Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just started SS..... spare parts list?

G17fan

Hello fellow shooters, I just started SS and wanted to get your opinions as to what are the best parts to have on hand based on what fails on a ss more often than other parts..

Also, what is the best prep for a ss? grease, oil etc?

I am also using a shock buffer... Should I be? Does it hinder performance?

Thanks.

Edited by G17fan

Hello fellow shooters, I just started SS and wanted to get your opinions as to what are the best parts to have on hand based on what fails on a ss more often than other parts..

Also, what is the best prep for a ss? grease, oil etc?

I am also using a shock buffer... Should I be? Does it hinder performance?

Thanks.

IMHO - I don't recommend the Buffers, they may cause short cycles (Depends on if you use in front of, or behind guide rod buffers..) and that would suck..;

Spare magazine(s), primary spring set (One of ea. type maybe) a small allen wrench for over-travel adjustment.. (Usually, if ever this will be to ADD add'l. over-travel

because you've taken out TOO much.. Lol.!) A bushing wrench and I like to have a Brownell's MSH Pin punch w/ handle...

Good luck & be safe..!

In several years of shooting 1911's I have broken:

2 slide stops, one on a poorly fitted gun, one just broke the tab that

contacts the follower.

1 firing pin stop

Wore out one mainspring plunger (titanium)

launched one safety/slide stop detent-spring unit

launched a recoil spring plug

had an extractor go bad

broke one ejector---over inserted mag, not during a match.

I keep fiberoptic rod for the front sight, spare extractor and firing pin stop,

full set of springs, spare firing pin, replacement detent/spring assy.

A properly set up 1911 Single Stack gun should run a L-O-N-G time with zero problems.

What kind is it? Grab an extra firing pin,cost me a match 1 time and a fitted extractor,that also cost me a match 1 time..now I carry those along witha recoil spring,plug,main spring,and sear spring,and if you have a fiber optic front sight keep some xtra rods..I also carry one Of those all in one Wilson 1911 tools..

fitted thumb safety, extractor, ejector, firing pin stop, firing pin, slide stop, pin set, recoil/firing pin springs to start with. since majors are such a big financial undertaking I have spares for just about every single small part in my guns

I keep most of the small parts at home and just toss a backup gun in the range bag.

Al

+1!

Just remember to sight in your backup gun and practice with it every once in a while. Pulled mine out a match once and discovered I'd forgotten to sight it in after I'd changed the sights! 23% on a classifier is a terrible way to discover you can't hit head shots because you're shooting a couple of inches high and to the right!

I keep most of the small parts at home and just toss a backup gun in the range bag.

Al

+1!

Just remember to sight in your backup gun and practice with it every once in a while. Pulled mine out a match once and discovered I'd forgotten to sight it in after I'd changed the sights! 23% on a classifier is a terrible way to discover you can't hit head shots because you're shooting a couple of inches high and to the right!

++1

Thanks everyone for your input. One questions I do have is:

where can I find these replacement parts for my loaded model? I have looked at Midway, Power Factor Shooting and a few other places and some of the parts look different and I dont want to buy the wrong parts that might not fit...

Again thanks!

Thanks everyone for your input. One questions I do have is:

where can I find these replacement parts for my loaded model? I have looked at Midway, Power Factor Shooting and a few other places and some of the parts look different and I dont want to buy the wrong parts that might not fit...

Again thanks!

None of the parts will fit out of the box. Each one needs to be fit to the gun you're going to shoot them in.

My suggestion is as other have made: if you're at a match that is far away, carry another gun.

• 8 months later...

Hello: I would get the spare parts fitted to your pistol and use the originals as spares. Shooters Connection is a good place to get spare parts and so is Power Factor Shooting. I would also find a local good smith that can fit the new parts. Don't use a shook buff unless you change it every 500 rounds. I don't use them since I have seen too many bad things happen with them. As for springs I use a straight weight spring from ISMI but some others like the variable. Sprinco make both types as well as Wolff. Try some of both and see what you like and you may change your spring weight as you become a better shooter :cheers: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

i use straight weight springs as well.

Spares to have at the range:

- extractor (ripped the hook off mine and ended up borrowing someones spare which let me shoot the rest of the match)

- possibly slidestop

- plugin pin and springs

- recoil plug

- grip screws

- fiber optic rod if you use them/lighter

never broken a firing pin stop or firing pin yet.

Another benefit of the backup gun is that you are not doing failure analysis followed by battle field surgery on your prized Gun using a wobbly, dilapidated , possibly sandy , possibly damp safe table which is often situated over a pile of high weeds just asking for a little custom machined component to roll off into oblivion. :goof:

Or is this type of condition only found in Florida?

I do carry:

Grip Screws

Fiber optic rod

Anything that may cause me to launch a spring load component will be fixed when I return.

Al

Bingo! Your time and money are better spent setting up a QUALITY SS correctly, then duplicating it. Carry both guns to every match. If they are both set up correctly, you should be able switch between them without any adjustments or feeling that one gun is not quit the equal of the other and thus a loss of confidence. The guns do not have to be identical but they should be very close as in, same sights, same spring rates, same grips, same mag release, trigger, magwell.

IMO, spare parts are not the way to go when at a match.

Recoil spring or 2. had mine break on me tonight on my 3rd round into my 1st stage. Was failing to feed. That stage was over for me, but I was able to swap it out quickly and they let me re shoot the stage since it was a little slow that night.

A nice 1911 should run for a long time with no problems like, Open17 mentioned. I'm running a buffer on my warrior, mainly because I have a few and since I dropped it in I've never had any sort malfunction, ever. Besides that I keep a recoil spring in my bag and thats it. I don't have the luxury of having a back up SS at the moment. I dont feel like that luxury would even be warranted in my position. I have plans to start a 2011 build and move into limited soon so justifying another SS purchase would be nearly impossible. Although even if I wasn't planning on changing divisions I still wouldn't lose any sleep over not having a back up.

I'd think hard about starting to exchange internals and dropping a lot of cash into upgrades, besides a magwell of course, until I've shot the pistol thoroughly as it is, you may find that the cost is not worth the performance gains.

We sure do play an expensive game.

Edited by Bazzle