Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After market trigger

Danny M

I have been shooting IDPA and IPSC and want to move into three gun. I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 that I will be using for three gun and have put a DPMS muzzle brake on and am very happy with the results.

My question is would a after market drop in trigger like a Timmney or Chip McCormick make a real difference in the way the gun shoots vs. the cost of the trigger?

The stock trigger seems a little rough and about a 6 LB pull or so.

Do you really notice a difference in grouping?

I have been shooting IDPA and IPSC and want to move into three gun. I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 that I will be using for three gun and have put a DPMS muzzle brake on and am very happy with the results.

My question is would a after market drop in trigger like a Timmney or Chip McCormick make a real difference in the way the gun shoots vs. the cost of the trigger?

The stock trigger seems a little rough and about a 6 LB pull or so.

Do you really notice a difference in grouping?

A good trigger helps you quite a bit when you are shooting off hand at speed or from un conventional (un stable positions). Anyone can shoot good groups from the bench with a stock trigger. But try hitting a 2 moa target while leaning over/under/ or around some obstacle.

Pat

I had been using a stock DPMS carbine and other than optic the first thing I had added was a Miculek compensator. That was a great add one, next was the trigger. I was able to get a JP fire control kit for under $100 and what a difference. They usually are something like 125 so far less than the drop in. This kit replaces the trigger, disconnector and springs but not the hammer. I may try that latter but really don't see a need. I was amazed at the difference. Takes a little adjustment but there is a video. The thing that stops some people is the part in the instructions about using a belt sander if needed to adjust the disconnector. I did not have to do that, dropped in, adjusted the set screws and done.

I'm with Ken. JP is the way to go. It may be a few $$$s more but they are worth it. I like the EZ trigger kit. It takes about 10-15 minutes to install, but it let's you adjust reset, which is awesome. Short reset, clean break. JP, as mention above, is also a sponsor of just about every match I ever shot.

That is true, they are very involved with supporting us. I just looked and the Fire Control Kit is under $120 on the JP site. Compared to the cost of most other trigger set ups, that is great. And it is not just the adjustable trigger pull, the adjustable reset really lets you set it up the way you like. Plus you get (and can buy more) different power springs. The light one is the best but if you shoot a lot of "surplus" ammo with hard primers the other springs will help.

slight topic drift:

I have a stripped LR-308 lower I want to start using. I also have a JP fire-control kit on the bench.

Can I use the JP kit in the LR-308? Any issues with the speed hammer or the yellow springs with the larger caliber?

JP. Period. There are others out there that are also of quality, but NONE who do more for US, THE SHOOTERS, than JP. :closedeyes:

JP has a great feel but I prefer the Geisselle three gun trigger. I trust it more because I have had a JP I owned go out of adjustment in the past. Not a big deal just had to send it back to JP and it worked after that until I sold it. But Geisselle's have never let me down and I really like the feel of their three gun trigger.

pat

I can't really say if the trigger affects my grouping because I never had a stock trigger to begin with. My first AR has an AR Gold and my second AR has a Geissele S3G. I will say that I like the AR Gold way better than the Geissele and if I could do it over again, I would have sent it to JP to have them install one of their triggers with enhanced reliability.

Although I can't compare it to a factory trigger really, the AR Gold gives me a lot of confidence to get the most accuracy out of every shot.

For a single stage trigger, JP is the best bang for your buck

If a two stage trigger is your style

a rock river with JP springs is very sweet.

I do have a RRA trigger that has been great. I also had one that was not great. But, for the money, they are a decent trigger.

I have a Geisele SD3Gun . I will buy another (and another...) My splits went down instantly after the install (switched from the RRA NM 2 stage) It was like going from a stock glock trigger to a worked over single stack... I like the flat trigger. I love the short travel, quick reset, and overall feeling of the trigger.

The best advice is to go to a match, and ask around, and actually shoot the different triggers. Each person will have what they feel is the best, but you want what YOU feel is the best...

There are alot of choices in trigers and most are pretty good. What's the best for you? Only you can decide. Jp is an excellent value, and as has been mentioned, support our sport. Others do as well. My favorite is still the AR Gold. I use a Jp in my sons rifle. Pick one and shoot it. Most any of them will be a marked improvement to what you have now.

Edited by mpeltier

There are alot of choices in trigers and most are pretty good. What's the best for you? Only you can decide. Jp is an excellent value, and as has been mentioned, support our sport. Others do as well. My favorite is still the AR Gold. I use a Jp in my sons rifle. Pick one and shoot it. Most any of them will be a marked improvement to what you have now.

+1

Another vote for the Giessele S3G trigger. It takes a bit of gettin used to as it is a hybrid type pull, but i love it!!!!

I did pick up a CMC drop-in at the Pro-Am, so when I get a new lower, that will go in there and I'll have something else to compare to.

JP has always been the GOLD standard in aftermarket single stage triggers. But there are some great new comers to the market. I ran JP's back when I first started but have since found other triggers that I desire. The AR Gold and Giessele Super 3 Gun. but granted, I still have all my JP's because they are great triggers.

Reliability is always a more important factor to me and should always come before the way the trigger feels, but I won't know the reliability until I put several thousand rounds through my gun with the trigger I installed based on feel. The AR Gold and Giessele have both proven to be extremely reliable in my rifles. My competition gun has the S3G in it.

The AR Gold is fully adjustable and the Giessele is not. The Giessele S3G can be adjusted slightly by tweaking springs. I have mine at a nice 2# break. I've had my AR Gold down to 1.5# but the reset was weak. So I called Ronin and spoke with him. He sent me another return spring that gave the reset a much nicer feel but raised the trigger break to 2#.

The best way I can describe the two triggers is like this:

If you like a fine 1911 trigger. The AR Gold is the trigger for you.

If you like a tuned Glock trigger with a snappy reset, the Giessele S3G is more up your alley.

For those wondering, the phonetic spelling to understand proper pronunciation of Giessele - it is pronounced Guy-Zlee

If you get the chance to fire some of them do it. I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle here. All of the above are very nice and will serve you well, especially coming from the one you have. I have the JP in one of my ARs and it is very nice, but I prefer my RRA 2 stage over anything else Ive tried.

I have a couple JPs in my rifles and I think they work great. Like a lot of gun people, I just have to tinker with things, and can't leave well enough alone. I wanted to learn about AR triggers and so I ordered the AR trigger DVD from Brownells. I thought it was very informative and educational. I have done a couple of my own triggers and they came out pretty good. I'm not saying that everyone should whip out the file and stones...JP has already done a good job of it, but if you want to understand what's going on in there, check out the dvd. By the way, I had a JP modular that went south on me and JP did a fantastic job of standing behind their product and making it right. Don't worry about doing business with them!