Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 Failures to Fire

jar

My new-ish 930 is failing to fire on every round loaded automatically. IE, Bang, click, rack, bang, click, rack, etc. It's feeding fine and the bolt appears to be fully in battery and pushing it forward before pulling the trigger has no effect. Any ideas?

I shot a match last week and it ran 200 rounds flawlessly. Tried to shoot it yesterday and it had the above problem. Cleaned it thoroughly and lubed the crap out of it today and still the same.

I'd say get back to basics. Is the firing pin moving forward? Are there strike marks on the primers? If no strike mark and the firing pin seems to have full movement, is the hammer following? If you can hear the hammer fall when you pull the trigger, but there's no strike mark on the primer then put a cleaning rod or a wooden dowel down the barrel and see if you can feel the firing pin hit it. That should tell you if the basic mechanism is working. If it is then maybe the barrel has loosened and the headspace has effectively gotten to long.

Just some thoughts, but I'm drinking too :)

Good luck

Kevin

ETA if it's only happening on a automatic reload it may well be in the gas system. Everything free and moving well? Is that rod on the back of the bolt oriented in the recoil spring correctly? Is the bolt moving at all when the gun is in recoil? More semi drunken thoughts. Hope you figure it out.

Edited by kevinj308

I reassembled it by the manual and it was never apart between the 200 rounds of good operation and the problems. When I had it apart yesterday, it seems like the gas piston goes in to the gas cylinder harder than I think it should. The part that's weird to me is that it ejects and feeds perfectly fine, which I don't think it would do if the gas piston was getting slowed down too much.

Sounds like it’s not going to full battery.

Either the bolt is not going fully forward or the barrel is not completely seated.

You said you didn't clean it between the time it worked and when it stopped working.

Did you remove the barrel or loosen the tube nut? Install a mag extension?

Make sure the barrel is fully seated by hand before tightening the mag tube nut. If installing a tube extension; install just the coupling/nut, then the extension.

Make sure the order of components is correct on the mag tube, plastic piece that fits over the receiver about 1/16 - 1/8", spring, plastic piece with the steel pins, plastic sleeve, piston/barrel, then nut.(hope I got the order right)

David E.

930s rule!

Maybe Benny will chime in and tell you what's really wrong with it.

i've had a similar problem with mine that i've had less than a week with my 930 18.5 with rifle sights....took it out today after a good cleaning last night.....lots of Mobil one on everything including the mag tube and also the piston .....i had a failure to fire after less than 10 rounds....slight firing pin mark centered on the primer....rechambered same shell and shot OK......hammer fall sounds weak to me...

On another issue, i called mossberg today and ordered a 24" barrel with no ports.....according to rep i talked to i had to order a turkey barrel with extra full tube and had to pay extra to get 2 additional choke tubes of imp cylinder and mod......total cost with shipping is just under $225.....

if someone knows who i need talk to to get a 24" with choke tubes for $150 i'm all ears......

i'm beginning to wish i looked at the FN.....thanks and good shoot'n.....D I C K

I paid $317 shipped for two non ported barrels from Mossberg. So that sounds pretty high. Both came with modified chokes installed. No wrench or other chokes.

As far as who to talk too, there's another thread with all that info. And some good and not so good customer experiences. You should do some reading.

Kevin

The bolt is not going into battery. The top half is but not the bottom part. Take the gas piston out, take the ring off, CLEAN all carbon off, clean barrel ring, do not lube & try it. I use a wire wheel on a dremmel tool.

Thanks Benny. I had cleaned everything before, but I hadn't taken the ring off of the piston. I just took it off, cleaned everything and put it back together. The gas piston moves much more freely now, so there was definitely an issue there. I'll take it to the range in the next few days to try it, but I'm pretty sure you've got it.

The bolt is not going into battery. The top half is but not the bottom part. Take the gas piston out, take the ring off, CLEAN all carbon off, clean barrel ring, do not lube & try it. I use a wire wheel on a dremmel tool.

Thanks Benny. I had cleaned everything before, but I hadn't taken the ring off of the piston. I just took it off, cleaned everything and put it back together. The gas piston moves much more freely now, so there was definitely an issue there. I'll take it to the range in the next few days to try it, but I'm pretty sure you've got it.

thanks from D I C K also Benny i also took off the rings cleaned good and piston moves freely....somewhere around here i've got a big old stainless brush that i used on 1100's back in my competition skeet days to clean the barrel ring...it looks like a giant chamber brush but has the profile of the barrel ring cut in it...1100's used to really get a bunch of burned on junk under them....the only thing with it is that it is so agressive that it will cut all the bluing off the inside of the ring....it's one of those things that once you start using it, you can't quit.....thanks....D I C K

This is an instance where NP3, or better yet Electroless Nickel Boron Nitride would be an ideal application. Plate all of the gas system parts and I bet they would be darn near self cleaning...

