Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solid State Drives

Racer377

I picked up a new laptop, and for the first time in a long, long time, I didn't pay the apple tax. I put the savings toward a SATA3 SSD. Soooooo freakin' fast. Programs load instantly, literally. Boots in 20 seconds, shuts down in even less. I really, really like SSDs.

That is all. :D

Now if they could just make them of enough size to work with some of the larger programs or set up laptops so that you could have two hard drives. The SSD for running the systems current program and the standard drive to hold all of the programs and program files.

A quick price check says I need to drop over $700 up to over $1,000 for a 480 GB SSD compared to $100 to $125 for a normal HD. Maybe in a another year or so it will drop to where it becomes more cost effective.

Edited by Poppa Bear

Prices have already dropped a ton on SSD's and continue to come down. Like you said, give it some more time... I remember when 1 gigabyte drives were over a grand. So really a thousand bucks for 480 super fast gigs isn't that bad! :lol:

I got the 240GB for 300ish. I use the 640 that came with the laptop in an external enclosure for backup and whatnot. I've got a decent music collection (just under 6k songs, most at 256kbps or higher), tons of pics, a few movies and games, and I'm just over half full on the 240GB. I couldn't imagine needing a 480 or terabyte drive.

And you can get a few laptops with the dual drive setup. HP and Dell 17"s come with dual drive bays, and can be ordered SSD/HDD from the factory. On the macbooks, there's a kit that replaces the optical drive with another HDD slot.

My first PC didn't have a HD. :huh:

I remember those :roflol:

I think that the first PC we bought had a 250 Meg HD. Now my latest thumb drive is 16 GB for $18+tax. Personally, I'd love to put a large solid state in my laptop, but bullets and primers come first. :cheers:

Edited by Modoc

I remember updating my RAM from 4 MB to 8 MB for ONLY $20 a meg. Now my computer was able to run 1,000,000 instructions per second (1 MIP). That was so fast. Now computers are running at close to 200,000 MIPS if they were still measured that way. Things have gotten so fast that they had to come up with better ways to measure true operating speed due to multiple cores and the ability to run multiple processors.

Now that they're becoming cheaper and more popular, it'll be interesting to see how long these flash based SSDs actually last in the field under normal user conditions... Flash memory cells have a distinct lifetime - depending on the construction of the particular SSD (ie, how many spare "blocks" they have laying around), the internal firmware write layout algorithms, and the user's usage patterns, they have the potential to fail much earlier than a traditional platter based hard drive, even though the drive has moving parts, etc. A lot of work has been done in the area of improving cell write lifetime, but... will it be enough to make it worth it?

I just bought a new laptop, and for me, it wasn't quite there, yet... When I get ready for the next one...??? Maybe so ;)

My first computer cost as much as a late model used VW bug. Scary to think about.

They've come down a lot but there's still bleeding edge stuff out there that costs 3-4x more. I like SSD's but not the price. I have seen one setup I like that puts the OS on a SSD and everything else on a regular HD. Great compromise.

Edited by Graham Smith