Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shannon Smith 2011 Limited National Champion

Sandro

This is a great example of how hard work, followed by serious self-assessment, then followed by more hard work can eventually pan out. Seeing someone win who is a great shooting coach, a willing Match Staffer, and a stridently honest competitor is a terrific example for everyone in the sport. Shannon's win is not just great for him (and it is great for him), but is great for USPSA: RLTW! 813!

Thanks folks. I appreciate the thanks and it means a lot coming from my Enos family especially Brian. Though we have never met I always admired his accomplishments in and service to the sport. I will have more posts and media on my website some time this week but wanted to post here first.

A word of caution....this is likely to be a long post. I have been a member here for many years, I haven't posted much in the last couple but I have learned a TON from the knowledge on this forum and am always willing to share.

I can't express what an honor it is to win this match. If my memory and research is correct there have only been 8 people to win the Limited Nationals. 5 of those have come in the past 6 years. What does that say about the level of competition in Limited? Although I love Open, Limited has always been my favorite largely because I think it always has the highest level of competition.

Quick match recap: I thought the stages were pretty good. Good mix of accuracy requirements and field courses. On many of the big stages they had enough no-shoots to make you think about trying to point shoot them. I shot decent the first day and was just happy to get through penalty free. The second day we had a lot of stages and I felt like I really shot well. Once the results posted that night the pucker factor really began to set in. There are some that may say they don't feel the pressure but I find that a little hard to believe. Leading the Nationals going into the last day is probably the most pressure/nerves I've ever felt.

So we start the last day with me in the lead and Manny 3 points back...that obviously is nothing. Travis, Ted, Nils were all not too far back. The first stage of the last day (stage 1 if you were there) had a foot activator a little bit out of the way. Manny is second up on the first stage of the last day of the Nationals knowing he is one Charlie out of the lead and he decides to throw a spare mag left handed on the start signal at the foot activator so he can blow through the position. It effin works perfectly and he goes 10 something seconds. You can't imagine what kind of balls it takes to try some shit like that in that position. So I thought "well this is what I'm going to have to deal with all day". That's pretty much how it was, Travis, Manny, BJ, Ted all gunning for the lead... I figured there wasn't a whole hell of a lot I could do about it so just go out and attack the stages. No shame in getting beat by any of these guys but I didn't want to take myself out. So as cliche as it is I decided to just shoot my game as best as I could and what happens happens. A lot of the guys were making mistakes trying to catch up and I guess that is pretty much how it goes. 20 points is a decent margin of victory I guess but it's more than it seems if you were watching. Thats basically one penalty and one D. Not much in the grand scheme of a 20 stage match.

Most of the squad thought I had pulled it out but I couldn't relax until the scores posted at the range. That was a very long hour to wait.

A little full circle story I wanted to share.....Alan Kies is a good friend of mine that introduced me to the sport in the pacific northwest around 1998. As most of you know this sport is largely about the people involved and good friends you make along the way. We haven't seen each other much in the 11 years I've been in Florida but we talk on occasion. He called me a week before the nationals to say he was going to be there for the Open match, we were able to meet Tuesday night for a drink and catch up for an hour or so. It was nice to see an old friend. This is of importance because when he was introducing me to the sport, showing me around to the clubs, and meeting the people he was always talking about this kid named Travis Tomasie. He said Travis was a grandmaster and amazing shooter I had to see. So even though we were about the same age and I never got to know him while living out there he was always kind of a legend to me and the area. Fast forward 10 years and we're team mates on the champion US World Shoot team....2 more years and he's trying to chase me down on the last few stages of the US Limited Nationals. Amazing to think about for me!!!

I guess thats all for now, thanks for everyones support over the years. I'm not sure whats next, maybe I'll retire undefeated and take up golf!

Good luck to all our boys and girls competing in Greece, kick ass!......wish I was there.

Smitty

This post is an example of why so many of us "regular people" are happy that you won this year!!! I don't know of any of the other Supers that would take the time to put this on this forum. I was so proud of you! I never was able to tell you that in person as you had media hanging all over you during the award ceremony.... haha.

And the story about what Manny did on Stage 1?!! That is nuts!!! I thought I had a good run and I was in the 13's on that stage. Man, I suck.

Awesome victory Smitty!

Thanks folks. I appreciate the thanks and it means a lot coming from my Enos family especially Brian. Though we have never met I always admired his accomplishments in and service to the sport. I will have more posts and media on my website some time this week but wanted to post here first.

