Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 MGM Ironman

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the drain it must be to put on a match like Ironman. I've shot 4 of them and Trav always looks like he's been rode hard and put away wet. Despite that, he, and everyone else, does a great job at putting on that match. My hat goes off to all of them, and especially Travis. I like to RO at least one match every year, but I gotta say that I don't think I'm enough of an Ironman to work the Ironman! It's hard enough just to shoot it!

Last year I had ankle surgery which prevented me from shooting any 3-gun matches, so I missed out on Ironman, and others too. This year I was really looking forward to making at least a match or 2. I was too late to get registered for Ephrata or NW Challenge, but I was right here at the computer at 5:30 Pacific time to get into Ironman. I filled out the on-line registration form, hit the button at the bottom, and was sent back to the previous page. I didn't have a confirmation that I was registered, and it just didn't feel right, so I opened the registration form again, but by then it was only the waiting list. I e-mailed Trav and he says my name isn't showing on either the registrants or waiting list. So, I don't know what happened. Whatever it was, it makes me sick! I was REALLY looking forward to making it there this year. Oh well, such is life. I may have had a senior moment and hit the wrong button at the bottom of the form and cancelled my registration. Maybe I'll just use some of the money I had earmarked for the match and get one of those fancy resetting US poppers that MGM has on sale this month!

I appreciate the drain it must be to put on a match like Ironman. I've shot 4 of them and Trav always looks like he's been rode hard and put away wet. Despite that, he, and everyone else, does a great job at putting on that match. My hat goes off to all of them, and especially Travis. I like to RO at least one match every year, but I gotta say that I don't think I'm enough of an Ironman to work the Ironman! It's hard enough just to shoot it!

Last year I had ankle surgery which prevented me from shooting any 3-gun matches, so I missed out on Ironman, and others too. This year I was really looking forward to making at least a match or 2. I was too late to get registered for Ephrata or NW Challenge, but I was right here at the computer at 5:30 Pacific time to get into Ironman. I filled out the on-line registration form, hit the button at the bottom, and was sent back to the previous page. I didn't have a confirmation that I was registered, and it just didn't feel right, so I opened the registration form again, but by then it was only the waiting list. I e-mailed Trav and he says my name isn't showing on either the registrants or waiting list. So, I don't know what happened. Whatever it was, it makes me sick! I was REALLY looking forward to making it there this year. Oh well, such is life. I may have had a senior moment and hit the wrong button at the bottom of the form and cancelled my registration. Maybe I'll just use some of the money I had earmarked for the match and get one of those fancy resetting US poppers that MGM has on sale this month!

No That happened to me too. Was weird. No doubt about it. I've signed up for a lot of matches. This was weird.

Shot all the matches since 2005 and didn't make it on the list, don't know what I did to pissoff MGM.

HAHA!! If you pissed me off, you'd know it because I'd come up with something a lot better than not letting you into the match!! :goof:

I've been out of town since the middle of Novemeber. I know that isn't a good excuse, but I did my very best to make sure all of the updates were on the website, including the preregistration for shooters that had shot the match the previous two years or 5 years total. Not sure what else I should have done. The entire reason for doing the registration on line was to remove any hint of favoratism.

Just so everyone out there knows it, I HATE THIS MATCH!

IT IS A COMPLETE MONEY LOOSER FOR MGM DUE TO THE FACT THAT THERE IS SO MUCH SHOOTING, WE ARE LIMITED TO HOW MANY PARTICIPANTS WE CAN TAKE.

IT IS A COMPLETE DRAIN OF MGM'S EMPLOYEES TIME.

I ALWAYS SHOOT LIKE $H!T AT THE MATCH BECAUSE I'M SO FREAKIN' TIRED FROM BEING OUT THERE FOR THE PREVIOUS WEEK AND HALF SETTING UP.

I'VE SPENT MY BIRTHDAY AT THE RANGE FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS.

Just so you know, my fun meter is about pegged. I'd actually considered this being the last year. Maybe it will be. :eatdrink:

Oh sack up Nancy! Geez it's not like this is the first thing MGM does to support the shooting sports that is a complete time and money drain (Junior camp anyone?). And really, shoot like $H!T? You won Irons last year and got to shoot in the shootoffs at the end even though you were beat by a more rested and clearly more physically fit shooter. BTW remind me, I need to call you and ask for some more help on the Crimson Trace Match in July. :devil: Fun meter pegged...we're gonna break that puppy.

