Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEE TURRET?

thinking of starting with the lee classic turret kit. Is this a wise move or not? I was going to go full progressive right out of the box but doing some figuring the cost is just beyond me right now. I need some guidance from "THE EXPERIENCED". Thanks in advance.

While cheaper initialy you will end up spending most of you time, and much frustration, trying to get the lee presses to work properly. When you do eventualy go blue you will find out how much time you wasted.

How much is you time worth?

MDA

While cheaper initialy you will end up spending most of you time, and much frustration, trying to get the lee presses to work properly. When you do eventualy go blue you will find out how much time you wasted.

MDA

such a stupid comment. Granted Lee does not make the best stuff in the world, but they make 2 things really really really well.

Classic turret press, and the single stage.

The Lee Classic turret is hard to beat for the price, and it is a great press. I feel bad I sold my turret when I went to the LnL ap. Perfectly awesome for small batches, easy to change over calibers, cheap, and damn reliable.

The Lee Classic Turret is a great starter press, and a great moderate volume press. If you are going to shoot 300 to 500 hundred rounds or less every month of a given caliber, or have multiple calibers that you do not shoot a lot why spend the money on all of the conversion parts for a Dillon? Set up a 550, 650, or 1050 for anything where you will be shooting a lot and you do not want to change things over frequently. I need less than 30 seconds to change over to a new caliber on my LCT, but need 5 to 10 minutes to change over everything on a 550.

MDA

Nothing wrong with a Lee Classic Turret. It's not a frustrating press. It is very easy to use with just a couple things to be aware of. One. Don't remove the turret with out lowering the handle a little. Two. If you have issues with the primering lever alignment put a extra washer under it. Besides that it works great. Super easy. Very good first press. I have had two. Should have never sold the first one, bought the second when I bought my 650 after selling my 550. 650 for 9mm. LCT for everything else. DO NOT BUY the kit from Midway. Comes with a crappy scale. Go to Kempf Gun Shop. Buy the kit with all the upgrades. Then buy a Dillon scale (beam). Some Harbor Freight calipers and a tumbler. Your pretty much set.

Yeah man if your press isn't blue you will just bang your head in frustration constantly and very rarely put out good quality ammo :rolleyes:

on a side note I think people should learn to load on a non progressive press. Understand the process, what to look for, how everything feels, and learn what you truly want in the future. A turret or single stage always comes in handy for me anyway. In the end you will probably be much more competent than the guy that buys a 650 for a first press.

Yeah man if your press isn't blue you will just bang your head in frustration constantly and very rarely put out good quality ammo :rolleyes:

on a side note I think people should learn to load on a non progressive press. Understand the process, what to look for, how everything feels, and learn what you truly want in the future. A turret or single stage always comes in handy for me anyway. In the end you will probably be much more competent than the guy that buys a 650 for a first press.

+1

thinking of starting with the lee classic turret kit. Is this a wise move or not? I was going to go full progressive right out of the box but doing some figuring the cost is just beyond me right now. I need some guidance from "THE EXPERIENCED". Thanks in advance.

The Lee cast iron turret press is one of the greatest values going .

But , to start out , how many rounds do you see your self loading a week ? Month ?

Rifle ? Handgun ?

If the round count is low , get a Lee single stage press . High , Lee LoadMaster ( only if you have the time , patience and some mechanical aptitude to work with the press ) . In the middle , the cast iron turret press .

Actually , I recommend a beginner start with a single stage press . Even the little Lee C-Frame press .

God bless

Wyr

MDA

Each to his / her own . My LoadMaster is running well .

God bless

Wyr

as others have said the Lee classic cast press is good to go. IMHO its a great press to start out on, slow enough to learn everything but can be speed up for moderate amounts of ammo. I had one and then sold it, bought a few other presses and sold them, ended up with a 650 and its great, but I wanted something for small batches. I purchased a new Lee classic turret and put it next to the 650 its a great addition to my reloading room.

• 5 months later...

Getting this post alive...

Si if I well understand, the Classic Turret is a good press for beginners? I will get one this week for almost nothing, I mean I trade it for a dust collecting Tasco Varmint Scope.

And yes, It will be my beginning in the reloading world. I plan to mainly reload 9mm, 45 and 357, maybe some .223 to feed my AR. So yes, I will have questions...

