Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee dies w Dillon press

e-mishka

Is that ok to use Lee dies in dillon press?

I need to buy 9mm dies and lee seems to be 30% less then dillon, are there any drawbacks of using lee dies?

If you have a SDB then you need to use Dillon SDB dies, but that is it as far as I know you can use Lee dies in all the other presses.

I have excellent results using Lee Dies in Dillon Presses and prefer Lee's first stage sizer over Dillon. It sizes closer to the extractor groove and the punch design is better. If there's something in the case the punch will push up and more times than not won't break. Lee's seating die is very easy to adjust once you get it close by using a small knob on the top of the die. you can mark the knob with a sharpie for varying bullet weights and the adjustment comes in quickly. The crimp die is a wash. I don't use Lee's factory crimp die as such back the setting off and use it as a taper crimp die. With Lee's seating die you can modify the insert or send it back to Lee with a bullet and they will make an insert that fits that bullet. Helps in keeping over all length close.

I would purchase a few primer punches when you order your dies, if it does break it's always at a bad time. That's with any die set.

I don't care for Lee's locking nuts and would recommend Dillon one inch nuts. On my 650 I had to place the lock nut on the sizer on the bottom as there's not enough thread to lock the die.

I know the carbide die set says no lube needed but the whole process runs smoother if you'll lube the cases. It's easier on the dies, the press and the operator.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be just me but I used Lee dies in my single-stage to resize/deprime about 1K cases. Never used any lube because it was the carbide die. Yesterday, was about to use it in my 550B and noticed the carbide die is cracked in three places. Going to send back to Lee to be replaced under warranty.

Edited by itlogo

I use Lee dies for all my pistol calibers with the Factory Crimp Die, 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38spl, and even .45-70.

(combination between XL650 and BL550)

No problems to note, and the universal deprimer die is especially nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Lee dies on 1050s since ~1987. The older Lee dies were too short in the threaded part, and could not be locked at the right height with the standard locking rings. I got around that by installing the toolhead set-screws (Dillon RL1000 style), or by re-machining the Lee lock rings to attach from below the toolhead.

The newer Lee dies, since ~2000, have longer bodies and can be used on Dillon presses without any mods.

LT

Edited by Linear Thinker

I have been using Lee dies including the FCD and Lee presses for over 25 years. I bought a 650 from Brian in December. I tried my proven Lee 9 mm dies first in the 650 but the Lee dies seemed to slow my production down. The cartridges needed extra attention to insure that they entered the opening of the Lee dies precisely. I also bought extra Dillon die nuts so that I could use the Lee dies. After a few tries with the Lee dies I got the Dillon dies out of the box, set them up and the cartridges did not need the extra attention entering the opening of the Dillon dies. I could just crank away. No problems. I put my 9 mm. Lee dies back in my Lee turret for short runs or working up loads.

I like the Lee dies in the Lee presses and the Dillon dies in the 650. The Dillon dies with the pull pins are easier to clean than the Lee dies. Both brands have their strong points.

Just my opinion.

Bobby H.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started setting up my press and have a newbie question about lee dies:

On the bullet seating and factory crimp dies there is a screw in knob on top, what is it for?

And when adjusting lee dies, is it same process like for dillon dies?

Thanks

Finally started setting up my press and have a newbie question about lee dies:

On the bullet seating and factory crimp dies there is a screw in knob on top, what is it for?

And when adjusting lee dies, is it same process like for dillon dies?

Thanks

The seating die knob sets the seating depth and the crimp die knob sets the amount of crimp. The process for setting up the dies is the same in general, but you should follow the instructions that came with the Lee dies. If you don't have the instructions for some reason look here:

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/Pistol4.pdf

I was able to adust bullet seating die ok. btw my goal was 1.151 oal , closest i got was 1.152 , is that critical difference or i should be ok?

In the lee manual for dies, it doesn't really say how much to adusy crimp die, any advise on that. Im just not sure to what extent its supposed to be crimped.

I reload 9mm on my 650. I have to say, I have quite a mix of dies on it! Station 1 I use a Redding carbide decapper/re-sizer, on station 4 I use a Lee seating die, and on stage 5 I use a Hornday taper crimp die. It's a long story but this combo personally works best for me.

Latest update, I cant get consistant oal range between 1.148-1.156. Shimmed toolhead, adjusted shell plate to almost no whigle, still have that inconsistancy. Im using barrys 147 gn rn bullet, and thinking to switch to dillon dies and see if seating stem is better fit for that bullet.

Don't waste your time or money on a new set of dies. The inconsistency is coming more than likely from the bullets you are using and not the dies...

Mick

quote name='e-mishka' timestamp='1330372909' post='1647563']

Latest update, I cant get consistant oal range between 1.148-1.156. Shimmed toolhead, adjusted shell plate to almost no whigle, still have that inconsistancy. Im using barrys 147 gn rn bullet, and thinking to switch to dillon dies and see if seating stem is better fit for that bullet.