Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legal Issues with starting a shooting match

theycallmeingot

We use private land for our matches. we each sign a waiver for each match. the club uses the NRA backed insurance policy and the land owner should have a umbrella policy.

Yes. Also, are you running a "homespun" match or a sanctioned match? If you run a sacntioned match under a National organization with safety rules THEY publish, that affords another liability target should something bad happen. If it is "homespun" there is technically a much greater liability that you would assume.

thanks for the replies.

by the sounds of it, i think it's going to be more trouble than i'm willing to dive into right now.

There was a match in Leesburg, Fl for a few months -

the owner put a ton of effort into it - was arguably

The Best matches I've seen in five states -

I guess someone must have given him local permission

to shoot on his farm - he did a lot of bulldozing to

create berms - but I did see a Lot of Cars going by

on a fairly busy road just past the berms:((

They shut him down two years ago - huge loss to IPSC

shooters in the area.

Sounds like one problem you might have is that you

obtain permission from somebody, and somebody else

shuts you down a year later:((

Good luck,

Jack

I'm not a chemist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night...However, how lead reacts with the soil is based on the pH of the soil. Some people might claim that lead is leaching into the ground water... Err... Their well water.

I guess that explains why you can go to Civil War battlefields and still find musket balls still intact for the most part but with maybe a white oxidation coating.

The Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club had an issue where somebody snitched the club out to the EPA or maybe just the Missouri Department of Conservation ????? So where the trap fields were there was a creek running through. The club placed ....IIRC... A large culvert pipe where the creek was. Then they took the dirt from the earthen berms separating the pistol bays and used that as fill to cover up the culvert pipe and to divert the creek water into the culvert pipe. Then the pistol bays gotten the concrete Lego block "berms".

If there are any other ARPC members following along, feel free to correct me if I got any of the details wrong.

I'd be curious to know if there ever was an accidental shooting at a match of some sort where a plaintiff tried suing USPSA???

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a chemist, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night...However, how lead reacts with the soil is based on the pH of the soil. Some people might claim that lead is leaching into the ground water... Err... Their well water.

I guess that explains why you can go to Civil War battlefields and still find musket balls still intact for the most part but with maybe a white oxidation coating.

The Arnold Rifle and Pistol Club had an issue where somebody snitched the club out to the EPA or maybe just the Missouri Department of Conservation ????? So where the trap fields were there was a creek running through. The club placed ....IIRC... A large culvert pipe where the creek was. Then they took the dirt from the earthen berms separating the pistol bays and used that as fill to cover up the culvert pipe and to divert the creek water into the culvert pipe. Then the pistol bays gotten the concrete Lego block "berms".

If there are any other ARPC members following along, feel free to correct me if I got any of the details wrong.

I'd be curious to know if there ever was an accidental shooting at a match of some sort where a plaintiff tried suing USPSA???

Some things off the top of my mind at the City Government Level. Who knows what you would have to sastify those at the State Level.

Zoning issues

Noise ordinances

Site plans

Tax issues if you charge money to shoot.

Permits

Insurance

Environmental

Lic.

Parking issues

WT Granny has a good list, with permits, site plans and licenses being more sub issues of zoning. zoning and insurance being the big 2. If you are going to do this regularly, you REALLY need to do some good politiking with the neighbors. Reagrdless of the letter of the law, if you PO the neighbors, you will likely have trouble.

I am an attorney, and this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.