Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major with autocomp

60crewman

So I am trying to figure out a 9mm major load for a stainless kkm barrel with a 3 port comp. On a glock 17. So far i have used 6.6 grs of autocomp. and 124gr JHP, with a OAL of 1.145. I am having ejection problems with my gun. Am i not using enough powder? Could that be why i have about 1 in 20 fail to eject. it does extract fine, it stovepipes with the case mouth at 45 degrees. It does not apper to be hitting my cmore mount, so far i have tried a 13 pound recoil spring, stronger extractor spring, non lci extractor and a longer zev tech ejector. I dont have a chrono yet. I know i am working on getting one. If anyone has loaded for this kind of set up please help. Thanks

I guess I should have been a litle more clear will i need more powder to make my gun function? i.e. stop my failure to eject's?

You need to find a chrono to borrow.

you need to confirm that your making major PF before adding powder (especially when you're loading short and using anything but the slower powders.) If you are making PF, you'll have to look at and different source for the FTE's.

On a glock 17. i have used 6.6 grs of autocomp. and 124gr JHP, with a OAL of 1.145. 1 in 20 stovepipes .

Really two questions here:

1. are you making major? - probably not, it usually takes a few more .1's or .2's to

make major with the 124 gr and Autocomp. But, you really don't want to try to

make major without a chrono.

2. Increasing your powder by 0.3 grains probably won't make your stovepipes disappear - but it might.

More likely to be a magazine, or some part of the ejection mechanism

(extractor or ejector, etc).

Good luck with it. It can be frustrating. But, lots of fun, too:)

Jack

So I am trying to figure out a 9mm major load for a stainless kkm barrel with a 3 port comp. On a glock 17. So far i have used 6.6 grs of autocomp. and 124gr JHP, with a OAL of 1.145. I am having ejection problems with my gun. Am i not using enough powder? Could that be why i have about 1 in 20 fail to eject. it does extract fine, it stovepipes with the case mouth at 45 degrees. It does not apper to be hitting my cmore mount, so far i have tried a 13 pound recoil spring, stronger extractor spring, non lci extractor and a longer zev tech ejector. I dont have a chrono yet. I know i am working on getting one. If anyone has loaded for this kind of set up please help. Thanks

Wow, just wow... :surprise:

What kind of pressure signs do you have now?

Doing load development without a crono is asking for major troubles. STOP and get a crono before you go any further. 9 major load development isn't the place to be without a crono. Its waaaaay beyond specs but it can be done safely, with a crono.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=531741

$85... Thats all it costs to have a crono...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I guess the one question I keep returning to is why are you running the OAL so short?

Not being familiar with the KKM barrel-in-question, I suppose it could be as long as you can safely chamber? But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Your mags will take a bit over 1.160, for sure. Ask me how I know. :D

Did I miss something, He said a Glock 17... I don't think Glock Mags are setup to run OAL's as long as 1911/2011 type mag/mechanisms are...

If it's not short cycling, and you are extracting, but not ejecting, I would say more than likely it's an ejector issue, in 2011 type guns there are about a million ways to tune an ejector... In a 9Major gun with a scope above the ejection port, there is only one that will work :)...

Alan

I have the same , g17 KKM with 3 port comp. 124 MG CMJs but with 7.0 AC. And same issues. I did not spend the tme to diagnose the problem , I just went back to shooting Limited/Production. But just recently I found on this forum that some fixes are tweaking the ejector, changing to a Carver ejector,changing to the older style non-loaded indicator extractor, using a .40 bearing, and / or stiffer plunger spring . I believe the posts are in the Open Guns category.

Did I miss something, He said a Glock 17... I don't think Glock Mags are setup to run OAL's as long as 1911/2011 type mag/mechanisms are...

No, they're not.

But they will run a lot longer than he's trying right now. Just shy of 1.170 didn't bind in mine, but I dropped it down to 1.160 for a little breathing room. And because you can feel them going wonky as you're filling the mag, I wouldn't be uncomfortable loading them to 1.165 and just chucking those that gave me fits as I started to cram them home.

Now, given-- in an Open gun with aftermarket pads and loooooong springs, you might not be able to get away with this. But... I don't see why not. More than anything, I was curious how he decided on such a short length, as everyone I know running 9 Major (2011 or otherwise) has them as long as possible, if for no other reason than to fit more powder in.

His chamber might be the limiting factor, which is really want I wanted to know as I may be going to a fitted KKM in the near future. FWIW, my particular stock barrel can run a MUCH longer round than the mags will allow with 124 MG JHP's, even with a .015 lead (for safety).

Hello: Try a lighter recoil spring. I was running a 10lb recoil in my open Glock 9mm. It functioned fine but I was also using 115grain bullets with HS-6 powder. Your load should be close but may be a little light but should still function with the lighter spring. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I may have missed it but your ejection port has been lowered hasn't it. I am shooting autocomp 6.8gr, 124gr MG JHP, OAL 1.149 PF 172. This is with a G17 KKM barrel and an 11port Carver Comp. Ejection port lowered 0.10 inch. Spring is a 13 lb ISMI on a jager captured rod. We did have some ejections problems using an 8 lb sping firing minor rounds. It sounds like that you are a little light on your load. Inch it up slowly, you would be suprise what 0.1 grain extra will do. It will make a poor running gun into a race gun.

Thanks to all that replied, So here is what i found out. Gun runs great with out the cmore mount. Gun will cycle all kinds of ammo factory - 9mm major. I took the cmore mount off and recorded my ejection pattern. 1 in 15 would go straight up or over the left side of the gun i also watched it very carefully. So to make sure i could replace the big cmore with the micro dot mount I took the cmore off and cut the back of the mount off where the micro dot mount ends gun ran 100% for 200 rounds of all types of ammo. Bottom line i am getting a SJC micro dot mount and a STS, or fastfire just need to do some research and see which is the better option. Thanks again, Oh and my chrono is on the way.......

Thanks to all that replied, So here is what i found out. Gun runs great with out the cmore mount. Gun will cycle all kinds of ammo factory - 9mm major. I took the cmore mount off and recorded my ejection pattern. 1 in 15 would go straight up or over the left side of the gun i also watched it very carefully. So to make sure i could replace the big cmore with the micro dot mount I took the cmore off and cut the back of the mount off where the micro dot mount ends gun ran 100% for 200 rounds of all types of ammo. Bottom line i am getting a SJC micro dot mount and a STS, or fastfire just need to do some research and see which is the better option. Thanks again, Oh and my chrono is on the way.......

I have the Jäger Open kit for the G17 with the STS , and it still have ejection issues .

Ahh, that actually makes a lot of senes. Didn't even consider the mount knocking them back into the ejection port!

I get about 1 in 15 at my feet or bouncing off the top of the gun (on El Pres) with my Minor load out of the G17, with 13# ISMI spring. It should have occurred to me sooner that the mount was your problem. Hope it all works out for you!

I asked Johnny Lim what load he recommended for my new Fastcat 9mm open gun. His load was 6.8 gr AutoComp with a 124 gr JHP, WSRP loaded to 1.150-1.160 OAL.

My gun has 6 small holes in the barrel and a long 3 port comp. Hope this helps.