Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can not find a NIB M&PL 9mm

cam1

I am new to the forums and don't usually post much on any forums so please excuse me if my protocol is not up to par. I shoot IDPA and USPSA in Tampa Fl area and have been looking for a S&W M&PL 9mm for several months, but I haven't been able to locate one. Smith hasn't been much help. One shop in FL said S&W has a large contract overseas and is not selling them in the states. Does anyone have any suggestions on how or where to locate one NIB? Also, does anyone know why they are more expensive than the Pro?

Thanks,

Cam1

The 9L shouldn't cost more than the 9Pro. I've seen some dealers have them for only a few dollars less than the Pro, while some have them priced more in line with the 4.25 model.

For some reason or another S&W is behind the demand for the longslide versions of the M&P. Hold tight, Check Gunbroker, Forums, Etc. and eventually one will find its way to you.

I was just discussing this with a friend, they will probably show up in bunches in a month or two...just in time for Holiday Sales. Hopefully!

Edited by bhurte

Indeed, the 9L is discontinued. Too many people were buying them to upgrade with the Apex+aftermarket sights rather than springing for the pro version. I managed to snag one of the last ones I saw from an online source about 3 months ago (unfortunately I didn't really save any money as mine came with 2 10-round magazines which I had to replace with full-capacity - the 10-rounders have problems seating with the slide closed when loaded full).

I am still seeing one in the display case of a local dealer, but they want $560 for it which is about what you can get the Pro for.

Why not just buy the Pro?

Well, that's your primary option now, but when the 9L was still out it was about $75 cheaper than the Pro. Since most people in USPSA were still added their own sights and Apex kits even on the Pros (essentially, replacing the very parts that you just paid extra for), it was considered a better idea to just save the money and get the 9L.

Edited by MGMorden

Indeed, the 9L is discontinued. Too many people were buying them to upgrade with the Apex+aftermarket sights rather than springing for the pro version. I managed to snag one of the last ones I saw from an online source about 3 months ago (unfortunately I didn't really save any money as mine came with 2 10-round magazines which I had to replace with full-capacity - the 10-rounders have problems seating with the slide closed when loaded full).

I am still seeing one in the display case of a local dealer, but they want $560 for it which is about what you can get the Pro for.

Why not just buy the Pro?

Well, that's your primary option now, but when the 9L was still out it was about $75 cheaper than the Pro. Since most people in USPSA were still added their own sights and Apex kits even on the Pros (essentially, replacing the very parts that you just paid extra for), it was considered a better idea to just save the money and get the 9L.

Not that there's an option for the 9L now, but the Pro might be a better deal than the OP thinks. I bought the Pro because I couldn't get LE pricing on the 9L. (I wanted to save money by buying a 9L and changing the sights and doing a trigger job myself.)

While the Apex hard sear may be straight up better than the PRO sear, I've found with just a little bit of work my trigger is coming along nicely using the Pro sear. I've got the Apex competition spring kit ready to drop in, and already modified the striker block and sear. At this point don't see the need to buy the full Apex competition enhancement kit if you are trying to keep costs down. (I've handled an M&P with Apex parts before, but not side-by-side with mine. So I reserve the right to change my mind. :))

Just like everyone else, I do find the front sight on the Pro to be thicker than I like.

• 1 month later...

There was a slight trickle of new pistols into the market about 3 weeks ago, when I located mine. A few short days after it was being shipped to my FFL, I started to get a few more hits from places I had checked.

You might try contacting Cabela's around the country. That's where I found mine, and it hadn't been there very long (since it was "born" about 60 days before it arrived in my hands).

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a used one this morning from buds for $489. They had the nib 40l w/ ns for only $399, but when I logged in it must of gotten sold. I saw that just a few minutes ago that they had a 9 pro in stock.

Well Buds just called me this morning to tell me that the pistol got sold in store and that the website only updates every 20mins. So I'm just going to have to keep an eye out for one or just get the 4.25".