Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Major with 300BLK?!?

DocMedic

I would say $15K has as much to do w/ it as anything....

I'm guessing Daniel, Taran, and Rob are all shooting 300 blk. AAC is putting up some big money for this match and the top three winners, if they are shooting the Blackout.

Good luck, guys!

:cheers:

Is there really that much to be gained shooting major by the top competitors? I don't see it.

They could all just as easily shoot the 125gr. Ballistic Tip load with better ballistics for the longer stuff.

The additional prize money does not say it has to be major.

I don't think there is that much difference in the top shooters shooting major and minor. But I think that even with a minor load the split time is longer than with 223 so if you are going to have the longer splits why not try and make up some of the difference in shooting major?

I don't know, I am just throwing things out there from briefly talking with someone shooting 300blk.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I don't think there is that much difference in the top shooters shooting major and minor. But I think that even with a minor load the split time is longer than with 223 so if you are going to have the longer splits why not try and make up some of the difference in shooting major?

I don't know, I am just throwing things out there from briefly talking with someone shooting 300blk.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I diagree, there is a advantage in shooting major over your comptetiors that shoot minor and I'd bet u it's at least 10% of the points that they'll receive in the rifle portion. Major scoring doesn't allow for minor scoring to be competitive, and when there's no true disadvantage to running major (same mag compacity, running a comp to reduce recoil) the ballistic disavatage is meaningless with known distance targets if u know your holds

I seem to recall a Front Sight article from last year where the stats crew ran Daniel's numbers at the Nationals, and determined that his score would have been less than 2% lower had he shot minor, as opposed to major, and the overall results would not have changed at all.

I have no opinion, I'm just sayin...

I seem to recall a Front Sight article from last year where the stats crew ran Daniel's numbers at the Nationals, and determined that his score would have been less than 2% lower had he shot minor, as opposed to major, and the overall results would not have changed at all.

Exactly John. It makes very little to no difference at all in the top shooters scores to shoot major.

And last I spoke with Daniel, he was considering shooting the 125gr. ballistic tip loads which made minor.

Can anyone confirm what he actually shot?

Exactly John. It makes very little to no difference at all in the top shooters scores to shoot major.

And last I spoke with Daniel, he was considering shooting the 125gr. ballistic tip loads which made minor.

No rifle on the stage I worked; article said 155gr, but I heard (from other staff, but not directly from chrono) that he didn't make major at chrono, that major had been expected by DH, and that their ammo man would catch hell. I can't seem to access scores now... 2nd (3rd?) hand info - take it for what it's worth.

Best,

ac

No rifle on the stage I worked; article said 155gr, but I heard (from other staff, but not directly from chrono) that he didn't make major at chrono, that major had been expected by DH, and that their ammo man would catch hell. I can't seem to access scores now... 2nd (3rd?) hand info - take it for what it's worth.

Best,

ac

Looking at the results of stage 9 I'm fairly certain he made major. Matt Sweeney, another AMU shooter , was shooting HM but didn't make major. As a result he was bumped to open. He likely would have won the HM match if he had made PF.

Good lord, how can you not make major with 308?

Was it a 100 something grain hoser load or something.

I think he was shooting the .30 cal AMU cartridge, .30 Action Shooting, .30 Gremlin or whatever they call the thing. What Daniel shot last year when there wasn't 10K on the line from AAC. I know following their squad around there was a lot of un headstamped brass laying around.

Match results: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=3130

Looks like only the pistol PF is shown. I heard Sweeney went to Open for an extra round in the SG tube, not PF issues.

Nope just a rumor. It was minor PF on the rifle. I talked to stats to make sure I wasn't spreading rumors on this. Three on the AMU, Payne, Halsey and Sweeney all went minor with the rifle (makes sense since they were all shooting the same ammo and load). Horner was shooting 300BLK and made major.

The difference with Major scoring was about 2%, actually a little less. Figure the added speed Horner would have had shooting minor rifle and he probably comes out in the hole shooting major rifle. Except of course for the 10K that he won for shooting that caliber.