Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering used G34 but does not look right

atomicbrh

Local gun store just had a Generation 3 Glock 34 come in on consignment that appears to have low round count. It does not seem to have the same fit or finish as my Gen 3 Glock 17 that I bought years ago when the Gen 3 first came out. I was able to field strip the G34. The barrel and slide just looked poorly manufactured. All serial numbers matched. Plastic Glock box and everything else seems legitimate. The Glock Bar Code sticker on the box looks strange. I am going to go back Monday and look at it again more closely. The kicker is that the owner wants $650 for it on consignment. I think I can work that price down a good bit. Has there ever been a cheap knock-off of the Glock 34 made?

Bobby H.

Went in to look at this Gen 3 G34 again and took my old trusty stock G17 in with me. I am friends with the store owner so I took the G34 in the back shop where there was better light and field stripped the G34 again. It still had the copper colored factory lube in many places. Other surfaces that needed lube were totally dry. I lubed it so that whoever buys it will at least have some lube on it.

Both the G34 and my G17 are Generation 3 but mine is what you call a "2-pin"? and the G34 is a "3-pin"? Is that correct?

I also noticed the extractors have a much different shape on the edge that contacts the cartridge rimm and the exposed surface even though both are Gen 3s? The G34 extractor has a stepped external appearance while my G17 has a smooth external surface.

I have not handled a new Glock in many years. Do they seem to have a "hitch" when working the slide before a break in period? My stock G17(only change was to Dawson Sites) with around 9K rounds through it has a much better feeling trigger, smoother slide and is still very tight. I expected the G34 to be much better since it is the competiton model. I have owned Glocks for recreational shooting and defense purposes for many years but my recent jump into Competition proves that I have a lot to learn. Competition pushes the person and the equipment to limits that recreational plinking does not.

Thanks for all the replies. There seems to be a lot of changes within the Generaton 3.

If nothing else this shopping experience convinced me to never get rid of my G17.

Bobby H.

The G34 extractor has a stepped external appearance while my G17 has a smooth external surface.

This, at least, I know the answer to.

The external contour changed to allow the extractor to act as a loaded chamber indicator; with a round under the hook, the step protrudes from the side of the slide enough to be visible and raised to the touch.

I can't speak to your impression that the more recent gun has poorer fit/finish - I don't have any Gen 2 guns, and all my Gen 3 guns run fine.

Both the G34 and my G17 are Generation 3 but mine is what you call a "2-pin"? and the G34 is a "3-pin"? Is that correct?

The G34, if memory serves, was introduced right around the time Glock switched over to the 3-pin system. There are some 2-pin G34s out there, but not many. A lot more 2-pin G17s since the G17 has been around a lot longer.

I also noticed the extractors have a much different shape on the edge that contacts the cartridge rimm and the exposed surface even though both are Gen 3s? The G34 extractor has a stepped external appearance while my G17 has a smooth external surface.

As has already been mentioned, Glock changed the shape of the extractor to serve as a loaded chamber indicator. As a matter of fact, Glock calls the new design their LCI (loaded chamber indicator) extractor.

I have not handled a new Glock in many years. Do they seem to have a "hitch" when working the slide before a break in period?

In my experience they sometimes do. This is no big deal, and will in any event work itself out in short order once you begin shooting the gun - or with any significant amount of hand cycling during dry fire.

My stock G17(only change was to Dawson Sites) with around 9K rounds through it has a much better feeling trigger, smoother slide and is still very tight. I expected the G34 to be much better since it is the competiton model.

The only difference between the G34 and G17 is that the former has a barrel 0.83" inch longer (5.32" for the G34 versus 4.49" for the G17), a longer slide to match, and comes stock with a 4.5 pound connector instead of the G17's normal 5.5. Also an extended slide stop (which the vast majority of serious shooter instantly dump and replace with the low profile part off a G17) and an extended mag button. That's it.

Interesting - I think - point of trivia. The G17 and the G34 use the exact same frame. Actually all the medium frame Glocks do. And when I say "same frame" I don't mean "similar". I mean they come out of the same mold at the Glock factory. This is good since it means you can use the exact same mags for your G34 and G17, and switch back-and-forth between the guns, and they will both fit your hand and point exactly the same. A G34 is just a G17 with a barrel and slide 4/5 inch longer, a cutout on top of the slide to keep weight close to the same, a couple of extended controls, and a 4.5 pound connector. There is no extra fitting, or tighter tolerances involved.

There seems to be a lot of changes within the Generaton 3.

Indeed. Gen-3 was around for longer than any other Glock generation, so there were a fair number of incremental changes that occurred during that time frame. It's no big deal to find 2-pin and 3-pin Gen-3s, flat extractor and LCI extractor Gen-3s, etc.