Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle brake

snowtop

Looking for some advice for a muzzle brake. I searched here and online I have cut it down to three muzzle brakes. I shot the FSC 556 last weekend very good at reducing the lift. All the info on it is that it reduces lift less flash an recoil (recoil is not the major concern it a 5.56). Second but the one everyone is saying is the "best" from what I have read is the SJC Titan. Most comments say it really good for lift but not flash and is really loud. The third is the Cooley more mixed emotions on this muzzle brake compared to the other two but most on this site like it alot. I have only used the FSC so is the Titan or Cooley much better for reducing lift then the FSC?

If you're looking for a compensator, it will be loud if it is effective. There is no way around it. Look into the Firebird Precision compensator. I have a Titan and my rifle is very very soft and flat (see youtube link in sig).

If you want quiet, it will compromise effectiveness.

Don't care about quiet or recoil, I was just listing what was said about each muzzle brake. Now flash is also something i would like to have reduced because I will also be shooting at night but "it will not be that often". From what I read the FSC is the best at flash reduction. So with your experience with the Titan it reduces lift but is there alot of flash.

Firebird looks real good. Not worried about how loud the muzzle brake is. Flash was mentioned do to the fact that the FSC has very low flash. I would like to know how the Titan compares to the FSC. Biggest concern is muzzle lift.

Yes it would do the trick but i'm not looking to pay $700 for a can. I guess my post is not that clear, Yes I will be shooting at night "but not that often" as I said previouly and do not want a flame thrower. How loud it is and flash is not my mean concern. I was comparing FSC which I have used and has a low flash, low recoil and reduces the muzzle lift to the Titan. I have read that the Titan is a great muzzle brake but very loud with alot of flash but keeps the barrel flat and reduces recoil. What is your opinion is the Titan a great muzzle brake and better than the FSC 556 or cooley and now the firebird which looks great. Thanks

Thanks for the video supermoto, they all seem to work but looks like less recoil for the titan & Dan S Comp.

On that rifle (16" midlength), the titan and Dan's comp worked the best.

I had the firebird brake on a 16" carbine and it seemed to work better on the carbine compared the the midlength. It may be because I was using a lightened carrier and buffer in the mid.

I still think the titan is the best brake

16" carbine, firebird brake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=920Hw9DBC6k

Edited by Supermoto

Comps are just going to throw more flame. I would suggest buying what you believe is the best comp for normal competition and then get a smith vortex and swap out for shooting at night ( not suggesting changing up during a match).

Jay

It was in Pat Kelly's article ranked high it right up with both Titan. The Rolling Thunder was the best at down force but had about 5% more recoil then the Titan. The Titan was 6th out of 8 in down force but first in recoil. Did'nt put it on the post but I have not left it out. Now I just have to make a decision, Cooley, Rolling Thunder, Miculek (best if you figure in price) or the Titan I would love to shoot them. Hands on is better than reading info but all three seem to be great. I don't think I'll go wrong with any of them. Thanks for all the info an Video's.

Snowtop

The Titan is a great comp and will serve you well....but I'm kinda biased because I designed it. :D But if I could not use a Titan, I would recommend Benny's Rolling Thunder Comp. Benny is a great guy and he designed one hell'uva good comp.

Erik

Edited by Bear1142

Erik

Wow I'm impressed a reply from the man who designed one of the compensators i'm looking at. I narrowed it down even futher to just the Titan and the Rolling thunder but you just won me over. Thanks, way to make a sale.

I have Michlek comps, Bennie Cooley, and JP Tank brakes. The JP tank brake wins, hands down. The only problem is that if you are running it for 3-gun, most places only allow it in "open" division.

Snowtop

The Titan is a great comp and will serve you well....but I'm kinda biased because I designed it. :D But if I could not use a Titan, I would recommend Benny's Rolling Thunder Comp. Benny is a great guy and he designed one hell'uva good comp.

Erik

You did a great job on that comp. Its the best I have used.

Pat

I have not used the FSC or a 5.56 Titan. I have a 7.62 Titan on my AR10, I have shot it inside cars and in low light and never noticed any flash (maybe my ears were ringing too much to see any :roflol:, the Titan is LOUD). I have used the JP/Cooley comp and it was very effective also. Never had one of Benny's comps, but would buy one.

While a good comp definately goes a long way toward how a rifle feels in recoil, several other factors come into play as well, such as overall weight, reciprocating mass, recoil spring rate, gas volume and powder burn rate. The really good rifle builders know how to balence all of these things to get a rifle to feel good.

Hurley