Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 mods

SMSI

Assume you are starting with a new stock Glock 34. What would you do to it for 3 Gun? Basically no limits, but function and reliability is crucial. Dont hang off the raggedy edge of reliability. if you assume certainbullet weights or loads, let us know that, but it should run both 115 factory and 147 subsonic rounds. Oh yeah, no optics or compensator. Please be specific as to parts, i.e. name the sights, trigger parts, etc. Thanks!

I run a G34 for 3 gun.

My choices are a result of not wanting/needing to worry about function.

Warren Tactical sights, black rear, FO front, tall front .245. I ran the .215 high sight for a few years until the need for shooting beyond 30 yds became more important.

Wolff reduced power striker spring with Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector. I prefer a trigger that allows me to prep through the "gravel" and get to a stopping point, then a short press, little over travel. This set-up has been reliable for years on reloads and factory loads I have tried. Stock recoil spring for reliability.

I do however use Federal Primers in reloads for competition. I run 124gr MG JHPs at about 1100fps (140ish PF), accurate and knocks down steel well.

David E.

After a few years of tinkering I went back to a minimalist. Just Warren sights for me. I even changed out the lightened trigger on my G35 I use in Limited so all my Glocks have a similar trigger. Figure it would be easier feeling the same trigger in Production, SSP, Limited, 3G. Just me though, not everyone feels the same way.

I would run a Vanek trigger and sights of your choice. I prefer Sevigny Competition with a fiber optic front. Dawson +5 basepads on all the mags.

Done!

+1 on the Vanek Trigger. I love mine! My apologies on my lack of knowledge of rules in 3 gun, but I have a Dawson Heavy Ice Magwell on mine and it is great. I added a tungsten guide ride and a 13lb recoil spring.. but not sure it makes a big difference. Agree on that you need to find some sights you like. I have 3dot Trijicon on mine and they work well.

This is exactly what I've done to my Glock 34 for 3-Gun:

Ghost Rocket Connector

Dawson Adjustable Rear Sight

Dawson Front Sight

Wolff Striker Spring

Arredondo Mag Extensions

Pearce Plug

I don't use a magwell because I've shot Production for years and like to keep things the same. Besides that I just polished the parts of the trigger mechanism that contact each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I put on a Heini rear and Dawson FO front, I'm still paying with what height I want.

Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector and polished up all the triger components

DP Super-Heavy Magwell. 6.7oz of brass really makes it shoot flat

arredondo +5 basepads

I'm thinking of playing around with the springs next, maybe just a reduced power striker and added power trigger spring, but I want it to shoot my reloads with Win primers without issues. We'll see.

• 2 months later...

SPA rear adjustable sights, Dawson precision 235? front sight, 13 lb imsi recoil spring, stock barrel shoots better than most shooters, Ghost rocket 3.5 lb connector, 5.0 or 4.5lb striker spring, 0.25 cent trigger job, stock trigger spring, zev overtravel / pretravel kit + weighted mag well and guide rods. Top 2 that made my 34 shoot better is the front sights and the recoil spring. Trigger work is close third.

I'm thinking of playing around with the springs next, maybe just a reduced power striker and added power trigger spring, but I want it to shoot my reloads with Win primers without issues. We'll see.

Use federal primers. I was using wsp and switched to fed. WSP I would get 1 light strike/FTF in 500 rounds. I have gone a couple thousand with no light strikes on federal.

Edited by usmc0326

SPA rear adjustable sights, Dawson precision 235? front sight, 13 lb imsi recoil spring, stock barrel shoots better than most shooters, Ghost rocket 3.5 lb connector, 5.0 or 4.5lb striker spring, 0.25 cent trigger job, stock trigger spring, zev overtravel / pretravel kit + weighted mag well and guide rods. Top 2 that made my 34 shoot better is the front sights and the recoil spring. Trigger work is close third.

Use federal primers. I was using wsp and switched to fed. WSP I would get 1 light strike/FTF in 500 rounds. I have gone a couple thousand with no light strikes on federal.

I've read that, thanks. I have a ton of Win primers so I don't really want to get the trigger to a point where I need to run Fed. I think I'm going to stick with a Ghost Rocket connector for now. It's treated me well over the years.

Do you run a Ghost rocket 3.5 lb connector AND a zev overtravel / pretravel kit? The overtravel is just a screw in the ejector housing right? Do you feel the need to use that AND the rocket connector? What's the pretravel ajustment?

Mine is a 35 so I will stick with the things in common w/ the 34 and not caliber specific. The internals, except barrels, and sights are the same on both my Gen 3 35 for production and my hybrid Gen 2 22 frame and 35 slide for Limited/3gun. Keeps the trigger as close to the same as possible:

Slide:

Barsto fitted barrel (came with the gun, production 35 has stock barrel)

Lightning Strike titanium striker and plunger, light plunger spring, 5lb Wolf striker spring (got a 4lb to try though not yet)

Warren/Sevigny rear and Fiber optic front

Grip/Frame:

Ghost 3.5 connector

Polished trigger bar

stock trigger spring

Tungsten full length guide rod from Speed Shooter Specialties

13 or 15lb ISMI recoil spring depending on load

Dawson heavy magwell with heavy brass slug

- big difference was the work done by Dan at Southpaw Customs. Won the work from Dan at the pistol ProAm last year. What a difference- double undercut, built up beavertail and aggressive texture added. I have large hands so no grip reduction and it was a Gen 2 frame so did not need to have the finger grooves removed. The double undercut and the large magwell combine to put my large hands high and tight against the beavertail each time giving me the best high hold I have ever had on a Glock.

