Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 9mm Sight Options?

theycallmeingot

I've put 400 rounds through my new bitone XDM 5.25 in 9mm. i love the gun, but not so much the front sight. i'm completely new to fiber optic sights, but the front fiber optic seems a little large, and a little glaring, especially in low light. the front sight itself is also a little wider than what i prefer. i have no problems with the rear sight. what sights are you guys using? any recommendations on a narrow front sight? i don't know how narrow the stock one is, or how narrow i would like it to be... just narrower than it currently is.

any help appreciated. i'm new to shooting games, and ignorant when it comes to sights/optics.

Not sure how wide the stock one is. I know dawson, springer, and canyon creek are selling the .100 width that guys are using for competition. Might not be a bad idea to call them, tell them what you want and they will be able to help you out.

I'm fairly new to competition, but I found the stock fiber optic to be a bit too attention getting. I applied a little Super Black Touch-Up Pen paint to the shooter end of the fiber and it isn't as consuming now.

Edited by RobertAZ

Dawson, I use a .125 for IDPA and .100 for USPSA.

Why do you prefer to use the two different widths?

-1 in IDPA is a .5 second penalty and the wider sight allows for less wiggle room. In USPSA, I can have a little more slop in the sight picture and it won't hurt my scores as much.

thanks for the replies. i ordered a dawson .100x .225 sight. works like a charm. drove it in place and it was sighted exactly where the factory sight was. i find the thinner blade to be much more accurate for me, but perhaps a little slower. or, should i say... easier to go too quickly and break a shot just because i saw the glowing FO, even though the sights weren't lined up. will take better practice to break that bad habit.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Cullen.

Does the .125 wide sight use the same .040 fiber?

I am thinking hard about an XDm 5.25 for Action Pistol production. I would prefer to buy only one Dawson front sight when I get the pistol.

- John

Yes, they are just wider, the fiber is the same.

Where did you get that info? The TFO's we just got in from TruGlo are the same as they have always been. The tritium tube dictates the need to be wide enough (Dawson can fit it in a .125 wide sight) to have the tube fit it in. Also it is "extra" long so the fiber fits in it and reduces the sight radius quite a bit.

They don't work on the 5.25's either.

Edited by Loves2Shoot