oz scope. I wouldn't expect more than 9.5 lbs with rings and base. What am I missing?

The rifle I'm looking at is a 700 XCR Compact (20") in .308. Is it really 7.5 lbs as advertised?

First off I will say that I can not handle recoil due to shoulder replacement, that being said...

The increased weight of a gun is your friend in a few ways.

1. Reduce felt recoil

2. Stabilizes gun

3. increases accuracy

With the weight of my Surgeon 308 w/Break, I am generating 2.9 lbs of felt recoil and I am getting .25 MOA/100yrds.

Edited by The Surgeon

• 1 month later...

I recently shot the same Ammo, in the same .223 lower, but using a carbine upper followed by a 20" hbar upper. I did this back to back and noticed the 20" was much tamer to shoot. The gun stayed very still with the weight.

Neither had brakes/fh/comps on the muzzle.

I am a believer in light gear in every aspect of life.

However I tend to think guys get to too wrapped around making things light when they dont need to. For instance what is heavy to me, is light to someone else. What is light to me might be heavy to someone else.

What you need to do is look at your rifle and ask if its weight has ever inhibited you, slowed you down or broke you off. If you answer yes to that, then start looking at weight.

A quick way to cut weight off weapons/gear is to take an honest assesment of everything you have on there. If you dont need it, take it off.

Savage 308 build ~12.5 lb w/o mag and w/o bipod

=

Barreled action (24" varmint)- 5 lb 7 oz

McMillan A-4 standard fill - 4 lb 8 oz

CDI bottom metal (no mag) - 5.1 oz

Bushnell elite 6-24 illum - 1 lb 15 oz

Seekins rings - 4.8 oz

Custom Remington 700

AI 1.5 stock

Rock 22" barrel same taper as Rem 5R

Night force glass

13.7 lbs

.Custom Remington 700

McMillan stock

Rock 20" varmint taper

IOR Valdada. Glass

With can

14.5 lbs

All weights are without magazines.

Edited by Jaxshooter

• 2 weeks later...

7WSM 15#

6.5x47 15.5#

6.5x47 17#

223 13#

I think the next time any get rebarreled it will be to a slightly smaller contour barrel, and also max length will 24". Trying to shoot a field course like the ASC with a long end heavy rifle is more difficult than it needs to be. I have used several of these rifles for f-class and they do well enough. If I would get a dedicated f-class gun it would have different specs. Some of the matches that I have shot which are called Tactical matches remind me of either bench matches using a bi pod, or f-class matches using different targets. The type of match that is your preference can have a big factor on your rifle preferences.

• 4 weeks later...