Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone 5

Merlin Orr

iPhone 4S looks good, and it's not a surprise. A whole new redesign would have been announced at MacWorld or WWDC or some other huge venue in front of thousands, like the iPad 2 was earlier this year. I'll absolutely get one when my contract runs out in December, no question!

Time to short Apple! :D

Without actually holding an IPhone 4S itself, I would say that the 4S simply brings the hardware commensurate with that of most high-end Android devices. The speed of the throughput, at least through HSPA+, should be in the 12mb range like the Atrix. Combine that with the dual-core and better graphics capability, I think current IPhone users will see big time speed increases.....but again, equal to that of Android devices.

As to which device you want - it really boils down now to which OS do you prefer? Now I carry both the IPhone and the Atrix and I can say that IOS is just easier to use, a little more intuitive, and I prefer its notifications over Android. On the flip side, IPhone is FAR from being able to customize like my Android.....so it definitely loses some "cool" factor in that area.

While many are disappointed with today's announcement.....I think that disappointment is due to VERY high expectations and rumors of what we had hoped would be announced. And instead, Apple simply announced that their phone will now be equal to most high-end Android devices. Not the typical announcement we are used to seeing.

I've had a Droid X for about a year and a half and am ready to dump it for an iPhone. I guess this 4S will be the one I go for. The Droid is pretty nice but, having everything else Apple at home just makes it seamless. Plus the Android Market really blows in comparison to the App Store. I think the ONLY thing I will miss when I switch to the iPhone is Swype keyboard.

Edited by Vermilion

Huge suckage IMHO.....

It's actually a pretty significant upgrade, not to be lightly dismissed. And the new 64gb model makes my similar-sized iPod touch somewhat irrelevant. http://goo.gl/jNa8v

I agree it seems to be a more substantial upgrade than the 3G to 3GS - which was very noticeable and a big improvement IMO... (I skipped the ver 4) What irks me is I KNOW that the ver 5 will come about 1/2 way into my new contract and just piss me off to no end....

I will probably order one but am seriously thinking of buying ti with no contract - that way I can and keep my old plan with no data limit... IF they will let me do so...

My 3gs is getting flaky, I was hoping for something that kicked butt. Upon reflection, I can't be too disappointed by it as it fixes most of my issues with my current iphone, and issues I ahd with the iphone 4. The only two things it really missed were a slightly larger screen, and fixing the issue of the rear glass. It's faster, has a better graphics chip, it ahs more RAM (not flash memory, actual RAM), and it gets better battery life in theory as well as fixing the antenna issue.

About the only thing I would really have liked that it doesn't have is the IPS retina display ina 4" form factor. I have a 4" amoled android, and I love the size and contrast, but for e-reader duties, the amoled coupled with the slightly lower resolution of the phone has some issues.

I believe we don't have IPhone 5 because it is going to be LTE, hence an upgraded 4 is what we were given. Apple has already stated that it will take serious changes in design on their part to build a LTE phone.

Remember VZ 3G and AT&T 3G are not similar, in any way. VZ's is a software upgrade to their 2G, hence why their speeds are 10% - 30% of AT&T's current 3G version, HSPA+. Unlike AT&T's version, VZ's 3G doesn't allow voice and data simultaneously. It is for these reasons that VZ had to go first into LTE, and build out fast since their LTE is not backwards compatible to 3G, like AT&T's version is. And therefore, their LTE phones will have to have two transceivers for their phones to ensure coverage (1 for CDMA and 1 for LTE). That is a battery killer......and as everyone knows from using several of today's phones, batteries are already drained quite rapidly.

So a LTE IPhone is going to take some serious design and hardware changes on Apple's part......I don't think we see an IPhone 5 until next year's announcement time.

This'll be a bit of a drift, but I'm curious how you all's 3Gs and other older phones are, as one of you described, "getting flaky"? Mine's almost 2 years old, and it's as rock solid as the day I opened the box. What are you guys doing to to your phones?! :rolleyes:

FWIW, I just ordered my 4S this morning. My 3GS still runs fine, but it has gotten slower, and the buttons aren't as responsive as they were when new. Basically, the iPhone has held up about as well as my laptops, and I replace them every 2-3 years.

This'll be a bit of a drift, but I'm curious how you all's 3Gs and other older phones are, as one of you described, "getting flaky"? Mine's almost 2 years old, and it's as rock solid as the day I opened the box. What are you guys doing to to your phones?! :rolleyes:

Well my 3gs the mute switch is getting weird. It will trigger the vibration and mute icon repeatedly from just barley touching it while in mute. It doesn't bring it out of mute, just makes seeing what you are doing annoying. Also, capacitive touch screens tend to be less precise at the edges. One of the nice things with the iphone is that their screen is one of the best at judging input at the edges. Mine is getting more imprecise in general, but much more so at the edges. Enough so that answering the phone and canceling alarms is getting to be a PITA. Heck, if it was the old style resistive screen like on my old palm, I'd recalibrate it, but I haven't seen such a feature on any capacitive touch device. Also, my battery life is getting meaningfully shorter. I never did make it through more than about 1.3 days, so the first 30% of shrinking didn't mean much, but it's getting to the point where I'm having to plug it in when I get home form work. Also, as the OS keeps advancing, and people get more adventurous with apps, the lack of ram on the 3gs is becoming an issue. Add into that the fact it is starting to pick up enough scratches to annoy me despite being careful with it, and it's just getting long in the tooth.

I use mine a LOT, and I have to say it has significantly outperformed any plain old cellphone I have ever owned in terms of battery durability over 2+ years, as well as scratching.