Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

Will a non-magnified red dot sight work in the AM division, or do we need magnification?

It will work. It might cost you a bit of time on the long range but you should make up that time on the CQB stages. Kurt Miller and the other 2-3 top 3 gunners in Oklahoma can lay a beating on you with Iron's and red dots even on the long stuff. It just takes practice.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will a non-magnified red dot sight work in the AM division, or do we need magnification?

If you can hit a steel flash target at 150-200, then no magnification needed. I think max AM rifle last year was ~150.

What on the Pro side of things?

I think 415 was the longest shot last year.

It worked last year. Longest shot was about 175 yds and visible. I usually shoot

irons or a dot and stages were fine for either.

Craig

It will work. It might cost you a bit of time on the long range but you should make up that time on the CQB stages. Kurt Miller and the other 2-3 top 3 gunners in Oklahoma can lay a beating on you with Iron's and red dots even on the long stuff. It just takes practice.

And keep you laughing while they are doing so.

Craig

Confirmation arrived from Linda. Thanks Linda!

Question on SAfety Rule

1.3 Rifles & Shotguns (carry from vehicle or between stages)

Rifles & shotguns should be cased or carried/slung with the muzzle up or down.

Rifles & shotguns should be carried with actions open and detachable magazines removed.

Might be a stupid question but can we carry our rifles and shotgun's with chamber flags instead or really has to be open chamber no flags? Does open chamber means totally open chamber OR chambered with chamber flags?

Another gray area for me is on section 3. Sportsmanship & Conduct

3.3 Range Officers may assess additional "unsportsmanlike conduct" procedural penalties to competitors that intentionally fail to make a good faith effort to engage and hit targets on order to gain advantage. The Range Master and Match Director shall be the final arbiters of any such penalties.

Chamber flags inserted in a partially closed bolt is fine. I personally prefer that chamber flags be used.

3.3 Range Officers may assess additional "unsportsmanlike conduct" procedural penalties to competitors that intentionally fail to make a good faith effort to engage and hit targets on order to gain advantage. The Range Master and Match Director shall be the final arbiters of any such penalties.

This is like just pull the trigger at a long shot and not really try to hit it. Never seen it called. Usually this will be explained in the written stage briefing or by one of the RO's. Don't worry about it. Just shoot every target you see as fast as you can and life will be good.

From what I here AM targets 250 to 300 yrds max. I don't know their size though. I would think they should be shootable with open sights.

This is like just pull the trigger at a long shot and not really try to hit it. Never seen it called. Usually this will be explained in the written stage briefing or by one of the RO's. Don't worry about it. Just shoot every target you see as fast as you can and life will be good.

It's because of last year's long range stage. :D

I don't think you need a rule like that (plus it is kind of arbitrary) - all you have to do is make the time penalty severe enough to make it worth hitting long range targets. If a 300 yard miss is +5, that target might not get hit a whole bunch compared to one that is +30.

Edited by DyNo!

Ive been thinking alittle today and I'm not sure if this has already been thought of before me because this will be my first shoot at rockcastle 3 gun. Somebody let me know if it has. But since most of us wont have camera crews following us around what a great idea it would be if the people at rockcastle had some one on each stage for pros and ams alike with a video camera charging alittle money to film the competitors that pay. Then put together a cd and send it to us in the mail or something after the competition. So that each of us who would like to go back and see where we messed up or did good could. I've always heard the best improvements come from watching yourself. Plus itd just be cool to be able to go back and watch it later on sometime or to show friends that couldnt make it. I feel like there would be quite a few of us that would pay to have a good video of ourselves shooting this competition! Maybe a good opportunity for Rockcastle to make alittle extra $$$ too!?!? Anybody else with me?

+1 on what Corey said, and if there is someone there doing that, its normally stills, not video on a single stage. and it would a huge job for video with that many shooters. the wife does not shoot 3 gun, (because of the shotgun)and will normally take pictures of the squad over the course of the match. at last years Pro/AM she did not take any pictures of the prize table, because she already had right at 1,100 pictures. then she had to break them up because it took 2 DVD disk. and does not do it for the money, i think it was $10 dollars she charge the squad members to mail it to them as a jpeg or slideshow.

so you get the idea.

the only time i ever paid to get all the pictures on a stage that were taken by a pro was a few years ago at benning when they had camera's set up along the trench at 3-5 frames a second, and of cousre i went down face first in the trench at 3-5 frames a second! :)