First, wich die do you suggest, Lee 3 dies, Lee 4 dies, another?

3 die. Mine has a Redding sizing die #1, Lee powder through expanding #2, Lee seating/crimp die #3 (set up to seat only), and a Redding crimp die #4. If you really want to do things right you will invest in a second crimp die just to keep the two operations separate. This is important because you can get the crimp set where it needs to be and then have the ability to experiment with different OAL's using the seating die.

I started reloading in a lee classic turret press. Definitely recommend.

If your reloading pistol calibers I'd recommend going with the lee 4-die package. Haven't had a single issue with those dies.

I did upgrade to a LNL AP press and am in the process of getting that set up. Stitching over to RCBS and dies.

Buy the Lee 3 die set and add a separate Lee Crimp die. Not the FCD.

Order some extra turret bushing from Lee just to have them. The previous owner may not have them and they are easily damaged if you are not aware of how to remove the turret.

Always move the handle down a little and spin the turret a little to get the turret off. You will find the sweet spot that allows it to be removed easily.

Pick a bulky powder to do the initial loading. No Titegroup.

Order some extra turret bushing from Lee just to have them. The previous owner may not have them and they are easily damaged if you are not aware of how to remove the turret.

Always move the handle down a little and spin the turret a little to get the turret off. You will find the sweet spot that allows it to be removed easily.

Opinions vary,

FCD is awsome in my book, almost like crimping and chamber checking in one operation.

I started with Titegroup, no problems.

Pistol = Easy, no lube needed, all on the press using index (assuming prime pockets are not crimped).

Rifle/223 = painfull; Lube, deprime/size (Single stage on press), trim (possum hollow in a drill press), swage primer pocket, hand prime, back on press to charge/add bullet/seat/FCD.

Best to do in batches of say 500.

David E.

The Lee Classic Turret is much better built than the regular turret press. There are two version, a 3-hole and a 4-hole. The 3-hold is fine for calibers that do not need to be crimped but the 4-hole is more versatile and using a taper crimp die never hurt anything.

It's a very good place to start because you can easily weigh your charges when you are doing load development and just use a powder through die for the powder station. I load precision rifle on one and even taking my time, can load a fair amount of ammo in an evening or afternoon. FWIW, I just keep the primers in a cup to the side of the press rather than using the dispenser. It's actually as easy or easier.

Probably the most important thing is to have a good solid bench to bolt the press to. If it's not firmly fastened down, you'll get irregular loads. But that's pretty much true for any press.

Whatever you decide, don't buy the loadmaster. Biggest frustration I've ever had. I only load 100-200 rounds a week and plan on a Dillon xl650 next year at tax time. The LM is very finicky and yes they do work but im tired of the constant tinkering.

Opinions vary,

FCD is awsome in my book, almost like crimping and chamber checking in one operation.

I started with Titegroup, no problems.

Pistol = Easy, no lube needed, all on the press using index (assuming prime pockets are not crimped).

Rifle/223 = painfull; Lube, deprime/size (Single stage on press), trim (possum hollow in a drill press), swage primer pocket, hand prime, back on press to charge/add bullet/seat/FCD.

Best to do in batches of say 500.

David E.

FCD is fine as long as you are not loading lead or moly. Neither has any spring to the metal so when the FCD pushes on the brass it will spring back, but will deform the lead/moly which does not.

The Lee Classic Turret is much better built than the regular turret press. There are two version, a 3-hole and a 4-hole. The 3-hold is fine for calibers that do not need to be crimped but the 4-hole is more versatile and using a taper crimp die never hurt anything.

I have been using a LCT with 3-hole turret for years but agree that the 4-holer gives you more versatility. I use mine to reload 9mm, 223 and 270. Use the extra hole for a FCD or a full-length/neck sizer. I didn't like the powder measure disk arrangement and went to a separate RCBS quick-change powder drop. Also, I use a hand primer for better seating feel than the press. I also use a WFT in a DeWalt drill for trimming rifle cases. Quite a good system for loading in 100 round batches IMHO.

The reason I said to not use TiteGroup with the LCT is because TG is a very small volume powder and the Discs have pretty big jumps for the small volume. Also, the adjustable charge bar does not work well with TG and typical 9mm/.40 loads in my experience.