Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Minor - help choosing powder and amount

Marc82Much

If my new Bayou Bullets come today, I will have some time to reload...looking for some ideas!

I have 4 powders to choose from:

Titegroup

Universal Clays

HS-6

Alliant Bullseye

Which powder and what amount might you recommend to start with the 9mm green (Moly coated) Bayou 147 gr bullets?

Thanks.

Marc

Kenosha, WI

Edited by Marc82Much

Out of all of those I would go with titegroup but otherwise, I am an N320 guy. Do a search in the 9mm forums for loads with 147gr and you should come up with a bunch of hits with the info you are looking for.

It will also help for people to answer to know what gun you are using as OAL's can vary depending on the gun. Also, Different guns barrels are different, so what may work in one gun, may need some tweaking in another to be accurate and make power factor.

I haven't tried the Bayou yet but they are not like molys and from what many people said, they don't smoke with TG. Some are even using them in 9Major and reporting very good results and very little smoke, again, not like lead or molys.

I like N320 also but of those, I would probably go with TG.

3.1gr Titegroup with a 147gr moly bullet at 1.125" shoots very nicely out of my G34. I don't notice the smoke while shooting but when I watch the videos, it's very noticeable. When I'm out of TG, I'm going to switch to Solo 1000 since that's what I use for .40 and I have plenty of it.

Marc,

I'm sorry I cannot help you with those powders. I'm a dinosaur and still use Unique for 9mm. With 147 gr. Bayou's 3.3 grs. gives me 130 PF in my Springfield Armory 1911 Target Model and 3.5 grs. gives me 131 PF in my S&W M&P Pro. I use Bullseye in my .45 ACP but have never tried it in a 9mm. Bill

I have used TG, 231 / HP38, N320 and CLays, not enough experience on the rest to claim any expertise on them

My loads for Moly / Polymer coated bullets is as follows.

125gr 1.125" OAL for all.

TG 3.8gr

Clays 3.4gr

231 / HP38 4.0gr

N320 3.7 to 3.9gr depending on how old the can is.

All should out of a 5" barrel produce 127pf or thereabouts.