Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 3 Episode 5

There was a brief moment toward the end of the Hotchkiss challenge, where they showed Mike Hughes cleaning the bore -- and it was beautiful to watch. He ran the wet swab through the bore, withdrew it, as it exited the breech he spun it in his hand, draped the rag/cloth over the other end with his other hand, and ran the patch through the bore.

Yes, I'd still like a thesis on why some of the top USPSA shooters screw up on pistol challenges every now and then, but it's always enjoyable to watch their preparation and economy of motion.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, the important thing is that one of our own, Cliff Walsh, is making it through the "crap we have to think up some other weird challenge" phase of the competition. I wasn't expecting rocks since I can think of a few different ideas that are at least marginally more advanced (boomerangs, atlatls, bolas, throwing spikes, shuriken, etc.) but it turned out the way I wanted. Cliff uber alles, y'all.

Matt

Next week is an AR type rifle. Where do I put the moonclip??

When I saw you grabbing handfulls of rocks to throw at the cans I was wondering if you picked up more than 6 at a time.

I think I did. I guess i should have been bumped to open.

Cliff, were there any rules specifically prohibiting throwing 5 or 6 at a time to "shotgun" the can and get a higher hit probability? That's what I thought you were going to do when you grabbed 6. I can't believe I'm gaming rock throwing!

Yes. Listen to Garret's interview on GunNuts: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gunnuts/2011/09/08/gun-nuts-radio-top-shot-interviews

Cliff, were there any rules specifically prohibiting throwing 5 or 6 at a time to "shotgun" the can and get a higher hit probability? That's what I thought you were going to do when you grabbed 6. I can't believe I'm gaming rock throwing!

Not allowed. They were good about spelling out the rules so there was no advantage to be gained.

Complete garbage episode. If it were any worse it would be an episode of Sons of Guns.

Olay!!! Couldn't agree more, episode only. Nicely done Cliff.

Edited by lora

I didn't think I would like that episode going in but, I really enjoyed it. Maybe we can work a rock throwing stage in at the next 3-gun match I go to. Scratch that, make it a 3-rocks match.

Well, then you'll have the crybabies who say "the rocks are not all uniform, so I got screwed with all the funny shaped ones" :roflol:

I kind of like the knife throwing type stuff since it tends to separate the great shooters with natural hand-eye coordination from the one-trick ponies who can just pull a trigger and crash outside of their comfort zone.

Next season I want to see a cast net challenge. First one to fill up the bait-well wins! Or maybe a lure casting contest... Who can skip a Senko under a dock and land it right next to the rear piling? Bass Pro Shops would love it :roflol:

Edited by Griz

I've not seen slings, darts, or spears yet. They were also used as ancient projectile weapons.

A trebuchet maybe an interesting team challenge. Something along the lines like the pumpkin chunking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMqYl7cFDJs

I don't know if toy makers would like to have this game as a team challenge on Top Shot or not:

Ladder-Golf-FT-106-.jpg

I think that it is funny that it is assumed that Top Shot should not include projectiles that are not firearm or bow related. All firearms are basically comes down to a method of hurling a projectile with a powder charge. Therefore anything that can be "launched" in order to hit a target would be a viable challenge for Top Shot.

The challenge is to find/create challenges that don't simply play to the strengths of the competitors. I would find it interesting to see javelins hurled by an atlatl, bolos, or even "killer sticks" (non-returning boomerangs used to take down large game such as kangaroos).

Would it have been better if the competitors had to throw "dummy" grenades to see who could get closer to a specified point downrange?

Since we have morphed to dreaming up good skill tests I think the following would be pretty good.

M203- with practice rounds of course. With enough practice you can lob one into a barrel at a few hundred yards.

Dillon Aero- At night.

Potato cannon.

Sporting clays, skeet, trap.

Shooting from a ferris wheel.

Shooting remote controlled airplanes.

Precision air rifle.