All kidding aside, thanks for putting this thing on Trav. After putting on a bunch of matches, that are in general about the equivalent of one MGM Ironman stage, I can only imagine what a pain this thing is. It's killing me I can't go this year. Don't even try to skip it for 2013 though. I will hound you till your ears fall off if you try.

Shot all the matches since 2005 and didn't make it on the list, don't know what I did to pissoff MGM.

HAHA!! If you pissed me off, you'd know it because I'd come up with something a lot better than not letting you into the match!! :goof:

I've been out of town since the middle of Novemeber. I know that isn't a good excuse, but I did my very best to make sure all of the updates were on the website, including the preregistration for shooters that had shot the match the previous two years or 5 years total. Not sure what else I should have done. The entire reason for doing the registration on line was to remove any hint of favoratism.

IT IS A COMPLETE MONEY LOOSER FOR MGM DUE TO THE FACT THAT THERE IS SO MUCH SHOOTING, WE ARE LIMITED TO HOW MANY PARTICIPANTS WE CAN TAKE.

I ALWAYS SHOOT LIKE $H!T AT THE MATCH BECAUSE I'M SO FREAKIN' TIRED FROM BEING OUT THERE FOR THE PREVIOUS WEEK AND HALF SETTING UP.

Just so you know, my fun meter is about pegged. I'd actually considered this being the last year. Maybe it will be. :eatdrink:

My birthday is in May, and we don't have any employees(so it's just JJ and I before the match), we don't have our own gun related business(just our own money to lose), but, some days...I'm so with you!!!! (Edited to add...about RM3G not MGM! Just wanted to clarify! :blink: )

Denise :eatdrink: (and what's in these little glasses anyway???)

Edited by Benelli Chick

No That happened to me too. Was weird. No doubt about it. I've signed up for a lot of matches. This was weird.

Hmmm! I'm wondering if there was a glitch in the website then. Probably too late to do anything about it now, though!

My birthday is in May, and we don't have any employees(so it's just JJ and I before the match), we don't have our own gun related business(just our own money to lose), but, some days...I'm so with you!!!! (Edited to add...about RM3G not MGM! Just wanted to clarify! :blink: )

Denise :eatdrink: (and what's in these little glasses anyway???)

From all the whining I'm thinking the shots are estrogen! :devil:

Any reason for the capacity change? From 65 to 40?

So no one else can sign up in that division. with people registering two or three people at a time, we actually went over. that's just a cap for right now. There are actually WAY more than that registered and we plan on upping that in a few days after we have all the registrations sent out and start pulling from the wait list.

Adios,

TG

Where are the match rules posted?

They are under the "rules" tab on the homepage. Ironman home page link

Does this mean you got into the match?

Adios,

TG

Trooper class is the only thing that I get under rules.

Just click on the word RULES. Don't click on "Trooper Rules"

Adios,

TG

Ok, I was on the waiting list and just got put on the shooting roster tonight (OLTH). Now im nervous, this is my first major match, i shoot at a local club from time to time, but not anywhere else. Lots of questions. Reading the rules for limited, not sure If my equipment will make it. I would like to shoot my STI 2011 (40sw), looks like a Brazos custom, iron sights, makes limited division in USPSA rules, but all I have are 140mm mags for it, so by the rules, says no extended mags, is that gun sidelined? I have a Glock 35 I shoot also, guess I could shoot it. I have an 16" AR15 I built from scratch, nothing too special, but I have an Eotech 552, 1x red dot optic, back up irons on it that stay down, and a Jerry Miculek Comp on it. Im still waiting for Mossber to release their JM Pro shotgun, but currently have a 870 remmy. Can I shoot limited division with the STI, AR and shotty? Or should I just start planning on the Glock with standard length mags? with a 1x optic on my AR, I plan on shooting my Rem 700 in .308 for long range targets

Other question is the camp sight, I have a full size motorhome, how large is the campsite, can I fit there? i understand its dry camping, not a problem, just the size is my concern. For this match is there power factors to meet, Major/Minor etc? I have tons of questions at this point, but will try to educate myself more before asking here.

