Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A terrific bit of advice from Rob

Standby!

You have to jerk the trigger on every shot at about the 5.18 point. Your thoughts?sight.gif

Keith

It's impossible not to at that speed....at least he's not selling snake oil, and trying to convince anyone otherwise, he's telling it like it is.

He did say that you have to learn to jerk the trigger without disturbing the sight picture. Shooting at those split times leaves no time for

preparation.

cheers.gif

You have to jerk the trigger on every shot at about the 5.18 point. Your thoughts?

Keith

I'd wager TGO's jerk and my jerk don't have a lot in common.

Interesting point though, if a top level shooter with millions of rounds downrange says something is true, is it? Is it possible for a lower level shooter to accept TGO's advice and start jerking the trigger successfully, or does that shooter need to work through these issues themselves and end up with the same conclusion before the lesson can be correctly learned?

:sight:

Mark Hanish once said he and Robbie were the last of the trigger slappers. Perhaps Rob's definition of jerking is the fast application of 1) initiating the trigger movement backward and 2) getting his finger off the trigger as fast as he can so he can repeat #1.

What I gaderd from the video was "jerking" is the same as timing the gun (Burket terms :P) or post ignition push vs pre ignition push...

The idea that as soon as you break the shot you will pull the gun back on target vs letting it recoil...

While I've heard that he is a trigger slappers I'm not sure that this is what he was referring too..

Then agein maybe he will be so nice as to clarify for us :)

Edited by carlosa

Whether you are a slapper or not, I am, you are not pulling the trigger with a smooth controlled surprise break or anything like that when shooting at that speed, I'll play with it after the Nationals but I'd bet anything under a .5 split would be a "jerk"

I think why people are having trouble understanding this is that we associate jerk with pulling a shot off the point of aim, where Rob is pointing out that jerk is just the motion the finger on the trigger. Properly done the sights will stay in the acceptable wobble zone on the target....and thats a key thing too, you only need to do what's required to hit the available scoring zone. If you can accomplish that with a jerk....

This is also why you need to spend time working on how to pull a trigger without disturbing the sight picture, group shooting, bench shooting and dryfire. I've been guilty in the past of having all my dryfire session time spent on doing reloads, draws and transitions but not working on my trigger/sights and dryfire both precision groups and seeing what trigger slaps do and how not to disturb the sights when slapping.

I tried his techniques today.

My comfort zone is 5 shots, nice group in 3 seconds. 8 shots is not in the comfort zone and I went over 3 seconds. The groups were about the same.

I did his drills several times; I was really noticing the front sight come back into the groove. Simply amazing to see it settle in.

Also did the second drill strong hand. First couple of shots were left of "point of aim." After a mag or two the start to really center in the same POA.

I also ran the drill on a 25yd small popper. 3 shots were about all I could do. Better than average consistency.

Thanks for posting the Video.

You have to jerk the trigger on every shot at about the 5.18 point. Your thoughts?

Keith

I'd wager TGO's jerk and my jerk don't have a lot in common.

Interesting point though, if a top level shooter with millions of rounds downrange says something is true, is it? Is it possible for a lower level shooter to accept TGO's advice and start jerking the trigger successfully, or does that shooter need to work through these issues themselves and end up with the same conclusion before the lesson can be correctly learned?

:sight:

It would be less expensive to take his adive and run with it..:roflol:

One of my favorite parts is the discussion of focal distance...and sight picture...from what I understand, the focal distance either at the target, or the gun, is optional.

How about give each tgt what it deserves, a close tgt does not require the same type of focus as a far or tight shot does.

One of my favorite parts is the discussion of focal distance...and sight picture...from what I understand, the focal distance either at the target, or the gun, is optional.

How about give each tgt what it deserves, a close tgt does not require the same type of focus as a far or tight shot does.

7 Yds and under get target focus from me..;) It seems the peripheral vision is adequate at shorter distances.

7 Yds and under get target focus from me..;) It seems the peripheral vision is adequate at shorter distances.

If you are able to still shoot 100% A's on 7 yard targets that are not full targets, but partials then I would agree with you, but I doubt that you can do it with 100% success. Think about it from a different angle. Does it take any more time to see your sights and call your shots on 7 yard targets? The answer is "NO". So why would you choose to not look at your sights and "Hope" hits onto the close targets? The vast majority of the time shooters give away a lot of points on the close targets because they don't give them the respect they deserve. This game is won by collecting as many points as possible quickly. So why would you intentionally give away ANY C's or D's on any target by not using your sights much less one that is close and very easy to get two A's on?

Edited by Duane Thomas

Standby> I would hope that you could "See Everything" any time you are shooting at a target regardless of the distance. The point I am trying to make is whats more important to focus on. If you have a hard target focus while engaging close targets your hit quality will be worse than keeping a diligent sight focus instead. Looking at the targets while engaging them also breeds the bad habit of looking for holes while shooting to confirm your hits. If you always keep a sight focus you can call your shots 100% of the time and know that they are good as they break without even needing to look for holes in the target. Calling your shots as they break also allows you to transition off the target as soon as the shot is called good which saves a boat load of time verses looking at the targets for hits before moving on.

To confirm this do this simple drill. Setup 4 targets at 7 yards and shoot them with a target focus. Then take note of the hit quality and overall spread of your hits. Then shoot the same thing again using a sight focus. I think that you will be surprised to find that your sight focus run will probably be a little faster and more importantly have way better and closer together hits on target. Now add no shoots to every other target to make some tight shots and do the same drill with both target and sight focus. The results of these partial target runs will show you the real benefit of keeping a sight focus.

Its easy to get lulled into looking at targets while engaging them especially when they are close. But in the end you will find that it almost always results in worse hit quality than simply keeping a sight focus.

I wonder if it was difficult for someone at his level to demonstrate hosing shots all over the place? Since he's obviously spent so much time eliminating it. I would have thought that muscle memory, or subconscious would have overridden his attempt? Just thinking out loud.