Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

holding the gun high when moving into position

ErikW

Yesterday I found myself holding the gun unusually high (eye level) while moving between positions of my short field course. And it felt right... I'd come around a corner, knowing where the target would be, with the gun point at it, and there was no sensation of bring the gun up to acquire the sights. It was just there pointing at the target and the sensation was more of me coming in to position and settling behind the stopped gun and acquiring the sights.

Does anybody else move with this technique?

I've got to watch my Super Squad DVD again. I remember being surprised by the way Saul Kirsch runs with his gun way down by his belt.

Seems to me that Eric's suggestion that it's more than one way to skin a cat is kinda true.

The idea is to get to shooting as quickly as possible, right? Along short distances having the gun there makes sense as there'll be less overall movement of the gun into and out of the shooting position, but along longer distances the additional momentum/speed from having a little more motion in your arms while running might be a good thing. The key thing in the latter case is to get that gun up into the "pocket" as quickly as possible when you're decelerating into the next position. Don't just flop your arms around and then realize that the reason you're there is the shooting, know to get your ass set up as fast as possible.

I dunno, but I think you've found a "trick of the day." If it works, use it.

Eric G. always keep the gun at eye level, or at least at shoulder level.

So do I, unless there are big long runs, then I handle it at chest level.

On short runs, I tend to point my gun to where I want to go when I can (safety angles , guys !) otherwise, always pointed to the backstop.

The Burner (from his tapes) brings the gun back to the "high ready position" every time he moves. Then, coming into each position, he presents the gun to the target exactly the same way every time.

He defines the "high ready" as having the gun close to the chest, at about sternum level, muzzle slightly up.

On longer runs, he breaks the grip.

Whatever works.

TGO is the one to watch on the Nationals DVD...he is shooting sooner that the others as he comes into position. Eric and Todd don't have hardly any time lost either, but TGO seems to always be shooting sooner.

Ahh..Flex beat me to it. As soon as I started to read this thread I started to think about the "Burner Series." We actually shot a stage at our Thursday night league last night that had 4 different shooting boxes spaced fairly close together. As I RO'd, I watched the better shooters, and almost all of them kept the gun at eye level. I have been trying to do this as much as possible, and it seems to be helping, I won the stage last night. ;)

I think the key is having the gun at eye level as you are entering the shooting box. Short distance you are not going to have a chance to lower it over longer distances do what you need to get it all moving then get the gun into position before you are stopped in the position.

I think I've been using the high ready position for most of my time shooting the last few years. I find it's hard to run this way but easy to move and shoot. I tend to hold the gun high and bring it in to my body when on the move in between groups of targets. It looks funny, but it's pretty effective as a time saver.

Vince

I always followed the Burner tapes. High for 1- 4 steps. Run like a sprinter. without breaking 180, if longer. Do you notice that Saul shoot faster doubles than most GM's Might be his secret or problem? It was hard to analyze the 2003 Open Nats CD because it was an accuracy biased match. At least as far as I could tell. I didn't shoot it.

It is a version of economy of motion that seems to keep coming up. :D