Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unsafe Ammo?

scooterj

If it was me, I would check if they will chamber properly after going through the resizer once. If they seem to resize fine and chamber drop fine, I would probably use them for practice loads. It all depends on how comfortable you are with it.

Not really asking if I should reload it, I won't. If you were RO and one of these pieces landed in your shirt pocket, would you declare ammo unsafe? A couple pieces had holes burned in the side and they don't seem to have been reloaded many times. With the powder selection we have now, why would anyone use a bullet/powder combo that would do this?

Not really asking if I should reload it, I won't. If you were RO and one of these pieces landed in your shirt pocket, would you declare ammo unsafe? A couple pieces had holes burned in the side and they don't seem to have been reloaded many times. With the powder selection we have now, why would anyone use a bullet/powder combo that would do this?

Got 'cha but this is under the reloading section so that is what most of us assumed.

About unsafe ammo, No, it does not get declared just from looking at the brass (normally). It could in an extreme situation but not from these cases.

Nope. I've seen unsafe ammo declared when shooters have multiple squibs. I would ask the shooter what combo/OAL he was using and show him the cases. Based on his reply, offer some advice. Sooner or later he is going to get a case head separation.

I was shooting bowling pins earlier this year mano e mano against a shooter with a 38 Super. As he got to the third pin, the side of my face started burning and I felt like I'd taken a dose of bird shot in the left cheek. The sudden unexpected burning & stinging blew my concentration and forced me to stop shooting. I lost that match. Since it was a club match I didn't make an ass of myself by complaining, although the guys loads were unsafe in my mind since I got stung so bad and we were about 5 yards apart. I washed my face and found I had been hit by burning powder from the ejection port of the Super. After I got home that night, I found a fired Super case in my shirt pocket. That damn Super really pasted me. I think he needed to spring his gun a little heavier for that particular load.

I think we're seriously missing scooterj's point. The individual shooting these loads is a liability and should be taken to task. To speculate whether it's the ammo or the gun is irrelevant. It's the re-loader's/shooter's responsibility to check his ammo for signs of pressure. To shoot a match with this unsafe ammo/gun is reckless conduct. If this person had caused harm to himself or another, a lawsuit could result, shutting down your club even if you have liability waivers and insurance. It's enough that we have do anti-gun groups and politicians that don't appreciate our sport, we don't need careless shooters that are accidents waiting to happen.

And that's my two cents worth.......ajg

I think we're seriously missing scooterj's point. The individual shooting these loads is a liability and should be taken to task. To speculate whether it's the ammo or the gun is irrelevant. It's the re-loader's/shooter's responsibility to check his ammo for signs of pressure. To shoot a match with this unsafe ammo/gun is reckless conduct. If this person had caused harm to himself or another, a lawsuit could result, shutting down your club even if you have liability waivers and insurance. It's enough that we have do anti-gun groups and politicians that don't appreciate our sport, we don't need careless shooters that are accidents waiting to happen.

And that's my two cents worth.......ajg

You said it much better than I ever could have. Thanks :cheers:

I'm not sure what the criteria is for declaring ammo unsafe, but I wouldn't stand within 50 feet of that shooter.

There is no real "criteria" for unsafe ammo, it's what deemed unsafe by the RO. The one rule of thumb is if there are multiple squibs, then yes, that definitely is a safety hazard and has to be addressed. I'm still not convinced that this is unsafe by the pics and not being with the shooter, talking to them, verifying their ammo BEFORE it goes in the gun. Could be a gun issue, could be using a U-Die and the brass is getting shaved, could be a thousand things but I would not declare ammo unsafe only by one piece of evidence. The whole point of being an RO is to be fair, objective, and address rules in a uniform manner. Unless it is a clear cut rule violation, I would have to be there to be fair to everyone to "declare" ammo as being safe or unsafe.

Can't say for sure from photographs, but I think I'm seeing what I would call unsafe ammo. That kind of bulging is not acceptable when I'm shooting, and it is not reasonable to think I would want to RO anyone else shooting those loads.

Maybe they were shot out of a 38 super Glock :roflol:

I would talk to the guy for sure, and find an option that makes for less stressed brass.

Problem is, I'm not sure who belongs to this brass. The few folks that I have asked, don't know either.

I don't think it's a brass issue, but a gun issue. Brass won't do that in a normal pistol with the correct chamber sizing. Could be he was shooting it out of a pistol with a non supported barrel (old Colt 38 super), which can cause this, even with normal 38 super loads....