Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who builds a great EAA Tanfolio limited gun?

PistolPete

Just buy one and run it stock for a while.....the gun won't hold you back. You will need some Henning basepads and Grams spring/followers for a couple of mags,though.

You may want some Henning aluminum grips, extended firing pin, and trigger system later, but there isn't much else that the gun really needs. The slide is light enough already. I do like a thin front fiber optic sight on my Tanfos. Dawson and Henning make one...

Getting back into shooting and thinking of trying something different than a 2011. What options should I look at and what are the pros and cons vs. A 2011

My limited....but I did have some slide cuts done later, purely for cosmetic reasons...

limitedside1.jpg

A lighter hammer spring, an extended firing pin, and a bit of polishing under the notoriously poorly finished trigger bar underside can achieve good results. Mine's at 2 and 3/8 lb with just those mods. For a full-on awesome trigger, you could install an EGW hammer and sear along with Henning's tunable trigger system. I'm not having any issues with mine as it is, but may upgrade in the future. I'm getting 21 rnds in my mag with the Grams spring and followers, running old style 10mm mags, and loading at 1.185 in. OAL. Care must be taken in loading though, or the mags will not feed properly. I use an EGW undersize die and never had a problem and have recently started to push-through size my .40 brass for extra peace of mind. There are some new style Mec-Gar mags out, though, and I'm not sure exactly how they are stacking up in .40 and there are some threads about them in the forums.

The model is just called the .40 "Limited". Our options are fewer than what other countries can choose from when it comes to Tanfoglios.

The CZ Tactical Sport is also a great gun out of the box with lots of upgrades available.

That gun is awesome. How are the stock triggers? What model do I need to buy? How many rounds can you fit in your mags? I've always shot 2011's and mostly Brazos guns but want to try something different. Plus, I don't want to drop $5k again.

Edited by pivoproseem

How are the stock triggers on these guns? I think I'm going to order one in the next week or so. Just need to decide if I want to try something new or go back to a 2011. I'm really leaning towards the Tanfoglio though.

Out of the box they are decent. With $35 and 20 minutes of time you can make it pretty good, with about $100 and an hour you can make it about 3#, and with ~$150 and a couple hours you should be able to get a very crisp sub 3# trigger.

Or let the gun sit a gun store display shelf for about 6 months, and then the trigger becomes equivalent to something between the $35 and 20 minutes. :lol: My Match .45 was very very good when I rescued it from the gun shop's display shelf. It get even better putting in a lighter mainspring. Then it was awesome when I spent a little more time polishing the the underside of the trigger bar and the top of the plunger.

You'll want to talk to Henning about the new Mecgar mags and best load length for proper function. I've always run the 10MM mags with ammot loaded to 1.20" and they have been tempermental to tune but the new mags should cure that.. As usual, mags are pricey but no more than a 2011 platform.

I've had ZERO problems with my mags, either stock or with the Grams springs and followers, that wasn't due to my own reloading mistakes. 100% reliability as far as parts go. I'm about to refinish my slide for kicks...will post pics later this week.

You'll want to talk to Henning about the new Mecgar mags and best load length for proper function. I've always run the 10MM mags with ammot loaded to 1.20" and they have been tempermental to tune but the new mags should cure that.. As usual, mags are pricey but no more than a 2011 platform.

Pete, if you want to try one, I'll bring one of mine up, I should be at Harvard this coming month.

I have found that the stock sear does not last, get a Henning prepped sear and front sight and the gun is good to go.

Let me know when you're coming down. I would def. like to give it a shot. How are you liking it? Looking to get back into shooting but not break the bank. I have a Production setup but not sure I want to shoot production. Would rather shoot limited so I'm thinking of the Tanfo.

Pete

Pricey?? $25 for a mag tube is the cheapest mags I've seen besides the MecGar CZ ones. Aren't STI tubes $60+ ?

Let me know when you're coming down. I would def. like to give it a shot. How are you liking it? Looking to get back into shooting but not break the bank. I have a Production setup but not sure I want to shoot production. Would rather shoot limited so I'm thinking of the Tanfo.

Pete

They are very comfortable guns to shoot. Not a huge fan of the hinged trigger compared to a 1911s, but once the buzzer goes off, I don't notice it at all.

I'm using older mags, but the new mags seem to solve the loading issues. But even with mine, I just use a U-die, load to 1.18 and make sure the mag lips are in spec. The only time it had issues was when the sear worn out or when I ran a 13 lb mainspring and got light strike.

The rear sight is not very strong, it will break the pin, but you can drill it out and use the drill bit as a replacement pin. In the pic, my rear sight pin is being held in by tape because it was sliding out. I later cut a drill bit slightly shorter and peened the sight to hold it in

Initially I thought the trigger guard was to deep, not allowing my support hand to get as high as I like, I felt I could get my hand up higher on a 1911. But it feel natural now and doesn't seem to be an issue

The support you will get from Henning is awesome,

post-4994-0-78915200-1317078765_thumb.jp

Pricey?? $25 for a mag tube is the cheapest mags I've seen besides the MecGar CZ ones. Aren't STI tubes $60+ ?

I was talking Henning Tuned mag sets (They are woth it)... Do it yourself and yes, you can save $$$....

Edited by NoSteel

I would just buy the Henning tuned mags. They are a LOT cheaper than tuned STI mags for sure. Great info Mike for sure. I'm sure getting use to the trigger will take a bit of time but I doubt it will be that bad.

Dave- you're prob. right and I'll just end up buying an open gun. HAHA However, if I'm going to be moving my business then money will surely be really tight so it prob. won't be in my near future.

• 7 months later...

Old thread, I know, but want to ask Supermoto where he found a blued/gunkote Limited with the slide cuts.

Is that the same as this pistol?

0_97xtij8ln2nfkako8t66.jpg

Yours looks like the gun that the Canadians have, but I didn't think it was available down here. I haven't seen them for sale online. If they are available, what's the going price?

My twins are my avatar ... Gunkote version with the slide lightening cuts. Odd that EAA won't or can't carry them down there for you guys.

To answer your question ...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140538&st=0&p=1579934&fromsearch=1entry1579934

Edited by spideysteve