Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light for toolhead

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this light on clearance from a Sears Grand that was being converted to a K-Mart. It is $26 new, but you should be able to make it work.

http://www.sears.com/ link wasn't working, search for flexible light and it was the first one.

I hung a shop light over my 650, while a little more light would be nice.....I just haven't messed with it after buying it.

Edited by djeffers

I got fancy and had this guy make me a clip on LED light with gooseneck that clamps onto the casefeeder support arm.

http://www.ledrunlights.com/

Works amazing! Found him via google search, and he does just about anything with an LED that you could think of.

How much did you spend on the light? I have to wait until Monday to get a quote back from them

I recently ordered and installed a new light on my 550b. Great. Has a switch and plugs in so no batteries. Plenty of light and can be bent to direct light where you want it. It's out of the way. I'm including the web site for this but have no financial interest in this what so ever. Check it out. This guy even makes ergo handles for presses.

http://www.inlinefabrication.com/LED_LIGHTING_SYSTEMS.html

post-22108-0-91913800-1321905779_thumb.j

post-22108-0-11598800-1321905798_thumb.j

post-22108-0-27852800-1321905810_thumb.j

I recently ordered and installed a new light on my 550b. Great. Has a switch and plugs in so no batteries. Plenty of light and can be bent to direct light where you want it. It's out of the way. I'm including the web site for this but have no financial interest in this what so ever. Check it out. This guy even makes ergo handles for presses.

http://www.inlinefabrication.com/LED_LIGHTING_SYSTEMS.html

In for one...I looked at a similiar light at Ikea yesterday...but felt it was too thick and it came with two strips attached. This guy is making them for almost the same money and it fits in the small gap on the 550.

$29? Heck..I've spent more on bad beer and loose women :roflol:

Undrpsi

Here's a link to a very nice light setup. Shame they don't have one yet for a 550. Site says they're working on it. http://www.inlinefabrication.com/LED_LIGHTING_SYSTEMS.html

That's great. I'm always having trouble finding something inexpensive to put on my Christmas list. The nieces and nephews usually go in to together and get me a present and the adults draw names. This fits the $$ limits for that. It just moved to #1 on the list. My wife doesn't get out that easy though!!

Here is the El Cheap-o LED I have been using on my old Dillon 550:

dillion 550 sm.jpg

Just a headband light from home depot (I think it was two for 6 bones or something like that) and a loose tiewrap to hang it off the seating die. I've also used a string with a dowel tied to the end and lay it down the center of the tool head with the dowel as an anchor against the sizeing and crimp dies. I like the tiewrap because it is easy to put on and remove. The LED lamp takes a common AAA battery and also has a red led for night operations! ;)

Other quickie "mods" I use are:

1. a baby sock or just the cut off toe of a regular sock over the handle ball. I like the ball, but it can be hard on your hand. The sock keeps it very slippery and doesn't wear on your hand.

2. a 1/8" wood dowel as a primer tube follwer. After the last primer is used it locks back the priming bar, and I have it marked so I know when I'm getting down to the last few primers. Have also used a plastic pushrod tube used for RC airplanes which I liked better than the wood dowel, but I misplaced it and haven't got around to getting another. Whatever is used, make sure the rod mass is very light in case of a primer tube event.

Edited by Bamboo

I just picked up a light from Target a couple of days ago. I had been using a little battery powered LED light but kept forgetting to turn it off and killing the batteries. The new light is wired and has a clamp so I attached it to the case feeder on my XL650.

light.jpg

I got fancy and had this guy make me a clip on LED light with gooseneck that clamps onto the casefeeder support arm.

Works amazing! Found him via google search, and he does just about anything with an LED that you could think of.

How much did you spend on the light? I have to wait until Monday to get a quote back from them

Got the quote back...YIKES!!!! 62 bucks plus shipping! No thanks...I will just stick with my cheapo led flashlight until I find something else

I put a Rockler woodworking snake light with a magnifying glass on my 1050.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264&filter=tool%20light

The magnifier has a ring of LEDS around its edge and the kit also came with an LED only head. Rockler has the kit on sale every now and than. The magnet is super strong and it attaches itself to the bullet tray bracket on my 1050. It doesnt move when operating the machine. It runs off batteries but comes with a plug in to use 120 power.

post-22100-0-29629500-1322151598_thumb.j

post-22100-0-57430800-1322151628_thumb.j

The extra light is nice but it isnt the most important thing on the machine. I dont find myself using it much for reloading but the magnifier has been helpful for other tasks at the workbench.

Edited by pmclaine

you know when you go to major matches, at check in, they give a bag of schwag. in one of my bags this year, they gave away some little keychain pen light. coincidentally, it is just the right size to fit in the powder check die's other hole on my 650's toolheads.

I probably have some mini-mag lite flashlights that have an outside diameter equal to the inside diameter of the hole where the powder check die would go. I could just drill and tap the toolhead for a set screw to clamp down on the mini-mag lite and hold it in place in the toolhead.

I've been using a mini LED flashlight that I found at a gun show last year, it fit perfectly in the tool head hole on my 550. It works great. However, I've noticed how quickly I'm going through batteries. So when I saw this thread, I jumped at the link and bought one. Just installed it over the weekend, two loading sessions so far, and it is well worth the money. Not as perfect as the light shining down from the tool head, but absolutely gets the job done.

DSC_0585.jpg

I did this a different way... I went to frys electronics and bought a cheap *powered* usb hub. Then I bought 3 or 4 of those LED gooseneck flexible lamps that they make for laptops, the kind that just plug into a usb port. I then filled up the usb hub with those and bent them where I wanted light. Tiewrapped the hub to the side of the casefeeder mount arm such that it reached everywhere I needed. Did the same on the 1050 as I did with the 650. Just need to equipment last 650 and they all will be the basic same setup.

I think I paid $2 for the hub and another couple bucks each for the led lights.

Alan

I did the same. I had a spare USB hub laying around and picked up a goosehead LED light. I velcro'ed the hub to the strong mount and I can bend the light where I need it.

Got the quote back...YIKES!!!! 62 bucks plus shipping! No thanks...I will just stick with my cheapo led flashlight until I find something else

Sorry, missed seeing your question earlier. The way I looked at it, anything else that compares in style and function to what I got started at $200. Got exactly what I wanted in less than a week.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, i found a way to mount the LED flashlight i got from Sears. I went to Lowes, and found 3/4" nylon clamps. it was a little loose when i put the flashlight in, so i lined it w/ 1 piece of electrical tape. Works great. the only problem was, it wouldn't take 1/4-20 screws very well, so i had to force them through the nylon. but it mounts to the strong mount w/o any issue. work great!

i would post pictures, but for some reason, possibly due to my post count, it won't let me use the image extension.

• 1 month later...

I picked up one of the Inline 2 light kits for my 650 and an extra 6" assembly for the Rockchucker. The package should come tomorrow and I'll try to post pictures after I install them. Quick shipping too by the way.

How did you like the light being where you need it?