Ive been thinking alittle today and I'm not sure if this has already been thought of before me because this will be my first shoot at rockcastle 3 gun. Somebody let me know if it has. But since most of us wont have camera crews following us around what a great idea it would be if the people at rockcastle had some one on each stage for pros and ams alike with a video camera charging alittle money to film the competitors that pay. Then put together a cd and send it to us in the mail or something after the competition. So that each of us who would like to go back and see where we messed up or did good could. I've always heard the best improvements come from watching yourself. Plus itd just be cool to be able to go back and watch it later on sometime or to show friends that couldnt make it. I feel like there would be quite a few of us that would pay to have a good video of ourselves shooting this competition! Maybe a good opportunity for Rockcastle to make alittle extra $$$ too!?!? Anybody else with me?

+1 on what Corey said, and if there is someone there doing that, its normally stills, not video on a single stage. and it would a huge job for video with that many shooters. the wife does not shoot 3 gun, (because of the shotgun)and will normally take pictures of the squad over the course of the match. at last years Pro/AM she did not take any pictures of the prize table, because she already had right at 1,100 pictures. then she had to break them up because it took 2 DVD disk. and does not do it for the money, i think it was $10 dollars she charge the squad members to mail it to them as a jpeg or slideshow.

so you get the idea.

the only time i ever paid to get all the pictures on a stage that were taken by a pro was a few years ago at benning when they had camera's set up along the trench at 3-5 frames a second, and of cousre i went down face first in the trench at 3-5 frames a second! :)

:roflol:

I may or may not have 1st and 3rd person video of me eating dirt at the USPSA IN sectional match from last year. It was hilarious....after I got over the sprained ankle.

so you get the idea.

They usually have the local 4H Shooting team there working the match by picking up shells and brass and helping reset and we tip them and they run a raffle. My take is that they would be willing to do it if the shooters would buy it. But that would mean at least 16 folks filming and hours and hours of putting it together. I am not sure their volunteer base is that deep.

so you get the idea.

:roflol:

I may or may not have 1st and 3rd person video of me eating dirt at the USPSA IN sectional match from last year. It was hilarious....after I got over the sprained ankle.

yep, if you do this stuff you have to be able to laugh at yourself.

i did not get hurt,just my pride, when the dust cleared and the RO only said "are you okay" i got up shooting. but was covered in dirt and then of course my dear shooting pals are laughing because they said the photographier (she) was both laughing and crying telling the story and that she had it all. :)

From what I here AM targets 250 to 300 yrds max. I don't know their size though. I would think they should be shootable with open sights.

The far targets were 18" plate

Nice thats the size of the 300yrd black at Camp Perry

If you can hit a steel flash target at 150-200, then no magnification needed. I think max AM rifle last year was ~150.

Max AM target last year was 260, but only 1 and it was a whopper. Everything else was sub 200.

And 250-300 on the am side I think on stage five. Only one shout past 200 yards though.

Im thinking that most of us in the AM side should be able to easily deal with a flasher at 200-300. AM should mean AM as in not a true pro level shooter. NOT someone who has never shot a few 3 Gun matches.

And 250-300 on the am side I think on stage five. Only one shout past 200 yards though.

Im thinking that most of us in the AM side should be able to easily deal with a flasher at 200-300. AM should mean AM as in not a true pro level shooter. NOT someone who has never shot a few 3 Gun matches.

Why not, I shot it last year and it was my first 3 gun and I wasn't alone. I didn't do great but I wasn't last and I was shooting my heavy metal gear against the TO guys. It was a great place to shoot and a bunch of really great people. I couldn't think of a better place to start 3 gun. :sight:

Alan

Many of the guys in AM I talked to last year had never shot a 3 gun match before. Several had never shot any organized competition of any kind.

One guy even told me, after making ready on the long range rifle stage, he had never fired a centerfire rifle. He did quite well!

One guy even told me, after making ready on the long range rifle stage, he had never fired a centerfire rifle. He did quite well!

I hope you aren't talking about that burning squirrels dude cause I know he shot 3 rounds thru an AR previously lol.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of the AM guys worry about the rifle requirements for the match. Some folks just can't get out and routinly shoot 200-300 yards. So they will add new optics, or even buy new guns to "get ready".

From what I saw last year, this time and money might be better spent on shotgun. Showing up with a JP rifle and NF scope is cool, but it won't help your scores much when you also bring a mossberg 500 shotgun, and load shells out of your back pocket.