Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Engaging a Tight/Difficult Array

I would engage this T3, T4, T2, then T1. I think it's easier to speed up my splits and transitions than to slow them down.

T4 and T3 are tougher shots, so I'd want to see more of my front sight before breaking the shot. T2 and T1 are easier by comparison so I can speed up. I've always had trouble slowing my pace once I'm rolling, so I think it's best shot in that order.

Edited by ihatepickles

t3-t4-t2-t1. t3 is slow to start tight anyway backhand to t4, up to t2 and then t1, no shots are blind(gun covering up a target,like starting t1 to t3)t4-t3-t2-t1 is an option but I like shooting from bottom to top. :cheers:

Edited by KPIC24

At seven yards, my draw to an open target is around 1 second. Transitions would be in the .3 range with splits being just a little faster. In this specific set up, I would tend to draw to the open targets and slow down on the hard cover targets. AT THIS Distance.

If it was out to 12-25+ yards, I would always take the hard target first.

Generally it is much easier to speed up than to slow down.

I have set up a COF that I call the semi-circle of death. The shooter is in the middle with the close target being about 7 yards out, with the remaining targets being further out and generally with hard cover and no-shoots. Those people who shoot the close targets first and faster tend to have mikes and no - shoots on the farther targets. It is really a speed trap COF. Start fast on the near targets and get caught speeding on the far targets.

At seven yards, I would tend to go fast all the way. If I draw on the hard cover first, I would add a half second to the draw but everything else would be the same for transitions and splits.

I opened the door and shot T1,T2,T4,T3. I did that so that I didn't have to have as good a sight picture while drawing and opening the door. Once I was setup up I was already on T2 and then just came down. I tend to shoot these target arays, squares, clockwise when I can starting with bottom left and coming around but in this instance it made more sense, at least to me, to start on the easier target while drawing and opening a door. I never really speed up persay as my speed was pretty well the same through out. I'll have my video up in a little while, if you want to go over it. Not saying what I did in it is the right way to do it just gives people an idea of what we saw yesterday.

I opened the door and shot T1,T2,T4,T3. I did that so that I didn't have to have as good a sight picture while drawing and opening the door. Once I was setup up I was already on T2 and then just came down. I tend to shoot these target arays, squares, clockwise when I can starting with bottom left and coming around but in this instance it made more sense, at least to me, to start on the easier target while drawing and opening a door. I never really speed up persay as my speed was pretty well the same through out. I'll have my video up in a little while, if you want to go over it. Not saying what I did in it is the right way to do it just gives people an idea of what we saw yesterday.

I think I would do it this way too

I like to draw on the easy targets but I also like to shoot a square array like that bottom to top. In that situation what I would probably do is do the opposite of what my buddy does and see who comes out better.

I like to draw on the easy targets but I also like to shoot a square array like that bottom to top. In that situation what I would probably do is do the opposite of what my buddy does and see who comes out better.

Me and Shaun do that A LOT at the indoor matches. We shoot so close on the times its good to see which one would come out better for our own shooting performance.

Its usually easier and faster to transition from a low target to a high target because you can pickup and see the higher targets easier. When you transition from a high target to a low target your gun and arms are in the way so you have to move the gun down before you can even see the target you want to engage.

At 7 yards these targets are all pretty much the same shot difficulty so it does not matter which one you start on from a shot difficulty perspective.

I would engage these targets either clockwise or counterclockwise starting with either T3 or T4. Which clock wise direction I engage the targets depends on which direction I would need to go after this shooting position. If I had to move to the left I would engage the targets clockwise, if I had to move to the right I would engage the targets counter clockwise. Picking the ending target that gets your body moving in the direction to the next shooting position is far more important than most people understand.

I'm confused by the shooters that would engage differently from further distances. To me, a hard target vs. an easy target are still hard/easy regardless of distance.

I suppose I'm also in disagreement with the shooters that would end on a right side target if they were moving right. For me, it's always quicker to shoot a right side target when I'm leaving to the left. For the benefit of those that didn't shoot this stage, the actual course of fire required uprange (rearward) movement and not right or left.

Edited by ihatepickles

If its a wide open target array, I'll shoot in the direction I'm moving. If its through a port or around a wall I shoot furthest left when moving right/furthest right when moving left because it normally allows me to engage the deepest target first then get moving the other direction while finishing out the rest. Also the angle allows me the most time for any makeup shots.

Its really up to what you are most comfortable doing.

3rd stage in vid. I shot bottom right, then clockwise. At the back corners, I shot right to left on both because the targets went from open to A zone only in that direction. 1 bravo in 15 and change.

Edited by want2race

3rd stage in vid. I shot bottom right, then clockwise. At the back corners, I shot right to left on both because the targets went from open to A zone only in that direction. 1 bravo in 15 and change.

As a Production shooter, shooting a CZ 75 SP01 Shadow with DA first shot, I'd pick an easy target to draw & engage first shot if the options were there. T1 or T2. Same as moving into a position on a difficult shot, pick the easy option if available to set up on.