Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR barrels

Nowind0

Going to get one soon, receive the info from a buddy who loves them an said alot of the 3 gun shooters he shoots with use them. From what I have read they are great. Other two barrels he suggested are Hart & Kreiger but he liked the WOA the best.

They are a nice barrel, Noveske makes an 18" barrel that is 9oz lighter but the price tag of $465 is kinda steep. I am surprised that other barrel makers are not producing a light contour 18" barrel.(in the 31-32oz range)

woa has a great barrel. I have one on a precision gun I built.

However they are just a wilson barrel chambered in house. Wilson blanks are used by MANY companies some charge WAY more some charge less.

For 3 gun I see a barrel like this as being a bit over kill.

It is hard to beat a DPMS (wilson blank) mk12 barrel (same as the 3g) for 170 then get it turned down to ~30oz. solid 1moa (or less) barrel that is light and functional.

Edited by bpipe95

Yes, I am familiar with John's work and it is top notch. I have a service rifle and a match rifle both built by him. I was wondering about the wieght and I think I have the answer. By the time he charges to flute the barrel, I will be in the JP cost range for a new barrel, if you consider the bolt, gas block, and muzzle break.

Any other suggestions on barrels I should consider? I am the type where I am more concerned about accuracy than wieght, but having both would be great.

Nordic Components has a Wilson and a Lilja barrel, both 16" midlength,1:8 twist and both seem to get good reviews. I built one with the lilja barrel, corvette comp, low profile gas block and the troy 13" extreme rail that balanced very nicely and shot right at 1 moa with good ammo.

By the time he charges to flute the barrel, I will be in the JP cost range for a new barrel, if you consider the bolt, gas block, and muzzle break.

Any other suggestions on barrels I should consider? I am the type where I am more concerned about accuracy than wieght, but having both would be great.

THIS

$276 barrel

$110 fluting or conturing

$50 gas block

$10 gas tube

The result is Noveske/JP price range for the barrel, block, and gas tube (both offer lighter and heavier profiles).

By the time he charges to flute the barrel, I will be in the JP cost range for a new barrel, if you consider the bolt, gas block, and muzzle break.

THIS

$276 barrel

$110 fluting or conturing

$50 gas block

$10 gas tube

The result is Noveske/JP price range for the barrel, block, and gas tube (both offer lighter and heavier profiles).

Yeah, you also forgot the bolt $40

Exactly my thinking. thanks

I have the WOA barrel, it does make the rifle nose heavy. I had it turned down under the handguard to about .750, but it does not feel as nice as a JP barrel rifle. The WOA is accurate with 69gr, but doesn't do as well as my other rifles with 55gr bulk hornady. Friends with the same barrel don't have the issues with 55gr that I do, so it might just be mine. With the 69s shoots under 1' at 100 with good consistency.

I recently built a Nordic/Lila 16" midlength with a firebird hand guard. Seems to be accurate and transitions a lot better than the WOA

Edited by Supermoto

I have the WOA barrel, it does make the rifle nose heavy. I had it turned down under the handguard to about .750, but it does not feel as nice as a JP barrel rifle. The WOA is accurate with 69gr, but doesn't do as well as my other rifles with 55gr bulk hornady. Friends with the same barrel don't have the issues with 55gr that I do, so it might just be mine. With the 69s shoots under 1' at 100 with good consistency.

I recently built a Nordic/Lila 16" midlength with a firebird hand guard. Seems to be accurate and transitions a lot better than the WOA

+ 1, my WOA does not like any 55 fmj's, however, things get much better with 69/77 bullets

I have a WOA CMP upper. Heavy barrel, shoots lights out. I also have a Mk12Mod1 clone built with one of their 18" SPR barrels that I am just starting work with. Initial impressions are that it will be very good. My 3 gun rifle has a WOA SPR barrel that is 20" (custom). This barrel also shoots very well. Just last Sunday it did 3/4 MOA with 75gr Privi. I like the SPR profile because it is a nice mid weight. WOA barrels are GTG.

R4B

Yes, I am familiar with John's work and it is top notch. I have a service rifle and a match rifle both built by him. I was wondering about the wieght and I think I have the answer. By the time he charges to flute the barrel, I will be in the JP cost range for a new barrel, if you consider the bolt, gas block, and muzzle break.

I like WOA, John is great to deal with and I've been extremely pleased with both their 18 & 20" barrels that I've got. Recently I've been playing with lighter 18" barrels for a new 3-Gun rifle so I put uppers together using the JP 18" 34 oz barrel and then I got a barrel from Loki Weapon Systems, their 18" double fluted barrel that weighs 30 oz and it's a tack driver. In fact I let a friend "borrow" the upper for a local match and the Nationals and he won't give it back now after shooting a 2.25" group at 300 - he even ordered a new 18" LWSF rifle from Loki. I've had a couple of the Loki 18" double fluted barrels and both have been accurate enough for me.

Check out the Loki 18" double fluted barrel

I like WOA, John is great to deal with and I've been extremely pleased with both their 18 & 20" barrels that I've got. Recently I've been playing with lighter 18" barrels for a new 3-Gun rifle so I put uppers together using the JP 18" 34 oz barrel and then I got a barrel from Loki Weapon Systems, their 18" double fluted barrel that weighs 30 oz and it's a tack driver. In fact I let a friend "borrow" the upper for a local match and the Nationals and he won't give it back now after shooting a 2.25" group at 300 - he even ordered a new 18" LWSF rifle from Loki. I've had a couple of the Loki 18" double fluted barrels and both have been accurate enough for me.

Thats almost exactly what I have been looking for. Do you know if it can be ordered with a rifle length gas system?

They are a nice barrel, Noveske makes an 18" barrel that is 9oz lighter but the price tag of $465 is kinda steep. I am surprised that other barrel makers are not producing a light contour 18" barrel.(in the 31-32oz range)

JP makes one, I just got mine in. 29.7oz according to my scale :)

The WOA barrel was a very close second choice.

Thats exactly my experience, 69s are great, the 55s suck.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using a WOA 20" SDM barrel. Accuracy is phenomenal (It's Wylde chambered - shoots sub-MOA w/ Black Hills 69's). Weighs ~2.5lbs. But w/ the contour it's not nose-heavy. Combined w/ a Clark's CF handguard it feels the same as my 18" JP.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17566&cat=250&page=1

Edited by grywlfbg

Thats almost exactly what I have been looking for. Do you know if it can be ordered with a rifle length gas system?

I can't tell much difference between rifle length and mid length gas systems in my setups... I don't run a super light carrier but do run a Loki adjustable gas block. The 18" double fluted barrel with rifle length gas system will be available from Loki Weapon Systems in January.