Still mainly shooting production but this gun is calling me to limited every time I use in in 3gun or other matches!

My old g34 had a vanek trigger, jagar light weight striker, sevigny sights, skateboard tape on grip and a 11LB ISMI recoil spring. Some people think the 11 is to light but it worked for me and the recoil was much flatter.

My 34 is decked out as follows:

-Glockworx Fulcrum standard trigger (the black, production legal one). This also includes the striker, firing pin safety, etc.

-ISMI stainless steel guide rod

-ISMI 11lb recoil spring

-Fulcrum lightened striker

-ZEV Tech competition spring kit

-Dawson fiber optic front/Dawson adjustable rear sight

-Gorilla Grip stick-on grip

-Glockmeister grip plug

All legal for USPSA production and shoots very nicely.

- big difference was the work done by Dan at Southpaw Customs. Won the work from Dan at the pistol ProAm last year. What a difference- double undercut, built up beavertail and aggressive texture added. I have large hands so no grip reduction and it was a Gen 2 frame so did not need to have the finger grooves removed. The double undercut and the large magwell combine to put my large hands high and tight against the beavertail each time giving me the best high hold I have ever had on a Glock.

Still mainly shooting production but this gun is calling me to limited every time I use in in 3gun or other matches!

Since a magwell and any grip work that changes the stock profile automatically kicks you up to limited, I would say it's calling pretty loudly. If someone wanted to be nitpicky at a match, your gun is not USPSA production legal. And since there's no major power factor in production, you're robbing yourself of points anyway. Just shoot limited.

Edited by GlockDoc

(edit) Actually, I take that back. Since Limited calls for .40 or larger, a modded 34 isn't legal in limited either. You'd only be legal shooting open minor, or get a match barrel and load 9mm major.

actually limited is fine with a 9mm just scored Minor

(edit) Actually, I take that back. Since Limited calls for .40 or larger, a modded 34 isn't legal in limited either. You'd only be legal shooting open minor, or get a match barrel and load 9mm major.

actually limited is fine with a 9mm just scored Minor

You're right--I stand corrected. 9mm is OK for Limited, but 9mm major is a no-no in Limited. I actually removed the piece you quoted when I realized he has a G35 anyway. :)

Since a magwell and any grip work that changes the stock profile automatically kicks you up to limited, I would say it's calling pretty loudly. If someone wanted to be nitpicky at a match, your gun is not USPSA production legal. And since there's no major power factor in production, you're robbing yourself of points anyway. Just shoot limited.

I use a 35 for production that has the same sights, trigger, etc. as the Limited gun but is Production legal. I am the local MD, would hate to have to bump myself to open :) I was saying that when I do shoot something other than USPSA production I use the gun with all the mods above and every time it makes me think I need to ditch Production! Maybe next year, would be fun to shoot the FL Open next year with fewer reloads- ten 30-32 round stages makes for LOTS of reloading!

I use a 35 for production that has the same sights, trigger, etc. as the Limited gun but is Production legal. I am the local MD, would hate to have to bump myself to open :) I was saying that when I do shoot something other than USPSA production I use the gun with all the mods above and every time it makes me think I need to ditch Production! Maybe next year, would be fun to shoot the FL Open next year with fewer reloads- ten 30-32 round stages makes for LOTS of reloading!

Ah... that makes more sense. I apologize--having just been at a match where people were signing up as "production/major" and running long stages with 19 rounds per mag in their "production" guns, I must have gotten a little over-sensitive about the rules. :)

Edited by GlockDoc

Do you run a Ghost rocket 3.5 lb connector AND a zev overtravel / pretravel kit? The overtravel is just a screw in the ejector housing right? Do you feel the need to use that AND the rocket connector? What's the pretravel ajustment?

I run the 3.5 ghost rocket connector and the overtravel grub screw in the ejector housing, the pre travel is removed by adding material behind the trigger on the trigger bar. Doesn't do a whole lot shot to shot, But it's nice to not have extra slack to take out. Overall, For a stock 34 gen 3 I would just throw some sights on it and run that till you got used to that. If your running downloaded ammo run the 13 lb spring and get the tru grips. Gen 4 doesn't need the tru grip as much. Just for fun I got another G34 gen 3. Going to shoot it bone stock except for the 13 lb spring (with my production hand loads the stock pistol won't cycle properly. I mean, you could go crazy modifying the pistol but in the end there isn't much difference if you don't work on you first.

Edited by usmc0326