Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Friday Flame War 10JAN03

twix

OK Ron! The same folks who ripped former President Clinton and called him every name in the book are the first idiots to jump up and slam anyone who even hints that the current President may be less than perfect. Reminds me of the Brothers jumping anyone who disrespects Janet. Am I defending everything Clinton did? NO way. But I will respect the office. Big pet peeve.

tightloop--

Gah, how could I have missed "li-bary"????!!! It's going on my list!

(The previously posted list is a collection gathered over several years.)

[very heavy rant mode on briefly]

(While we're on the subject...) People who mistake (or automatically correlate) Patchouli Oil for (with) Marijuana. They are NOT related, I swear. Even hippies will tell you that, for pete's sake.

[brief (but serious) heavy rant mode off]

BrianH--

Now, "supposebly" is a new one on me! (Mind if I add it to my list...?)

2alpha---

You certainly have my permisssion to "...(could) go on."

I hate the communistic attitude people have toward professional sports.  (b*itchin' about the money the players make)

We live in a society that is based on freedom...including economic freedom.  Folks are free to spend their money any way they see fit.  If it is for entertainment (sports), the best entertainers deserve the big bucks.  There is nobody else on the planet that can do what they do...and I'd rather see the talent get the money than the owners (though they do their part too).

I hate Don King.

I hate cities that tax their citizens to pay for Stadiums.

I most defiantly hate Patchouli Oil.  I had a roommate that wore the stuff, and every time I walk by someone wearing it I ... well I'm not going to exaggerate.  I just don't like it and you can generally spot the offender.

Try and get a little stuff stirred up in honor of the departed 3QT and here comes 'ole Wet Blanket Flex$. So Flex, if ya like free-market over-payed athletes so much, what's so bad about Don King? Seems about the same to me.

I too hate when people say athletes are over payed. You are payed by your ability, I'll wager 10 - 1 if you could do it, you wouldn't be complaining too much.

I hate not shooting for weeks.

I hate people who treat me with no respect because I'm 18.

I hate the bastard that cut me off on the freeway this morning.

Flex

don't pee on my leg and tell me it is raining.  The only way the players get the bucks the do is for the cities to give the owners bigger stadiums with bigger better concessions and parking fees to pay the players the $$ they want.  One day the astrodome was the 8th wonder of the world and the next week it was a falling down piece of crap if you listen to Bud Adams and unless the city built a new stadium for him he was leaving town.

I called him to volunteer to load the bus!!!

They talk about terrorism coming from the Middle East, well the pro sports owners and leagues have been holding the US Citizens hostage for years and threatening to leave us without a pro sports team if we did not give them what they want.

Next to all the idiots in Hollywood using oxygen that would have been better served being used by someone else, pro athletes are next in line as being totally worthless.

d/cutts--

Not everyone does like Patchouli Oil--and that's OK. It's the goofy doofuses that think if they smell it on someone then that someone is automatically a drug-crazed looney!!! It's just the issue of ignorance that's driven me nutz for years. (I wonder what they thought of people who wore Jade East...?)

Ital/Stal--

Getting "cut off on the freeway..." Well, that happened to someone out our way yesterday and they ran each other off the road (into a ditch near the freeway) then one guy pulled out a handgun and started blasting away at the other... It got a little outa hand. Road rage. Even here in Eugene.

Along with the carjackings.

I hate anyone or anything who doesn't understand the power to declare war belongs to the legislative branch, not the executive branch, of the U.S. feral gubmint. We're talking fourth grade civics class here, people! I hate anyone or anything who acts like the U.S. is at war, including the head doofus-in-a-suit. And I absolutely loathe anyone or anything who doesn't respect dissent.

Propaganda

While I'm at it, what ever happened to sovereign nations providing for their own defense? "We've produced more weapons of mass destruction than we'll ever need, but don't you uppity second- and third-world nations even think about developing them, or we'll come over and bomb the shjt out of you."

Earth Liberation Front burned some of a PA Ford dealer's SUVs to protest the SUVs' destruction of the earth by way of emissions. In doing so, how much did they pollute the earth with their fire? Hey ELF, don't be such pussies going after the middleman... go after the SUV owners themselves. Start with say, suburban Texas and see how far you get.

At least some of the people who are pro-freedom have the sense not to legitimize their opponents by referring to them as "safety-minded" or "pro-crime-control," they call them "anti-gun." (And some of them are starting to call them anti-freedom, even better.) But the people with land use and property rights interests (ranchers, off-roaders, hunters, mountain bikers, loggers, etc.) play right into the hands of their enemies by calling them "environmentalists." BULL! Call a spade a spade! (Yeah I know, it may have come from the idealogical "ism" like communism, etc. but you are more associating them with the environment than with the idealogy.)

Hey tightloop, welcome to democracy at work. The sheeple want to tax you to pay for their ballparks, majority rules, now get back to work, comrade.

Tightloop, I know weed is illegal. I just think reverse stings should only be used in very rare circumstances on a lot more important crimes.  In the show I watched they actualy rammed the guys car after he made the buy, he only went about 10 feet and then the police Rammed his car and did the usual guns drawn take down. No problem with the take down, but ramming the car over a $20 bag of weed?  Common that's over the line.  If it where a murder or an armed robber ok.  They used the excuse that they wanted to make sure the guy didn't have a chance to hide the dope.  It looked like about 10 or 15 police where involved in the whole deal.  They said if they cut down on the buyers the sellers would have to move somewhere else.  Seems like if they arrested the sellers they'd be moving to jail, maybe thats just me.  I'm not justifying or excusing drug use it just seems to me that the system is out of balance

Good four page rant going here, I gotta be in on this one!  

OK, I hate it when people say that something is in "close proximity".

I hate it when the safety metrics people list "near-miss accidents".  Have the guts to call a spade a spade, folks.  It was a NEAR-HIT!  SOMBODY ALMOST GOT DUSTED, OK!   (Near-miss sounds as harmless as a rabbit fart! )  The guy who invented that term obviously wasn't standing in the compressor room when the cylinder head came off.  If he had, instead of a safety man reporting near-misses, we'd have a priest certifying genuine miracles.  

And finally,  I hate that fact that Connie Chung has her own so called news show again.  

On a brighter note, Donald Fagan celebrated his 55th birthday today.   (Can you hear me, Dr. Woo?)  

Pppphhhhhttt! That is the sound of A) Pat Benatars %$#&% B)this thread going flat C) BEner's turning off their computers so they can watch the former President Carter's TV special. Sorry, James, there's about an hour left Hoosier time I tried to stir 'em up in your honor. DIP.

after my first trifle of a response, here's something a bit more "substantial"

Yesterday, the Indiana gov't approved the go ahead for the Interstate 69 (yes, I-69) extension from Indianapolis to Evansville.  This debate has gone on for years and years and finnally was approved at the state level (we'll just see of the Fed $$$ comes in).  Anyway, there were several options to run this road.  The gov't, in there infinite wisdom elects to plow this road is a more or less straight line from Indy southwest to E'ville.  This is something like a $1.7 billion project.  If it goes, something like 450 homes will have to be displaced, countless business and acres upon acres of forest and farm land.  Folks, Indiana isn't that big of a state, there isn't much in E'ville anyway (no offense to those of live there).  What makes this worse is the alternate route that didn't get approved would be $800 million less and basically take over an existing 4-lane road.  Why didn't it make it?  Its 13 minutes slower than the route they appoved.  WOW!

Term Limits:  Politics doesn't come up much here (thankfully, but since we're talking of Dub-ya...) but, these a$$'s who serve more than two or even one term should be taken out back and beaten brainless, then allowed back in office.  Once you serve more than a term, you no longer are able to represent the people who "elected" (another subject) you there in the first place, meaning you are out of tuch with the constituants(sp?). That's all I'll say there...

Law Enforcement that spends more time procuring revenue than fighting real crime.  

There's an IPSC match run by some good folks near Evansville. As soon as they build the 1.7 trillion dollar road we could get there in less than half a day. That's cheap for a good match in Indiana, what the hell are you thinking?:)

How long will the road actually be. If its 10 miles a 13 minute saving is quite a bit but you will have to drive at somewhere in the vicinity of 133mph on average for the entire trip, assuming you could drive at 55mph normally. I don't know about you but my wife gets a little upset when I get to about 80mph. But hey that's my pet peeve.

I feel better after reading Erik's (right on the money) response to dissent not being patriotic.

But I still must vent on another item of interest.

I hate my tax dollars being used to apply draconian measures to the enforcement of petty laws. Against the law, or not, seizure of personal property for any petty offense (anything less than violence, or fraud is petty) begins to reek in my book.

Lets take this a step further. If firearms were "against the law", how would it feel to have your house seized because you chose to keep a proscribed item in it. The Soviet Union made personal firearms posession a capital offense early in the last century. I suppose that punishment was justifiable because it was "against the law".

Regards,

(Edited by George at 11:06 pm on Jan. 10, 2003)

Oh jeez, and I thought all the bureaucratic waste and idiocy was here in Eugene! Weird road deals (we got 'em, too); decisions (that take 30 years to make) to move large, illegal concrete monuments (huge cross) from one side of town to another to a religious college campus, oddly, that's having a very public racism scandal*; weird land deals; bringing Hyundai (a firm deeply in debt even before it GOT here!) into town to perpetrate a number of huge insults (polite term) and expenses upon the community; local economic development folks seemingly not supporting local business (of all sizes) so that many of them have folded up or imploded (and certainly not bringing any new ones IN); United Airlines just flew out of here for the last time yesterday; and the State of Oregon is determined to raise our state income tax again on the 28th if we don't vote it down. They're calling it a "temporary" tax. My a$$, it's temporary! There's no such thing!

*The cross was originally set up on a hilltop early on (it was lighted on occasion) to signal the community when the KKK was convening. Blacks coming thru town by train did NOT debark if they saw that the cross was lit...... sheesh.

Quote: from jhgtyre on 9:01 am on Jan. 10, 2003

I hate jerk-offs who tailgate, cut people off, and in general drive like the morning commute is a NASCAR event!  So you bought a ______(insert useless vanity mobile type here) and you want to show the world how cool you are.  FINE!  Go to a freaking race track!  

I've always wanted to make a bumper sticker that read:

"This isn't Daytona!

You're not Dale Jr.!

And you're not drafting!"

But by the time they got close enough to read it they probably would have already rear-ended me.