Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Distance to local match

Where I live there are 3 uspsa ranges: 1) Memphis - 1.5hr, 2) Jackson, MS - 3hr and 3) CRSSA - Glen, MS 68 miles. We have an IDPA range that we can shoot only we match is scheduled and no clouds. I am seriously thinking about tryig to fill this hole and establish a small but quality range where you can shoot. This would include 4-5 bays, long range rifle and rimfire range, and pistol only practice area with plate rack. Maybe just a dream but really wanted to know how far traveled. Thanks for all your responses. We need more exposure anyway.

I think it starts with overall condition of the range. Does it flood and or get muddy real easy, etc. Will it be a clean and safe feeling environment? Besides having a nice and well organized match, the overall condition of the range and nice environment keeps me coming back. I regularly go to three different club matches, and all are about 1 1/2 hours away. I'm willing to go that far because they are all safe, well organized matches, in overall nice environments.

Chris

• 1 month later...

every weekend there is a match within 50 miles from my home.

Good deal...can't beat that, unless there is a club in your back yard B)

Guess I can beat that. East Alabama Gun Club....1 minute away with matches 3 weekends a month. Oh, and the Alabama Sectional. :DB)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that dedicated competition shooters usually put their desire to shoot a any particular match in the following order….

(1) Overall Quality of match – Stage Quality, How well/efficiently the match is run, Quick posting of results, etc.

(2) Competition level – How many good shooters are going to be attending the match.

(3) Weather Resistance of the Range location – Is the range prone to funky weather conditions that make life miserable. Such as excessive wind/dust or horrible muddy conditions when it rains.

(4) Distance – How far is it to travel to the range.

I agree, I have passed on matches 20 minutes from me to go to a local match 4 hrs away (making a 500 mile round trip) because I knew the people at the match would make it worth going to

2 miles from Paul Bunyan (Home Range). 45 min from Renton. I try to shoot those matches monthly. I occasionally (every 3 or 4 months) shoot Kitsap and Marysville which are about about an hour away. I can shoot 6-8 USPSA matches a month an hour or less from the house May-September. Gotta love NW Section Area 1... minus the rain.

• 1 month later...

in atlanta i have 4 weekly uspsa, 3 weekly idpa matches within 1 hour, and 3 outdoor uspsa, 2 idpa outdoor matches within 1 hour. then, add two steel challenge matches, 2 more uspsa, and 1 idpa outdoor match just over an hour away.

Ain't we lucky?!

:cheers:

in atlanta i have 4 weekly uspsa, 3 weekly idpa matches within 1 hour, and 3 outdoor uspsa, 2 idpa outdoor matches within 1 hour. then, add two steel challenge matches, 2 more uspsa, and 1 idpa outdoor match just over an hour away.

Ain't we lucky?!

i think we're one of the better places to be in this type of shooting sport of the country along with AZ and SoCal. :cheers:

now if we could just get a regular shotgun or tactical rifle match... :devil:

Ain't we lucky?!

i think we're one of the better places to be in this type of shooting sport of the country along with AZ and SoCal. :cheers:

Yeah, from what I've read PHX seems to be the End-all-to-be-all for this stuff. But the only time I've been there since I was 5 years old was 4 years ago visiting a customer, and it hit a record-high for that particular date -- 116 degrees. I was silly enough to be wearing a suit and tie and carrying 282 pounds (thankfully I've slimmed way down to 269 since then).

But it was a dry heat....

Ain't we lucky?!

Yeah, from what I've read PHX seems to be the End-all-to-be-all for this stuff. But the only time I've been there since I was 5 years old was 4 years ago visiting a customer, and it hit a record-high for that particular date -- 116 degrees. I was silly enough to be wearing a suit and tie and carrying 282 pounds (thankfully I've slimmed way down to 269 since then).

But it was a dry heat....

Mark,

Next time I'm in GA I won't recognize you now that you're just a slip of the "full sized" man you were. You will still recognize me as I'll still be the "ol fat man with little to no hair" Hope to get back down there this year some.

Hope you don't waste away to nothing before I get there!

Edited by pvhendrix

2 miles from Paul Bunyan (Home Range). 45 min from Renton. I try to shoot those matches monthly. I occasionally (every 3 or 4 months) shoot Kitsap and Marysville which are about about an hour away. I can shoot 6-8 USPSA matches a month an hour or less from the house May-September. Gotta love NW Section Area 1... minus the rain.

Loved it up there. I was in Ferndale, so I had Custer and Marysville to shoot within a decent drive. Miss that. Now, here in Wheeling, moy closest match is at least 1 hour away.