Reading the rules for limited, not sure If my equipment will make it. I would like to shoot my STI 2011 (40sw), looks like a Brazos custom, iron sights, makes limited division in USPSA rules, but all I have are 140mm mags for it, so by the rules, says no extended mags, is that gun sidelined? I have a Glock 35 I shoot also, guess I could shoot it. I have an 16" AR15 I built from scratch, nothing too special, but I have an Eotech 552, 1x red dot optic, back up irons on it that stay down, and a Jerry Miculek Comp on it. Im still waiting for Mossber to release their JM Pro shotgun, but currently have a 870 remmy. Can I shoot limited division with the STI, AR and shotty? Or should I just start planning on the Glock with standard length mags? ? I have tons of questions at this point, but will try to educate myself more before asking here.

The FAQ tab on MGM Ironman page has most of your answers, including some that you wouldn't think to ask. Here's the info on mag length:

Can I use extended pistol magazines in limited? Open? Trooper? Heavy rifle?

No, Yes, Yes, No – this is all dependent on the magazine you are referring to. Pistol mags can be extended in Open, Trooper, and Scoped Tactical (if your pistol is your open gun)

•Open – As long as you want.

•Trooper – As long as you want.

•Scoped Tactical – 140mm max.

•Heavy Rifle – 140mm max.

yeah, thats what I thought I read, just didnt seem right that the rest of the world, Limited division allows up to 140mm mags, which is what I built my 2011 to shoot in, but limited at the ironman seems more like production rules. so since I dont have "standard" length mags, Glock it is I guess.

yeah, thats what I thought I read, just didnt seem right that the rest of the world, Limited division allows up to 140mm mags, which is what I built my 2011 to shoot in, but limited at the ironman seems more like production rules. so since I dont have "standard" length mags, Glock it is I guess.

140 is "standard" for a 2011 Limited gun; 170 would be extended. If that's wrong, I'm screwed because I don't own a Glock.

thus the confusing part, looking further into the "rules" I find this, which lists the 140 as standard length, so perhaps just a more secure holster for the 2011 rather than CR Speed and good to go.

5.2 Handgun - Limited and Scoped Tactical Class

5.2.1 Firearms must be of a factory configuration.

5.2.2 Internal modifications are allowed providing they do not alter the original factory configuration of the handgun.

5.2.3 Firearms with custom or factory installed electronic sights, optical sights, extended sights, compensators or barrel porting are NOT allowed in this class.

5.2.4 Magazines used shall not exceed 170 mm OAL (overall length) for single stacks, and shall not exceed 140 mm OAL for staggered magazines.

I picked up a Center of Mass holster (http://www.comholsters.com/) for multi-gun match use after hearing about all of the DQs resulting from dropped guns and CR Speed holsters. Still use the CR Speed for most USPSA matches, but I really like the COM product and have been using it lately to get used to the slightly different draw :cheers:

I have not shot the spinner yet and I have a few questions for those of you that have. I will be shooting a 9mm so I am wondering if there are any recommendations on ammo. Normally I shoot factory 115 and I see that the 124's are available with the same or a little better power, but when I look into the 147 grain stuff it seems to be lighter. I understand that most manufactures are trying to get a subsonic round, but I am looking for a 147 to help with the spinner.

I am willing to hand load a bunch of 147's if that is recommended but would like to also shoot some factory 115 at the paper. Is this allowed and even if it is would it be a bad idea?

Any input would be appriciated.

I have not shot the spinner yet and I have a few questions for those of you that have. I will be shooting a 9mm so I am wondering if there are any recommendations on ammo. Normally I shoot factory 115 and I see that the 124's are available with the same or a little better power, but when I look into the 147 grain stuff it seems to be lighter. I understand that most manufactures are trying to get a subsonic round, but I am looking for a 147 to help with the spinner.

I am willing to hand load a bunch of 147's if that is recommended but would like to also shoot some factory 115 at the paper. Is this allowed and even if it is would it be a bad idea?

Any input would be appriciated.

If your shooting Trooper Division, just bring a 40 with your nine, otherwise 9mm is more then capable of turning the spinner, just takes more rounds, and pray that a Strong wind doesn't come in and kill the spinners movement completely.. like it happen to me last year :surprise: