Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which would you rather shoot in IPSC Prod?

Xander

I shoot a 17 now, but... I think my answer would be the CZ.

Most of the Glock's advantages are not in terms of the actual shooting. It's far less expensive, as are the accessories and components. It's boring in its reliability, once you know how to get around the light strikes associated with heavy trigger work. It's painfully easy to maintain and work on yourself, without the need for professional assistance. It will take pretty much any ammo you can feed it thanks to a generous chamber, and will withstand quite a beating if you happen to do something silly with a hot load. The lifecycle of the factory parts are amazingly long, and even the aftermarket stuff holds up pretty well. The grip angle is an advantage as it allows for a high grip towards the bore axis and forces proper wrist cant in order to get the sights aligned.

The CZ is a better shooter for most people, and easier to work as well. A well executed trigger in the Shadow is vastly superior to a Production-legal Glock, without question. It's weight and muzzle heavy orientation are an asset to managing the recoil. The ergos are better for the widest range of shooters, from top to bottom-- although some people swap out safety levers as a preference. I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now, but I don't have enough experience with one to know the full in's and out's.

In terms of disadvantages, the Glock trigger is a beast unto itself, no matter how much you tune it. The grip takes some getting used to, if you're even willing to try once you've handled one. Most people can't hit the mag release without breaking their firing grip. Many find the grip surface itself slippery as sin, and tape/stipple it like crazy. The finger grooves can be a real PITA, and IMO, account for a lot of inconsistencies in your grip after the draw and mag changes.

The Shadow is pricey, especially when you look at the mags. It has a tight chamber which is good for accuracy, but limits your potential range of loads. The initial DA pull is something you have to train to master, which puts a lot of people off; after all, it's only one pull per stage, but it's an important pull nonetheless! They are definitely not as easy to work on as the Glock. The weight that's an advantage for recoil management can be a liability during transitions-- although this will vary shooter to shooter. The manual decocking that's pretty much required has sent a lot of people home early due to pre-buzzer AD, and many of those who have mastered the simple technique are still nervous about it (according to the CZ shooters I've talked to). Parts and pieces are not scarce by any means, but you won't have an entire range full of people digging them out of their bags if you need one in a pinch (like you would, say... a Glock trigger spring, factory or extra powered, Wolff or Glockworx, etc.)

I think for a serious and dedicated shooter, the CZ is a better choice. It has been proven many times over that the Glock is more than up to the task of World Champion level shooting, but IMHO, it's a lot more "work intensive" and shooter sensitive than the CZ.

That said-- I'll be shooting an M&P this season. :roflol:

own both and think the CZ, i had a nice long write up going with the pros and cons and just lost it tring to dowload a spell checker, i suck. if it was a 34/35 or Shadow the choice would be harder. the double action pull on my shadow custom target is not a problem for me but its an expensive pistol. i think an inexperienced shooter could run the CZ faster but by learing the glock grip and control would pretty much eliminate the advantage. you already have both these pistols?

this is a vid of me shooting a shadow on a classifier stage. i have watched it many times and am convinced that the double action first pull is no longer an issue as my first shot out of the holster always gets a bit more care anyway. even when its close up like this.

CZ, just plain easier to shoot well and does one more favors (a heavier all-steel pistol and trigger 100x as good will do that).

I've got lots of experience with both platforms and I'd say mastering a Glock's single all-the-time trigger-pull is 1,000,000X harder than mastering a Shadow's DA pull IMO. Honestly, a Shadow's DA pull is on par with a super-sweet revolver and better than most Glock pulls anyways...

own both and think the CZ, i had a nice long write up going with the pros and cons and just lost it tring to dowload a spell checker, i suck. if it was a 34/35 or Shadow the choice would be harder. the double action pull on my shadow custom target is not a problem for me but its an expensive pistol. i think an inexperienced shooter could run the CZ faster but by learing the glock grip and control would pretty much eliminate the advantage. you already have both these pistols?

Yes, I already have both.

Yes, I already have both.

then i would focus on the CZ

a side note to the shadow, due to the super heavy frame and low profile slide, the gun has a very smooth nonjarring cycling action.

with an unltra light spring (10 lb) the gun will be reliable with a huge range of ammo. I can run 100 pf loads for steel challenge that most other guns feel way too sluggish with.

CZ, just plain easier to shoot well and does one more favors (a heavier all-steel pistol and trigger 100x as good will do that).

I've got lots of experience with both platforms and I'd say mastering a Glock's single all-the-time trigger-pull is 1,000,000X harder than mastering a Shadow's DA pull IMO. Honestly, a Shadow's DA pull is on par with a super-sweet revolver and better than most Glock pulls anyways...

I don't disagree with that at all. The Glock trigger is very difficult for me as well.

I'm shooting a Glock 17 in IPSC production and will be shifting to Open soon... I find that I point open guns too far down now because of my usage of a Glock. Seriously considering switching to a SP01 in case I want a production gun and shoot both... Anyone else have issues with the grip angle?

CZ Shadow all the way. Just can't beat the the trigger, ergonomics, or accuracy.

The people that complain about 2 different trigger pulls were probably the same ones eating crayons in pre-school. ;)

Probably why I prefer'd glue.. :blink:

CZ Shadow all the way. Just can't beat the the trigger, ergonomics, or accuracy.

The people that complain about 2 different trigger pulls were probably the same ones eating crayons in pre-school. ;)

Dude, it's paste.

You know, I have been surprised at the accuracy of my G17. It will shoot 2" carefully at 30yds. I'm trying to get it tighter, and I think in time I will. Thing is, it is a consistent trigger if I do my job. Glocks are great in that a smith isn't usually needed, if at all if you got to wrench on your gun. I think that is why I prefer them. I do shoot a CZ in Limited, but in production it is Glock 17. I actually like the trigger. Mine is stock. Sights are Sevigny, and the thing is not picky about ammo.

That is the view from here..JZ

I've shot both in Production. Shot the Glock at a match (having been a long-time Glock aficionado before I started shooting games), put it up for sale the next day. Shot the CZ and was positively smitten.

Contrary to the interweb, the DA/SA thing turned out to be a complete non-issue. Reliability has been perfect out of the Shadow as well, 4000 rounds later. Aside from a tiny bit more upfront cost, there really are no downsides to the CZ.

Does the manual safety on the CZ get in the way or slow things down at all? One of the things I like the most about the Glocks (and XD's) is the lack of a manual safety.

It doesn't for me. Matter of fact, I like it because it's a nice place to rest my right thumb and gives me physical reference point. For Production, it stays off, so i don't worry about it beyond that. (I have toyed with the idea of playing cocked and locked in limited minor)

Edited by Racer377

No, you leave it off and shoot from de-cocked. Then just ride the safety like a 1911. Keeps my hand higher, and gives me another point of reference to grab the gun. I get far fewer bad grips on the CZ and 1911 than I did my M&P.

Does the manual safety on the CZ get in the way or slow things down at all? One of the things I like the most about the Glocks (and XD's) is the lack of a manual safety.

I rest my thumb on the safety just like a 1911, works great.

BTW I have tried about all the production guns and shoot the shadow the best.