Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2012

Our stage designer has informed me that competitors will be allowed to attach a flashlight to their rifle for one of the stages. He was pretty clear that this is a shooters options and not a stage requirment.

-ld

And this change will be allowed in all divisions...without a "Welcome to Open"?

Correct. The wording in the WSB is:

Competitors may use a flashlight with their rifle if they wish, and that flashlight may start the stage in the ON position. Flashlights may be installed for this stage only without violating rule 4.4.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Competitors may use a flashlight with their rifle if they wish, and that flashlight may start the stage in the ON position. Flashlights may be installed for this stage only without violating rule 4.4.

Thanks!

Need to look how I can do this.. lol

That's why we are giving everyone a heads-up now. Worst case folks can bring a Maglight and some duct tape. :roflol:

You should come up with something to give to the competitor with the "Most Unique Illumination" on that stage... :roflol:

Does it have to be mounted on the actual rifle?

I don't see anything in the rules that stops you from carrying a flashlight in your hands, attached to your hat etc., but I think setting up a generator and arc light on a tripod might be considered gamesmanship :devil: . I imagine most folks will want to attach something to their rifle, and we are just letting everyone know that it will be OK to do this without violating the rules. Some may decide against using a light at all - it will be their call when they see the stage.

I don't see anything in the rules that stops you from carrying a flashlight in your hands, attached to your hat etc., but I think setting up a generator and arc light on a tripod might be considered gamesmanship :devil: . I imagine most folks will want to attach something to their rifle, and we are just letting everyone know that it will be OK to do this without violating the rules. Some may decide against using a light at all - it will be their call when they see the stage.

I found a nice and cheap 4500 lumen floodlight... now I just need to figure out a good carrying system for the car battery.

I found a nice and cheap 4500 lumen floodlight... now I just need to figure out a good carrying system for the car battery.

I've seen you shoot - you are so fast, all you will need is a camera flashgun... 1/200 of a second for 4 targets should be no problem :roflol:

Got you covered Dave, I've had this since right after 2005, the last time they had a dark house and you had to use your own light and I didn't have one. If you have a small rail, like on top of your gas block, you can borrow it.

post-2055-0-42001100-1330475764_thumb.jp

Do lights with integrated lasers put you in Open?

Do lights with integrated lasers put you in Open?

My opinion: A laser is an optical aiming device. If your rifle already has an optical sight (scope, red dot etc.) then adding the laser means you have two optical sights, which bumps you into Open.

With the above said, I am not the Match Director, so feel free to call/email Dan and confirm with him.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Got you covered Dave, I've had this since right after 2005, the last time they had a dark house and you had to use your own light and I didn't have one. If you have a small rail, like on top of your gas block, you can borrow it.

Sweet!

(don't tell gose)

The 2005 Dark House was pretty cool - handgun not rifle though.

Then the rifle dark house was either 2003 or 2004 and they didn't supply a light. We had one guy on our squad who went to his car and got one of the huge utility lights with a 4" lamp and 3x3x6 battery and duct tapped it to his rifle. I don't know how he was able to swing it. Most of us usedor borrowed small Surefire lights and target taped them to the handguards.

The 2005 Dark House was pretty cool - handgun not rifle though.

Then the rifle dark house was either 2003 or 2004 and they didn't supply a light. We had one guy on our squad who went to his car and got one of the huge utility lights with a 4" lamp and 3x3x6 battery and duct tapped it to his rifle. I don't know how he was able to swing it. Most of us usedor borrowed small Surefire lights and target taped them to the handguards.

It was 2003. First SMM3G to have a dark house, it sure was fun! Walgreens and Walmarts sold a bunch of flashlights and duct tape that weekend :roflol:

Our stage designer has informed me that competitors will be allowed to attach a flashlight to their rifle for one of the stages. He was pretty clear that this is a shooters options and not a stage requirment.

-ld

And this change will be allowed in all divisions...without a "Welcome to Open"?

I just put a 2" piece of rail on my handguard so I can slip a light on it if needed. Took about 5 minutes and cost $15. Problem solved.

to Open or not to Open, that is the question...

Open! I want to see all the new toys.. and it moves me up one spot in Tactical

Heh, it would have been an easy choice if all my stuff was ready to go, but Im not going to have time to get my open pistol running before the match, so I'll have to borrow one (or maybe just use my limited one). I wont have the shotgun until end of next week, so I'll be betting on that its working OOB...

I'll Openify the rifle by slapping on a bipod, so at least I have one out of three ready to go...

Been wanting to shoot Open for so long that I'm not sure I can suffer through another match in Tac ;)

to Open or not to Open, that is the question...

Open! I want to see all the new toys.. and it moves me up one spot in Tactical

Heh, it would have been an easy choice if all my stuff was ready to go, but Im not going to have time to get my open pistol running before the match, so I'll have to borrow one (or maybe just use my limited one). I wont have the shotgun until end of next week, so I'll be betting on that its working OOB...

I'll Openify the rifle by slapping on a bipod, so at least I have one out of three ready to go...

Been wanting to shoot Open for so long that I'm not sure I can suffer through another match in Tac ;)

I'll put my best lucky hat on and "game on" Gose