ETA: I run the rings and piston dry; I put some lube on my finger and wipe the piston bore in the barrel. This seems to help considerably in cutting down on carbon build up under the rings.

Edited by BBossman1

Thanks for the info in this post.

After shooting a 20 rd shotgun stage no problems, I put the gun away.(Had been 500 or so since last good cleaning) Next day shotgun stage 6 shots felt good then nothing, click, rack, click, rack.... Noticed bolt not going into battery. Between stages cleaned action only, not piston rings. Same problem. Took it apart tonight and wow there is a lot of cleaning in the piston ring that my quickie cleaning had missed.

Should have gotten better instruction on piston cleaning from mossberg.

Thank you Benny and other members for this info.

about 2,000 rds through gun love it!

• 2 months later...

I had this same malfunction and found the problem in my case to be the plastic sleeve that goes on top of the hammer spring fell off during cleaning leaving the spring in direct contact with the hammer and slipping to the side of the hammer when fired. When I replaced the spring cap the problem was gone.

I don't think this needs to be said, but take Benny Hill's advice.

That being said, I experienced the same issue with my 930. I didn't do anything magical or super techie, I simply switched to federal target loads. The explanation from my gunsmith was that the cheaper ammo (remington gun club) doesn't have as tight as quality controls as some of the more expensive stuff and as a result their primers do sit pretty low in the primer pocket. I switched to Federal and never had another problem. But one thing is for sure you have to shoot some high speed stuff out of the 930s to get them to cycle.... My experience anyway

But one thing is for sure you have to shoot some high speed stuff out of the 930s to get them to cycle.... My experience anyway

The first 100 or so rounds through my 930 were a mixture of REM and WIN Wally world bulk packs. No issues from day one with any ammo. So it really depends on the individual gun.

David E.

• 7 months later...
But one thing is for sure you have to shoot some high speed stuff out of the 930s to get them to cycle.... My experience anyway

The first 100 or so rounds through my 930 were a mixture of REM and WIN Wally world bulk packs. No issues from day one with any ammo. So it really depends on the individual gun.

David E.

Mine is shooting anything and I mean anything I put in it. 1oz loads from winchester, federal, estate, remington, fiocci, anything including aluminum heads. Around 2k so far.

David E.

Mine is shooting anything and I mean anything I put in it. 1oz loads from winchester, federal, estate, remington, fiocci, anything including aluminum heads. Around 2k so far.

Clean your piston and gas system...

My Thread about it on BE

My (longer) thread about it on Arfcom

Edited by barrysuperhawk

There is a small rubber/plastic cap on the top of the hammer spring which keeps the spring behind the hammer when the trigger is pulled. If that comes off the spring, on occasion, it will allow the spring to move to the side of the hammer causing a light hit.

Edited by Rehabber

Yup this is whats happened to me on my 930spx

• 7 years later...

I had the same problem with my Mossberg 930 Black water. and I found the problem, I Bought 150 rounds of Federal Premium Law enforcement Buckshot and 9 of the 150 rounds had to be forced in to the barrel with my finger because these rounds had bulging buckshot showing on the outside of the casing ( bumps ) that would not allow the bolt to close all the way allowing to much clearance between the firing pin and the shell. This was found when I manually fed each  of the rest of the shells in by hand and found some of the shells had to be forced in the last half of the way. I went to the range the next day and fired 50 of the shells I checked were good and all fired like they should have. I also had a Beretta 12 auto that wouldn't fire some of the cheaper no# 6 shot for the same reason (bumps) on the outside of the casing. Hopes this helps, Now I will buy one box and dump it out on the table at home and check each one and I If I find some bad ones I won't buy that brand again.

John, Covington Ga

• 2 years later...
On 10/24/2011 at 7:56 PM, Nuke8401 said:

Sounds like it’s not going to full battery.

Either the bolt is not going fully forward or the barrel is not completely seated.

You said you didn't clean it between the time it worked and when it stopped working.

Did you remove the barrel or loosen the tube nut? Install a mag extension?

Make sure the barrel is fully seated by hand before tightening the mag tube nut. If installing a tube extension; install just the coupling/nut, then the extension.

Make sure the order of components is correct on the mag tube, plastic piece that fits over the receiver about 1/16 - 1/8", spring, plastic piece with the steel pins, plastic sleeve, piston/barrel, then nut.(hope I got the order right)

David E.

930s rule!

Maybe Benny will chime in and tell you what's really wrong with it.