Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine capacity question

scffacenter1

Hi, all I am new at the USPSA thing and plan to shoot my first match in the month of January. I've been practicing on most everything, but a question came up today and I did some searches and looked through the rule book but wasn't very clear on the answer.

First I have a Taurus pt1911 in 9mm that I plan to shoot in limited 10 division. I am getting ready to place my order for some Tripp 10 round magazines. I understand that all magazines used must be of the same capacity and loaded to division/mechanical capacity. But could I use one of my stock taurus 9rd magazines to place a round into the chamber, then remove it and place it in a back pocket or somewhere else and only use the tripp during the COF? This would allow me to purchase one less magazine (for right now) and still have the ten plus one capacity in my gun. Thanks for all your help.

... I understand that all magazines used must be of the same capacity and loaded to division/mechanical capacity. ...

That's an IDPA rule, NOT a USPSA rule; you're posting in the USPSA section and referencing "USPSA" in your first sentence, and "limited 10 division" (another USPSA reference) in the first sentence of the second paragraph.

Regardless of which organization's rules you use, the procedure you ask about is within the rules (not prohibited). You're good to go.

Enjoy the match.

Best,

ac

Hi, all I am new at the USPSA thing and plan to shoot my first match in the month of January. I've been practicing on most everything, but a question came up today and I did some searches and looked through the rule book but wasn't very clear on the answer.

First I have a Taurus pt1911 in 9mm that I plan to shoot in limited 10 division. I am getting ready to place my order for some Tripp 10 round magazines. I understand that all magazines used must be of the same capacity and loaded to division/mechanical capacity. But could I use one of my stock taurus 9rd magazines to place a round into the chamber, then remove it and place it in a back pocket or somewhere else and only use the tripp during the COF? This would allow me to purchase one less magazine (for right now) and still have the ten plus one capacity in my gun. Thanks for all your help.

You must be mixing up game rules. The must be "loaded to division/mechanical capacity" is only for IDPA. For USPSA, shooters may load to division capacity.

Short answer: You are good to go.

Long answer: For USPSA, you can overload and under load your magazines if you wish. Overloading your past your division capacity will bump you into Open division if the magazine is overloaded after the start signal. No penalty for underloading a magazine.

8.1.4 Unless complying with a Division requirement (see Appendix D), a competitor must not be restricted on the number of rounds to be loaded or reloaded in a handgun. Written stage briefings may only stipulate when the handgun is to be loaded or when mandatory reloads are required (when permitted under Rules 1.1.5.1 and 1.1.5.2).

Yeah, but as far as the competition goes, you're shooting minor in the same division (Single Stack) against those shooting major. Does having two more rounds in the gun really make up for the disadvantage of being scored minor?

Yeah, but as far as the competition goes, you're shooting minor in the same division (Single Stack) against those shooting major. Does having two more rounds in the gun really make up for the disadvantage of being scored minor?

If you're quick enough, it sure can.

If you're quick enough, it sure can.

Or if you shoot all Alphas

Difference is in L10 EVERYONE has 10 rounds. In SS minor, 9mm guys do. The stage can make a big difference as to the benefit of major vs minor. If it is setup as more 8round friendly with little steel its not as much of a benefit. If its set up more for 10 rounds it can definately help to have those extra rounds. Alot of steel also helps as you have more margin for error on a minor gun than a major gun round wise. I shoot better with the 9mm than the major PF guns both more accurate and faster

Thanks for all your help. I'm gonna look into SS. I know that with a 9mm I can have 10 rounds in a mag, but what about ten plus one in the chamber to start? This is still legal isn't it?

Yes, you can have 10 plus one in the chamber. If you watch, most competitors at the make ready command will load one and then refresh that magazine or exchange it for a full mag.

There is only one issue, which doesn't effect you. In division that shoot with limited 10 rounds(production and L10) you can start with 11 round in your first magazine, load one into chamber and have 10 rounds in magazine at start. The problem is with unloaded starts and the shooter forgets that he had 11 rounds in starting magazine, if he is caught by the RO he gets bumped into open.(with an unloaded start, after the start command when he loads that mag it will be with 11 rounds)

When you're starting out, I'd argue that it can move you up a place or two, especially if distant steel gives you a little trouble.....

If you're accurate but slow, then the time saved from some reloads may pay dividends....

If you're competing for first of three, among similarly skilled friends, who are shooting major, then maybe not so much....

But really you won't know if it's a valid option for your goal unless you try....

I really enjoy shooting SS minor with 10 rounds. It can be a lot of fun.

One of our local hot-rocks made (Master) shoots a SSTK Minor gun, and is v-e-r-y competitive.

Those extra rounds matter....if you can take advantage of them.

;)

(wish I could)

One of our local hot-rocks made (Master) shoots a SSTK Minor gun, and is v-e-r-y competitive.

Hasn't BJ Norris shot Single Stack Nationals for the past two years using a .38 Super pistol? I guess that, when you shoot as fast as that kid, you can shoot Minor and still kick some serious butt! :ph34r:

I really enjoy shooting SS minor with 10 rounds. It can be a lot of fun.

Those extra rounds matter....if you can take advantage of them.

;)

(wish I could)

This summer, I bet plenty of major shooters with mine. I'm way out of practice now, though. It's amazing exactly how perishable pistol skills are from just a few months of not shooting.

I'm definitely not abandoning major calibers, but 9mm is so much fun to shoot, that I wish I'd bought this thing a long time ago.

I remember one stage where I really used the extra two rounds to my advantage. It worked beautifully, but not well enough to beat the master class shooter with a major gun on the stage.

The best part is how cheap it is to miss with a 9mm rather than a .45. :roflol:

Edited by twodownzero

I've got a springfield loaded in .45 so if I find myself at a huge disadvantage i'll shoot it, but I find I really like shooting the Taurus more. All this is just to get me by till I can afford that STI edge that stole my heart. :wub:

The loaded in 45 is my singlestack gun... I like to go BOOM when I shoot, not pehhh... (I'm kidding, I was thinking about buying an STI single in 9... so I could be like the cool kids)