Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR on a Budget

Iggy42

Well heres another option along the same lines. A Palmetto State Armory 20" 5.56 NATO FN Upper minus the BCG comes to $349. Then he could select the BCG, rear sight and an inexpensive free float rail/handguard of his choice. http://palmettostatearmory.com/2411.php

Those are nice uppers. The only concern I have with military barrels is that you roll the dice on whether their fast 1:7 twist is going to shoot 55 grain loads accurately. Usually I try to stick with 1:8 or 1:9.

Friends do not let friends buy anything from Model 1 Sales.

Thanks for your glib response. I would not recommend buying the critical internals (bolt, FCG etc.) from Model 1, but in my experience they do an OK job on basic upper assemblies. If you disagree, perhaps you would be so kind as to offer a constructive suggestion for where this gentleman can buy a custom-configured, 3-gun optimized upper at a budget price ? This was his question, and I am trying to help the man.

Palmetto also offers a complete upper with a .223 Wylde chamber, 1:8 twist, and a MI SS12 forearm. But it is only a 16" long ss barrel w/ mid-length gas system. $529.99

Thanks for your glib response. I would not recommend buying the critical internals (bolt, FCG etc.) from Model 1, but in my experience they do an OK job on basic upper assemblies. If you disagree, perhaps you would be so kind as to offer a constructive suggestion for where this gentleman can buy a custom-configured, 3-gun optimized upper at a budget price ? This was his question, and I am trying to help the man.

Exactly how I built my first AR and it was a sub MOA gun. Bought a JP BCG, modified my own buffer and used a CMC trigger which dropped into a Bushmaster lower. Very budget, but worked great. It went on to start another in 3 gun a few years after I had learned the basics.

I think jumping in and playing is far more important than having the best equipment. I'd rather spend money on a ok gun and ammo instead of sitting on the sidelines saving up for what some folks think is acceptable. My first rifle was a 16" bushmaster. After doing well on a local level and getting a taste for bigger matches, I upgraded and continue to upgrade my rifles. I wholeheartedly recommend Firebird rifles and have no problem telling people how good JP's stuff is. But if the choice is no shooting and waiting for a great rifle or shooting an ok rifle, I'm gaining with the ok rifle.

This was the very same upper that I personally saw consistently finish in the top 10 at Rio Salado local matches, so maybe there is something to what StealthyBalgga has to say...

Mick

Friends do not let friends buy anything from Model 1 Sales.

Edited by MickB

A good friend who I shoot with got a Model 1 upper. He waited MONTHS for it. It shoots fine.

I would personally go with J&T Distributing for good prices/quality AND good service. My J&T chrome lined A1 upper eats has been excellent.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

Well heres another option along the same lines. A Palmetto State Armory 20" 5.56 NATO FN Upper minus the BCG comes to $349. Then he could select the BCG, rear sight and an inexpensive free float rail/handguard of his choice. http://palmettostatearmory.com/2411.php

Just a heads up if this one is being considered it just went on sale for labor day weekend for $319 with out BCG...

Ok another person new to sport and needing inexpensive build only I need left handed upper. Is it possible to build for around $600 or $650. I had back surgery so no income for a while and not sure how long it will b. Just don't have a bunch of $'s now

Ok another person new to sport and needing inexpensive build only I need left handed upper. Is it possible to build for around $600 or $650. I had back surgery so no income for a while and not sure how long it will b. Just don't have a bunch of $'s now

Stag Arms makes lefty versions.

I have had good luck with the double star kits. Comes with everything but the stripped lower. The upper requires some special tools to assemble if you piece it together. The lower is simple to assemble with common tools. Just watch putting the rear trigger guard in so you dont snap an ear off. You MUST support the back side or use a vice grip or c clamp to tighten the pin in

• 4 weeks later...

Yes but won't stag take me well over budget?

Stag prices are pretty reasonable.

Also, Stag offers a life time warranty on their rifles. I called them to ask if their warranty included the barrel; their response was that they would replace the barrel for free once my groups opened up to 2 inches at 100 yards.

I own a model 8 & love it. Slightly over your budget (list price is $1,145), but it is a piston rifle and comes with flip up sights.

I have seen the Stag lefty models for right around $800, not a bad start if that is the way you want/ need to go. Hard to believe after the prices a few years ago that any AR would be 800, much less a true left handed AR!

Thanks for input from everyone and I wish I would have seen those for $800 because u r right, I never thought we would see it again. I am now the proud owner of a Adams Arms build. Just went shooting Mon with it. I love it. Thanks again. Now just need the shotgun and I will b seeing you all soon. I will b the one at the bottom lol

• 1 month later...

You need to give us a feel for your target budget to get a good answer. The good news about the AR15 platform is that it is very modular - if the underlying rifle is solid, you can upgrade piecemeal as you accrue experience and cash. For a guy on a budget, I would suggest avoiding a fancy custom rifle right out of the gate. You can buy or build a perfectly serviceable plain vanilla 20" barreled AR15 A3 (flat top) rifle for as little as $600, take it out and win your local match if you do your part. I suggest you avoid the common M4 carbine style rifles out there (16" barrel, carbine gas system, short sight radius) as this is a sub-optimal base platform for 3-gun.

As funds allow, you can incorporate the following upgrades in this order:

1) A good muzzle brake. For the money, the DPMS Miculek brake ($40) is the hands down winner. Others may be slightly better but a lot more expensive. You can install this easily yourself.

2) A free float handguard. No need for any of the fancy tactical rail nonsense - just a plain old tube ($40-100) that free floats the barrel. This will let you rest the forend on walls without impacting long-range accuracy. You need special tools to install this, so you might want to have a gunsmith do so.

3) A good match trigger. The JP is the best IMHO ($140). Fiddly to install, but very doable if you are OK with your hands and have access to basic tools.

After the above three modifications, everything else is frosting. You can spend a LOT more money, but the above will give you by far the biggest bang for your buck.

I have not touched on optics. Your choice here depends on which division you want to shoot. Cheapest is Tactical Limited, in which you can shoot competitively with iron sights. Later on, as budget permits, you can look at a red dot (still Tac Limited) or a magnified scope (Tac Scope or Open).

As for other minor accessories, you need:

i) Magazines. Get several 30-round GI or PMAGs, a few 40 round C-Products mags (if you can find them) and maybe one more higher capacity mag (PMAG + Nordic extension = 48 rounds, or 2 x PMAGs + CCW coupler = 60 rounds).

ii) Mag pouches. Best value IMHO is the BladeTek molded unit with TekLok belt attachment ($20).

iii) Ammo. This will be a significant expenditure, so reload or buy in bulk. 55 grain FMJ will be quite adequate for 99% of applications.

Good luck and welcome to the 3-gun addiction :D

Outstanding post! I'm in the same situation as the OP. I'll be following your advice. One question: When you refer to the flat top AR15 are you talking about the stock Colt version?