Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PPC shooter

Beladran

I'd love to shoot PPC. With a revolver. I thought there were no local matches, until I discovered a local police league. I called. Yes, non-LEO can shoot, but...no revolvers allowed! Even non-LEO "guests". No exceptions. "It's LEO firearms training, you see, and LEOs don't use revolvers. And guests are just that."

Sigh...

Tom

Why won't the NRA form a non-LEO division. CPC or something of the like.. use the same rules just change the word Police out of the title..

they still shoot it Oklahoma with revo's, our state match is the first part of August.. way too hot to enjoy.

We allow non-LE to shoot in our club, they just can't get a classification. We put them in an "Open" class, and they can use just about any handgun they'd like, and they can use dots/ports if they want.

The NRA's definition of law enforcement is pretty liberal, as well. It includes military police, corrections, probation, peace officers, etc. And they definitely allow retired guys, we wouldn't have a club if they didn't!

As someone else said, start your own. Can be done on a wide flat range. Pinetucky's pistol range has turning targets and a PA. Neither is required. Range officer with a whistle and stop watch works pretty well. We allow any handgun including rimfires, don't require drawing from a holster for the rimfire. Course of fire can be any length you want. Typical is 36, 48, and 60. Long match is 150.

Paul

I was fortunate to find a couple PPC matches that allowed civilians to shoot. They shoot 1200's , stock serivce auto/revolver and snubby. Third match of the year is 3 gun service auto/revolver/snubby, 48 rounds each,

25 yard max.

I can't think of a better way for someone to get started in the shooting sports. Allowing .22's would be even more

inviting for newbies. Too bad the NRA is non receptive. The World 1500 PPC uses

targets without heads if that is the NRA's big issue, it could be easily solved.

Edited by Trader

Really is to bad that the NRA hasn't recognized the almost non existent legitiment PPC competitors and matches. Key word legitiment, L.E. training extension for active Law Enforcement? Just how many Law Enforcement Agencies are issuing or officers using Revolvers. Since I haven't looked at the rules for a long time, do they allow auto now? Is this a competitive discipline or what. I like hearing the initiative of your clubs to start a civilian branch but this just screams for a review of the rules of competition by the organization. Maybe the NRA gets some financial benefit from the training extension, but who whould know since the NRA is on their butt in this discipline and doesn't seem to want this discipline to flourish again, as demonstrated by their lack comunication. Hey NRA, listen to the competitive revolver shooters out here looking to share the PPC experience with legitimate inclusion. Maybe my fellow L.E. officers might learn something from the civilian side being included. The NRA could do much better in their cometitive side of the organization.

Ok, I did find on the NRA web site and found that to be eligible, you must be a full-time law enforcement officer, yes, there's broad agency definition, MP, Corrections, etc. but still "full-time officer" stands out clearly. Also auto's are included in seperate divisions. So there it is. Wish they would open up retirees, at least.

Used to shoot a lot of PPC and it still has a strong and growing following in Europe, where you dont have to be LE to shoot. I know that a bunch of them would love to come here and compete, if they were allowed, and I'm sure there are quite a few non-LE US shooters that would enjoy shooting PPC as well.

However, NRA has decided that it's better to keep it LE-only and slowly let it die, rather than to allow civilians to compete and maybe even make the sport grow...

Edited by gose

Used to shoot a lot of PPC and it still has a strong and growing following in Europe, where you dont have to be LE to shoot. I know that a bunch of them would love to come here and compete, if they were allowed, and I'm sure there are quite a few non-LE US shooters that would enjoy shooting PPC as well.

However, NRA has decided that it's better to keep it LE-only and slowly let it die, rather than to allow civilians to compete and maybe even make the sport grow...

Canada has more civilians shooting PPC than LE. It would die otherwise.

I think the demise in Canada started around 1996.

We just had our State PPC match today(civilian version). Law Enforcement people are welcome too.

There were lots of trophies and cash, a big prize table (everyone went to the prize table 4 or 5 times), a regular and open class match and a barbequed brisket lunch with all the barbeque sides. A great time was had by all! :cheers: This was all with 16 shooters. We keep all entry fees over and above expenses through the year to put on the State Championship with.

Edited by Toolguy