A word of caution....this is likely to be a long post. I have been a member here for many years, I haven't posted much in the last couple but I have learned a TON from the knowledge on this forum and am always willing to share.

I can't express what an honor it is to win this match. If my memory and research is correct there have only been 8 people to win the Limited Nationals. 5 of those have come in the past 6 years. What does that say about the level of competition in Limited? Although I love Open, Limited has always been my favorite largely because I think it always has the highest level of competition.

Quick match recap: I thought the stages were pretty good. Good mix of accuracy requirements and field courses. On many of the big stages they had enough no-shoots to make you think about trying to point shoot them. I shot decent the first day and was just happy to get through penalty free. The second day we had a lot of stages and I felt like I really shot well. Once the results posted that night the pucker factor really began to set in. There are some that may say they don't feel the pressure but I find that a little hard to believe. Leading the Nationals going into the last day is probably the most pressure/nerves I've ever felt.

So we start the last day with me in the lead and Manny 3 points back...that obviously is nothing. Travis, Ted, Nils were all not too far back. The first stage of the last day (stage 1 if you were there) had a foot activator a little bit out of the way. Manny is second up on the first stage of the last day of the Nationals knowing he is one Charlie out of the lead and he decides to throw a spare mag left handed on the start signal at the foot activator so he can blow through the position. It effin works perfectly and he goes 10 something seconds. You can't imagine what kind of balls it takes to try some shit like that in that position. So I thought "well this is what I'm going to have to deal with all day". That's pretty much how it was, Travis, Manny, BJ, Ted all gunning for the lead... I figured there wasn't a whole hell of a lot I could do about it so just go out and attack the stages. No shame in getting beat by any of these guys but I didn't want to take myself out. So as cliche as it is I decided to just shoot my game as best as I could and what happens happens. A lot of the guys were making mistakes trying to catch up and I guess that is pretty much how it goes. 20 points is a decent margin of victory I guess but it's more than it seems if you were watching. Thats basically one penalty and one D. Not much in the grand scheme of a 20 stage match.

Most of the squad thought I had pulled it out but I couldn't relax until the scores posted at the range. That was a very long hour to wait.

A little full circle story I wanted to share.....Alan Kies is a good friend of mine that introduced me to the sport in the pacific northwest around 1998. As most of you know this sport is largely about the people involved and good friends you make along the way. We haven't seen each other much in the 11 years I've been in Florida but we talk on occasion. He called me a week before the nationals to say he was going to be there for the Open match, we were able to meet Tuesday night for a drink and catch up for an hour or so. It was nice to see an old friend. This is of importance because when he was introducing me to the sport, showing me around to the clubs, and meeting the people he was always talking about this kid named Travis Tomasie. He said Travis was a grandmaster and amazing shooter I had to see. So even though we were about the same age and I never got to know him while living out there he was always kind of a legend to me and the area. Fast forward 10 years and we're team mates on the champion US World Shoot team....2 more years and he's trying to chase me down on the last few stages of the US Limited Nationals. Amazing to think about for me!!!

I guess thats all for now, thanks for everyones support over the years. I'm not sure whats next, maybe I'll retire undefeated and take up golf!

Good luck to all our boys and girls competing in Greece, kick ass!......wish I was there.

Smitty

And the story about what Manny did on Stage 1?!! That is nuts!!! I thought I had a good run and I was in the 13's on that stage. Man, I suck.

The first stage of the last day (stage 1 if you were there) had a foot activator a little bit out of the way. Manny is second up on the first stage of the last day of the Nationals knowing he is one Charlie out of the lead and he decides to throw a spare mag left handed on the start signal at the foot activator so he can blow through the position. It effin works perfectly and he goes 10 something seconds.

Please, someone tell me that they got video of that...

(And congrats to Smitty on an outstanding match!)

Shannon,

A BIG congrats on your win.

I had the good fortune of being able to shoot Florida Open with you in 2010 and was more than impressed with not only your skill, but also your willingness to share with the incompetent folks like myself.

The sport is lucky to have guys like you!

Seth

• 3 weeks later...

Manny is second up on the first stage of the last day of the Nationals knowing he is one Charlie out of the lead and he decides to throw a spare mag left handed on the start signal at the foot activator so he can blow through the position. It effin works perfectly and he goes 10 something seconds. You can't imagine what kind of balls it takes to try some shit like that in that position.

Wow.

Edited by ihatepickles