Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan Mods?

dskinsler83

Ok so I am thinking about a new SS in 45ACP. I have wondered about the Spartan for the cost but it has an Armscor frame. I have seen the upgrades the FGW can do and they look great. Has anyone had one tri topped and the can the trigger gaurd be squared up on these??

Not sure on their work (im sure its good), but I have a Dawson Spartan that I absolutely love! Had some feeding issues with a SWC bullet (had the same problems in a different gun as well so it was def ammo related) but switched to a RN bullet and its been 100% reliable. I had it hard chromed and a couple of features tweaked, still need to change the trigger to match my other setups. The Spartan is a great value 1911 and if you have any work done by a reputable smith, you can't go wrong.

Daniel, I bought a Spartan in .45 months ago to replace my loved Gold Cup. I will say that for 600 bucks it was a super good deal. I am sure you could do that to the trigger guard but I would bet it would cost some serious money. I agree that the squared ones are nice but I never have used one. All I have done to mine is change the mainspring to a 19 lb and the housing to a S&A magwell. I also changed the recoil spring to a 14 lb. I installed one of Dawson's fiber optic front sights. Lastly a set of VZ Operators for grips and a crap load of Wilson mags! I have shot almost 1000 rounds through it and it runs good. I might have a total of 800 bucks in it now but it is a darn good pistol, even compared to friends Springfields and Kimbers. Some might not like the finish but I do. If ya mark it up,get you a sharpe and a toothbrush and take care of it.

Well honestly guys Bobby is so tied up it's hard to justify bugging him I've asked enough about the P16 he has of mine I don't wanna get on his nevers or anything. I'm still waitin to here from him on a couple things now but he is a new dad and a one man shop so patience is a virtue

Hello: I am sure the trigger guard can be squared up and the slide tri-topped but the cost of that would out weight the cheapeness of the Spartan in the first place. I have a Spartan that is from the first batch that came over. It is a great pistol for the money. The only things I have done to it is put my arrow on the top,french border, Dawson front sight,magwell, grips and checker the front strap. You may look at the STI parts and have a pistol made the way you want since it would cost less I think than modifying the Spartan. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Yes, the Spartan can be tri-topped. The one you saw pics is probably mine. Bobby tri-topped and serrated the top, deepened the cocking serrations, installed the Freedom Sight front sight, and checkered the front strap. Give Bobby a call.

I just picked up a Spartan 45 for a budget SS gun. I'm really happy with it so far in every way and have only added a Dawson Ice magwell. I plan on either opening up the rear sight channel or installing a narrower front sight. Probably the former since i prefer a bit more precision in my sight picture dimensions. Lastly, i did the free Weigand style sear spring tune trigger job and came out with a trigger that measures 2lb 12oz on my lyman digital scale (stock was about 5lb). The action was already crisp and smooth, it just needed a reduction in pull weight.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10297/GunTechdetail/2-lb-Trigger-Pull?source=CJ

The Spartan is a great inexpensive 1911. I put a S&A magwell, SVI flat trigger, ambi safety, and a new narrower front sight (Brazo's Microdot.) I had a trigger job with existing parts done and the rear sight smoothed out (stock sight has some pretty nasty corners.) The trigger is awesome and the sight picture is as good as my more expensive custom 1911/2011s.

All told, I got a very accurate, comfortable to shoot, .45 for under $1k total. It's a great gun for IDPA CDP and Single Stack.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a Spartan and have done several thing. I added the S&A magwell, a 3# trigger job, gunner grips, and front strap grip tape. I left the front sight on it as I am starting to lean towards the slightly larger fronts (Sevigny), I probably will replace it with a slightly narrower Dawson at some point. A few things I'd like to do if I just had money to burn would be checkering the front strap, cerakoting it, and replacing the barrel bushing (the stock one is pretty weak). Going too far takes it out of a budget 1911 and into the midrange Sentry level which has all of the bell's and whistles out of the box.

Well there's is a point to the statement above. After talking to Bobby at FGW and getting a price list together it'd be close to $1700 for the Spartan modded out they way I want it. Maybe I need to pic another platform to let him upgrade so it's not just a fancy cheap gun.

I had Bobby undercut the trigger guard on my Spartan and he refinished the frame in Atranite. I sent my slide to Daniel Hidalgo (Plate-Tacular) for his "Cobalt" plating. The gun looks great and the finishes are holding up well. Also Dawson FO front sight, Ed Brown thumb safety and extended mag catch, C&S trigger, S&A magwell and VZ Operators II grips (both slim), and a 9 lb. recoil spring (9mm gun). I was running a 17 lb. mainspring, but I bumped it up to 18 lb. for reliable ignition with a Kimber .22 Rimfire Target conversion kit.

Edited by fred5876r

• 1 month later...

Well after really thinking about it why do all that and still have a spartan on a armscor frame. If i decided to purchase a SS this year which i may not i need to focus on my limited game for now i think. but i have decided that if i do purchase it will be a Trojan. It is already flat topped and has the front strap stippled and undercut trigger guard.

It does. I'm losing my mind! I put grip tape on the frontstrap when I bought it, and for some reason I thought it was smooth. I've been shooting my Buckmark a lot lately, I guess that's what I was thinking about. Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to speak and confirm it. Sorry!