Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Trigger

gerritm

I put a Timney in my 3 gun AR, and loved it so much I bought a duplicate for my 22 trainer. It's worth it for sure! I like the McCormick, but watched a buddy drop one in and had his rifle go burst for a while. :surprise: Sure it could be adjusted, but that scared me.

I have at gold and CMC. I have shot the others as well. I like the CMC. No creep and crisp feel. Plus a nice positive reset. Like anything most are good and it comes to personal preference. But I know CMC has zippered the sport at a bunch of matches

Here are my experiences with Timney:

I have two timney triggers on ARs - a 4 lb. on a 16" rifle and a 3 lb. on a 20" rifle. Timney's are an easy install and I like the way they feel both in trigger shape (non-skeletonized version) and the pull. The 3 lb is pretty dang crispy and good for precision, and the 4 lb is a little bit like a carrot but still very good. I’ve measured both and they are within a couple oz of their advertised pull weights. When I first installed the 4 lb trigger in the 16” gun I had some doubles - not bump fires but doubles….not good. The new Timneys have an adjustment for the disconnector, but rather than mess with that I contacted Timney and they said send it back. I sent it back on a Monday and had the new trigger group on Friday. They were great to work with and wanted to resolve the issue to my satisfaction quickly. In my conversations with them they made it clear that the parts are Teflon Nickel coated and require no lubrication. I mention this because I’m from the school that says trigger/sears are lubed with something (molylube, or marine grease typically), and they said don’t. Overall, I like the timney and feel it is a good AR trigger for competitions and precision rifle. However, I wouldn’t just drop it (or any trigger) in and go to a match, rather I’d recommend to “proof test” it using only 2-5 rounds in a mag for a few mags worth and then as you gain confidence stuff the mags full. Years ago had a bad trigger that went full auto with a full mag – would have been a lot more fun if I was expecting it to do that.

Another option is getting Mr. Bill Springfield to do your existing trigger. I have two trigger groups at his shop right now getting work done. He is a good guy who does a good reliable trigger for reasonable prices (less than 50 bones). Frankly, this is a hard option to beat especially if you are wanting to save some $$.

I cannot recommend the full install type trigger kit from JP Rifles enough. IMHO it is a way better choice than any modular type trigger out there. Anytime you use the entire receiver to stabilize the trigger pins instead of relying on an internally boxed trigger group you will get a better result at the trigger itself ;)

For about the same price as an AR Gold system you can send your lower to JP and have them do a full trigger install and setup for you. The kit can also be DIY's if you have any decent gun work skills at all, the video instruction disc that comes with the JP kit is first rate.

I can't speak about the AR Timney but I had a big problem with a 10/22 Timney trigger group. When I called them, instead of trying to help, they started blaming other parts of the rifle. I threw it out and will not buy a Timney again.

I do have a JP and a Giessle super dynamic 3-gun trigger on some ARs...both are great but if I had to pick one, I would go with the Giessle!

That is tough choice, I have all of the above mentioned triggers and to choose one is more about personal preference.

For example I have the following:

Precison .260 Rem rifle; Ar Gold

Noveske Rouge Hunter 18": Timmey

Larue Stealth 18" 3 gun rifle: Giessle SD 3 gun

POF-USA SBR: CMC

Colt SBR: EXO coated stock trigger

They all work really good for me in each of the applicaitons that I chose for them. Again, I think that it all boils down to personal preference. They are all WAY better than a stock trigger.

I currently have an AR Gold, a factory set up JP, and some mil-spec triggers with JP yellow springs. I have shot the Giessle Super 3gun, a Jard, several JPs that were done at home (by different people) and another JP done by JP. Of all of these, the ones that I like the best are the JPs that were set up by JP. This is a personal preference thing though, you may like something different. See if you can shoot other people's rifles with the different brands to see which one you like the best before you buy.

Hurley

Get a JP if you ever plan on getting the Nordic 22 Upper. My Geissele S3G will not ignite my 22 reliably at all and my AR Gold is slightly better but still has some problems. Tried a JP with my upper and it ran flawlessly. I'll be replacing my Geissele with a JP in the near future.

I have a JP in my DPMS 3G and am very happy with it. Have not touched it. I kind of liked the ease of installation on the CMC trigger. It has very little creep and has a consistent snap when you pull it. It is definetly lighter and with less make up than my JP. I just purchased a trigger gauge and will be curious to see what the actual pull weight is.

gerritm

I have put in over 500 J.P.'s and they are the best and I have tried others. J.P. supports out sport a lot.

A JP trigger system installed and tweaked by Benny is the best of all AR triggers IMHO. Benny does the JP trigger like no one else, not even JP. My first JP trigger was installed by JP and it was sweet. My second I did myself by following the instruction video and it was the second best trigger on an AR I have ever had. Finally I had Benny rebuild my original JP installed trigger after about 12000 miles on it and it is so sweet it can't even be described. Almost no take-up, breaks like glass and not much more over-travel than take-up. Sub 2 lb and solid as a rock for quite a few more thousand rounds since :-)

My story is similar to George.

I started with a JP trigger I installed and thought is was pretty nice.

The one that came with my JP lower that was done by JP was better. I know they offer one of their JP15 lowers with the trigger installed for a pretty good price.

I have also had triggers by Bill Springfield and will say that if you are on a budget, it is an exceptional value. Not as good as the JP offerings but better than stock by a mile and a half.

Another option is getting Mr. Bill Springfield to do your existing trigger. I have two trigger groups at his shop right now getting work done. He is a good guy who does a good reliable trigger for reasonable prices (less than 50 bones). Frankly, this is a hard option to beat especially if you are wanting to save some $$.

+1 Bill has done 3 of my triggers and they come out quickly with a high regard for quality.

I have put in over 500 J.P.'s and they are the best and I have tried others. J.P. supports out sport a lot.

Love my DPMS 3G and JP trigger. Nothing negative at all. Just different. Like I said I have not touched it from the factory setting. I am kind of intimidated with the trigger part and don't like to mess with a good thing. Maybe it is time for me to send it off to have it set up professionally.

gerritm