Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are your thoughts on 3 Gun Nation?

People also need to (and want to) understand what theyre seeing, or should look for, (comments as shooters are shown navigating stages would be one thing that could be added) as things like flippers, shotgun no-shoots etc, steel in natural terrain might be really hard to see if you dont know what you're looking for. In some of the stages shown on tv it simply looks like the competitors burn half a mag into the bushes...

+1 on that. I'm a shooter and really have to pay attention when they give the COF run thru. A non-shooter isn't going to have a clue. A comparison to Top Shot is unfair though. TS gets to set up every event for max TV appeal. 3GN has to do it at an existing match.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I just wish they'd get the episodes online.

I miss it, good show, my son and I watched last season together.

It was really nice getting the episodes a week after they aired.

Not sure why they went backwards for the second season.

A comparison to Top Shot is unfair though. TS gets to set up every event for max TV appeal. 3GN has to do it at an existing match.

I'd say its more a question about money rather than being fair... What's stopping 3GN from building their own stages or even matches?

Is the current format with giving out points at a bunch of random matches the way to go if they want to grow the show as well as bring in new shooters and sponsors?

How about something like 10 (or 6, or 4, Im just throwing numbers out there) qualifying mini matches with 3-4 stages spread out around the country, all specifically built for good TV. Each match ends with a shoot-off where the top 4 or so go on to the finals in Vegas, or you get points and the guys with the most points at the end of the season goes to the final shoot-off.

Using just one division would also take away all the problems with the various scoring/grading systems used in the last couple of years, and since the matches are decoupled from the "regular" matches, people can still continue to shoot their favorite matches in their favorite division...

A "tour" like that would definitely have the potential of looking more professional as well as giving them the possibility of making really good TV. It would also disconnect 3GN from the "regular" matches, which might be a good (or a bad) thing. Having one day matches would also make it easier for people to get in and out in a weekend. It could still be set up over a weekend with side matches, vendor tents etc etc...

Edited by gose

A comparison to Top Shot is unfair though. TS gets to set up every event for max TV appeal. 3GN has to do it at an existing match.

I'd say its more a question about money rather than being fair... What's stopping 3GN from building their own stages or even matches?

Is the current format with giving out points at a bunch of random matches the way to go if they want to grow the show as well as bring in new shooters and sponsors?

How about something like 10 (or 6, or 4, Im just throwing numbers out there) qualifying mini matches with 3-4 stages spread out around the country, all specifically built for good TV. Each match ends with a shoot-off where the top 4 or so go on to the finals in Vegas, or you get points and the guys with the most points at the end of the season goes to the final shoot-off.

Using just one division would also take away all the problems with the various scoring/grading systems used in the last couple of years, and since the matches are decoupled from the "regular" matches, people can still continue to shoot their favorite matches in their favorite division...

A "tour" like that would definitely have the potential of looking more professional as well as giving them the possibility of making really good TV. It would also disconnect 3GN from the "regular" matches, which might be a good (or a bad) thing. Having one day matches would also make it easier for people to get in and out in a weekend. It could still be set up over a weekend with side matches, vendor tents etc etc...

This is a really great idea!!!

I liked this season's format. I liked the spotlight shooters and the fact that they didn't always pick the most recognized competitors. I thought the Junior spot light was great too, which pretty much lined her up for the Noveski and Benelli sponsorships. It's not often that any junior catches a major break like that. It will be inspirational to other juniors as well. I liked that the match was covered on one episode and shoot off on another. I didn't like the all shootoff format of season one. Shootoff's are cool, but I'm interested in learning about the different match flavors too. The only real criticism I have is that with an entire episode dedicated to the shootoff, you'd think they could give all of the shootoff guys a little exposure. There were more than a few hard working up and coming competitors who consistently outshot many of the top dogs to make the shootoff, only to find that they not only got no airtime, but weren't even mentioned. They worked hard and earned a few seconds in the spotlight. I'd rather see them, than interviews with the top dogs who almost made it to the shootoff.

Edited by co-exprs

LOL, guess I wasnt too far off :D

Did u get an email or something?

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Did u get an email or something?

Didn't you? Guess we know where you stand. JK

I got an email from the NWMG MD this morning that they will be a part of the 3 Gun Nation Tour. Pretty brief and I think it said more details will be on the 3GN site by Feb 10. That email was sent out to the registered competitors.

I got an email from the NWMG MD this morning that they will be a part of the 3 Gun Nation Tour. Pretty brief and I think it said more details will be on the 3GN site by Feb 10. That email was sent out to the registered competitors.

[/quote

Chuck just so you know,

The email info shows that: The NWMG Match will be part of the 3GN Divisional series presented by Hornady. The NWMG is not actually part of the "Pro Series".

I know you are a man of facts.

Patrick

Chuck just so you know,

The email info shows that: The NWMG Match will be part of the 3GN Divisional series presented by Hornady. The NWMG is not actually part of the "Pro Series".

Patrick

The Pro Tour is invitation only and the Divisional Series is open to all. Looks like the top 64 got email invitations to the Pro Tour today. Pro Tour is Tac Optics only and the Divisonal Series will cover the listed divisions.

From the email:

"3GN DIVISIONAL SERIES presented by Hornady

Registration as a 3GN Pro also allows you to compete in the 3GN Divisional Series, presented by Hornady. Similar to the 2011 season, Hornady will award $5,000 for the overall points winner of the following divisions: Open, Tactical Optics, Tactical Iron, Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal Optics. 3GN Divisional Points will be awarded at the following 3GN divisional matches: Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun, Rocky Mountain 3-Gun, CMMG Midwest 3-Gun, MGM Ironman, Leupold & Warne Northwest Multigun Challenge, Adams Arms Ozark 3-Gun, Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun."

Doug

Chuck just so you know,

Patrick

The Pro Tour is invitation only and the Divisional Series is open to all. Looks like the top 64 got email invitations to the Pro Tour today. Pro Tour is Tac Optics only and the Divisonal Series will cover the listed divisions.

From the email:

Registration as a 3GN Pro also allows you to compete in the 3GN Divisional Series, presented by Hornady. Similar to the 2011 season, Hornady will award $5,000 for the overall points winner of the following divisions: Open, Tactical Optics, Tactical Iron, Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal Optics. 3GN Divisional Points will be awarded at the following 3GN divisional matches: Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun, Rocky Mountain 3-Gun, CMMG Midwest 3-Gun, MGM Ironman, Leupold & Warne Northwest Multigun Challenge, Adams Arms Ozark 3-Gun, Blue Ridge Mountain 3-Gun."

Doug

Doug, you sure those invitations already went out?

Chuck just so you know,

Patrick

From the email:

Doug

I got mine, I was number 63 on the list. I assumed as far down as I was the better shooters already got theirs.

Chuck just so you know,

Patrick

From the email:

Doug

I got mine, I was number 63 on the list. I assumed as far down as I was the better shooters already got theirs.

They went out this morning.

I think the show is great. I would like to see a little more time on the gear of the top competitors. What they use, how they use it and why they like it. I love the tips and pointers part. The shows that spent a lot of time on heavy metal were ok but how many guys shoot it at the local level? Overall it is great for our sport and I really appreciate everything that goes into making it happen - thank you !!