Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone 5

Merlin Orr

Apple sent out numerous invitations to members of major media outlets for a media event that is scheduled for October 4th. Tim Cook, the Chief Executive of Apple, is set to lead the meeting. The meeting is currently set for 10AM Pacific Time. The invitations were sent out with the headline “Let’s talk iPhone” so we know there will be some major next-generation iPhone discussion happening.

My younger kid's 4 is massively shattered front and back. She'll get the 5 when they hit the stores...

I predict the 5 will look basically the same. A couple of tweaks. Larger screen area. Faster processor. Definitely 4G. But it will be a 4 platform.

Apple needs to completely change the design. There has to be a viable alternative to glass. It's just too fragile. I'm on my second 4, my older kid is on her third 4. The design is neat, but what good is it if you have to keep it in a huge box?

And while everyone is looking to spend the bucks at the cell phone store soon.

DO NOT BUY Apple Care!!!

The kids at the AT&T store will tell you it is a fully comprehensive replacement plan. It is not. It's a factory warranty extension. Apple knows this and will replace your phone 1 time for free with a reconditioned model.

Well it HAS to have a glass touch panel; they ALL do. It MAY have an aluminum back this time, contoured similar to the iPad 2. My advice is carry it in your pocket with the glass side facing inward and.... just don't drop it. Don't drop ANY of them, really.

Does it really HAVE to have a glass screen? I know there are Plexiglass replacements, but then you have to replace the digitizer. When the 5 comes out I'll have a 4 to play around with. A coworker changed his screen and put a metal back on. I'll do that and look at options for non glass screen replacement.

I use a Speck case. Had one with the 3 and they seem to do pretty good. Kind of kills the design coolness though if you have to put it in a vault cause it's so fragile...

Kind of kills the design coolness though if you have to put it in a vault cause it's so fragile...

Definitely a TRUTH! I have the Otter Box Armor on my 3, but it has saved my phone too many times to not get another one :devil:

Edited by Modoc

Does it really HAVE to have a glass screen? I know there are Plexiglass replacements, but then you have to replace the digitizer. When the 5 comes out I'll have a 4 to play around with. A coworker changed his screen and put a metal back on. I'll do that and look at options for non glass screen replacement.

I use a Speck case. Had one with the 3 and they seem to do pretty good. Kind of kills the design coolness though if you have to put it in a vault cause it's so fragile...

yes, it does have to be glass. Plexiglass scratches and looks cheap like... well... all plastics do. (It's no accident that MacBooks and iMacs are aluminum.) Gorilla glass doesn't scratch unless you're just completely abusive to it (my wife managed to put a VERY small scratch on her's within a couple of weeks of having it, but that's 'cause she was carrying it in her purse banging up against her key ring) and it looks classy, and the coating on top of that resists finger prints. (I don't have any sort of screen protector on my 3Gs, no does Cindy on her 4.)

I have a gel pack case (covers the back side) on my iPhone 3Gs and the only reason I have that is that the glossy black composite back is a finger print magnet. Cindy has a similar gel pack case on her iPhone 4 which covers the back, but that's because the back glass ISN'T gorilla glass. It should have been, and THAT'S the only fault I find with the iPhone 4 design.

Again, don't want to break your phone, apple or otherwise? Good. Don't drop it. Hell, don't drop ANYTHING you don't want to risk breaking.

I just upgraded from the iPhone 3G (no, not the 3GS, the one older than that) to the iPhone 4. What a difference. i couldn't wait for the iPhone 5 anymore. Some of you will be happy to know that they have gotten rid of Apple Care. Instead, you can pay $9.99/month for insurance if you choose.

For cases, i'm a big fan of the Otter Box Defender. Among many incidents, my old iPhone survived a 70 ft drop from the top of a silo down onto a black-topped parking lot. My new phone in the new Otter Defender just survived a 40 ft drop off a conveyor platform onto a grated mezzanine deck. No phone damage what so ever. Pretty impressive.

Very disappointing!! Expectations were high for an Iphone 5 and a lot of people I suspect are very unhappy right now. A lot of people are talking about switching to Android if the 5 didn't come out. The Nexus Prime is supposed to be the I-phone killer. Guess I will stick with the 4 and will have to be satisfied with the IOS5 update on October 12.