Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Glock Trigger Mod

Quick Draw McGraw

Recently purchased a Gen 3 G17 and really like the pistol. I've been pretty much a 1911, SIG, and CZ fan and always dissed the tupperware gun. Found that I really like the handling of the Glock & will be purchasing more. My question is about the trigger mods all over the internet. I plan to shoot it stock for a while and may even leave it with the stock trigger. Have seen the 25 cent trigger job and was wondering would shooting over time not smooth out these parts just as well as polishing them? Seems like there are a lot of trigger kits, parts etc. and was wondering what people had done to improve their trigger, whether they like it or not, and would they do it again. Have checked out trigger kits on Glockpro, Lone Wolf, etc. and the array of choice is somewhat overwhelming.

Shoot it for a while first. At first I left mine stock, then did a little polish job and spring kit. I thought I was done, but then I shot a Glock with a Vanek trigger. Wow! I had always spouted off about how I would never spend $175.00 for a Glock trigger. I spent it and I am happy I did.

About 10K rounds is close to a polish job, but still not as smooth. Simple start is the get the LoneWolf kit: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156085&CAT=163

For Production, about all you need. For another $20, you can get a Titanium safety pluger and spring which helps a bit. None of those parts will reduce reliabilty.

You can shave about a half a pound by getting a lightened striker and striker spring, but you also move away from the best in reliability. After that, it comes down to modifying the trigger bar and reducing take-up. For most people, the frustration is worth just buying a kit. The Vanek is very good.

Going from a stock firing pin spring to the Wolff "Competition" firing pin spring will take about a pound off your trigger pulls right there. After that, polishing will take only about another quarter pound off, in my experience, but what it will do is get rid of all the grit in the trigger action.

Personally I've recently gone back to the stock firing pin spring in all my Glocks. Had one misfire with my factory defense ammo - which happens to be loaded with Winchester primers, and a lightened firing pin spring. I still do run a factory Glock 4.5 pounde connector and my own polish job, though.

I have tried several different DIY glock trigger jobs with varying degrees of success. Recently tried 3 triggers from Jeff Wilson at glocktriggers.com and am extremely happy with them.

I would strongly recommend the "Vogel Challenger" model for production/ssp and the "Edge" for limited/esp. The Edge is really impressive with 90% of pre travel removed and adjustable reset.

I run a completely stock trigger, aside from a polish, on my g34. After many rounds and lots of dryfire, I prefer it to any other trigger. I tried the classic grandmaster vanek, and I just couldn't tell when the trigger was going to break. Same with the ghost rocket connector. I suppose with some time on either, I could've adapted, though. I'd say leave it stock, maybe install the 4.5# connector and polish everything, and shoot it.

Concerning different connectors, my advice is just buy one of each $8,10,15 bucks), test them and see which you like, most of us have a collection, just like holsters. Hint, label each one and keep in its own bag as over time you will switch them out and forget which is which.

Connectors have different "ramp" slopes, heights, and positioning front to back giving a different trigger feel such as more or less take-up or over travel, some slightly heavier trigger pull some with less. I find that the ones with less trigger pull take more practice in prepping the trigger in that the striker release is in the middle of a constant pull weight vice lower pull than a step up just before release.

Currently I shoot a G34 with stock parts and a polish job.

When I just shot pistol matches I went for the springs, connectors, and such.

Now that 3 GUN is my focus I am more concerned about reliability in harsher conditions.

I had a few light strikes (even with FED primers) which may have been due to a dirty gun with the reduced power striker spring.

So looking for max reliability I went back to stock parts. I would have no reservations about shooting 1000-2000 rounds between cleanings with the real purpose to inspect parts.

With 3 gun, there is more equipment to worry about so making the pistol trouble free is a plus.

Bottom line is as long as the trigger is consistent and not overly heavy with practice it won't matter.

David E.

I've installed an Edge trigger kit. The one issue I had was the firing pin safety plunger activation. Reducing the pretravel puts the trigger bar bump right under the plunger. I spent a lot of time looking at all the safeties after I installed it. I can duplicate the entire kit myself but I was trying out the kit for research purposes. The drop safety was still intact with all of the pretravel reduced. The trigger safety was modified and thus still functional. My concern was the FP plunger. I assembled the slide, minus extractor, so I could watch the plunger movement throughout the trigger travel.

I ended up mofifying the trigger bar bump and FP plunger as well as increasing the pretravel a little to ensure the firing pin block safety was functional.

The production legal kit doesn't reduce pretravel and has none of the safety concerns described above.

You can experiment for years, or just buy Charlie Vanek's production trigger, which you ultimately will end up doing anyway. If you have the time and money, then experiment. Otherwise, just cut to the chase an buy a Vanek. Cheers and ciao.

-br

Shoot it for a while first. At first I left mine stock, then did a little polish job and spring kit. I thought I was done, but then I shot a Glock with a Vanek trigger. Wow! I had always spouted off about how I would never spend $175.00 for a Glock trigger. I spent it and I am happy I did.

I ordered a Vanek super trigger and am waiting for the Postman now.

I had the 6.0lb trigger spring and 3.5lb connector and that was a big improvment over stock.

Tryed my friends fulcrum trigger and i really liked it alot. Did some recon and found Vanek had some great reviews

so i ordered one and here i sit and wait. :yawn:

I ordered a Vanek super trigger and am waiting for the Postman now.

I had the 6.0lb trigger spring and 3.5lb connector and that was a big improvment over stock.

Tryed my friends fulcrum trigger and i really liked it alot. Did some recon and found Vanek had some great reviews

so i ordered one and here i sit and wait. :yawn:

Honestly, that is better than hacking up a trigger with a dremel. I did 2 trigger jobs on 2 G34s the other day. Guys really liked them. Even though I tried to show them what I did and explained why, it did not appear to sink in. I might also add, they did feel different, even though everything was done the same on each. A few tweaks and they were running like clockwork. After a few hundred, you kind of get the hang of it.

You can experiment for years, or just buy Charlie Vanek's production trigger, which you ultimately will end up doing anyway. If you have the time and money, then experiment. Otherwise, just cut to the chase an buy a Vanek. Cheers and ciao.

-br

+1, I bought his classic and was done. I would like to get the ultra striker though...

I use the Jager striker, LS safety plunger, Glockworx spring kit, Vanek Pre-Travel and Over-Travel stop, Glockworx 2LB Connector, and some polishing on the back of the trigger bar. Using a gunsmith stone on the back of the trigger would also help smooth it out with some polishing.