Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 new brass to prevent bulge?

jswitt99

question...

I have a kkm on order for my 35. If I buy new brass and shoot out of KKM, will that still create a bulge?

If it won't, wouldn't that be a simple solution to not worry about the bulge if I can pick up my brass and reload? Obviously, I would need to mark and sort what I pick up.

Am I over thinking this?

I realize shooting new brass for matches would completely remove the issue, but will a KKM create glock bulge in the first place?

I use hornady dies and I have never had an issue with bulged brass in any glock or 2011. Before you spend money on a barrel try a different die or two from some range buddies.

question...

I have a kkm on order for my 35. If I buy new brass and shoot out of KKM, will that still create a bulge?

If it won't, wouldn't that be a simple solution to not worry about the bulge if I can pick up my brass and reload? Obviously, I would need to mark and sort what I pick up.

Am I over thinking this?

I realize shooting new brass for matches would completely remove the issue, but will a KKM create glock bulge in the first place?

I use hornady dies and I have never had an issue with bulged brass in any glock or 2011. Before you spend money on a barrel try a different die or two from some range buddies.

question...

Am I over thinking this?

barrel is part of Jager open kit...splash...

Using moly, so lee or egw? Matters?

Need to order dies, so this is good info.

question...

Am I over thinking this?

The answer to you questions are:

1) the KKM Barrel is said to have a fully supported chamber and the chamber is much tighter than the stock Glock Barrel. My Glock barrel measures .432 and my KKM measures .426. Brass that comes from the KKM barrel will not have the Glock bulge.

2) Yes, you are overthinking it...

3) Picking up you brass fired from your KKM barrel would eliminate Glocked brass but as others have said is not really necessary.

4) If I could afford it I would use new Starline brass for big matches but I can't and it probably wouldn't help me anyway.

Good luck and have fun! :cheers:

thanks guys, I thought lee and egw were different dies...doh.. :o

they are, they're made by different companies.

lol, i go from confused to more confused quite easliy. :wacko:

I see now...thanks.

Actually, the EGW U die is made by Lee to EGW's specs.

I see now...thanks.

egw's site cleared that up for me earlier. :cheers:

so both the egw and redding are just replacing the dillion sizing die correct?

I see threads with guys using a seperate single stage press...I don't really want to do that. Can I just use these dies with my Dillion?

obviously back to confused state again... :blink:

I see now...thanks.

egw's site cleared that up for me earlier. :cheers:

That's good to know, thanks. If for nothing else than keeping me from spreading bad info :cheers:

The redding grx has to be run on a single stage press.

ok, so what about the egw?

If not,I am going to buy dillon dies and see what happens.

Data seems inconsistant. This is why I asked. Seems one of those questions that has tons of answers. I just wish I understood the inconsistancies and why some don't have issues and other do... OCD.

No offense to those trying to help, I really appreciate all the replies. :D

The lee/egw die can be run just like a standard sizing die on a Dillon press. Many people, including myself, use a standard Dillon die on station one and a lee u-die on station two. This makes operating the press a bit smoother.

I have to assume this is with a 650?

On a 550 it would just swap station one and be done?

Sorry for being such a tard basket, but I AM learning!

You are correct that the above would apply to a 650 or 1050. On a 550, you can either replace the Dillon die with the Lee on station one or you can use a separate toolhead. The benefit of using both dies is smoother operation and less chance of crushing the brass. Since the Lee die is not as tapered as the Dillon, brass occasionally catches the lip of the die.

I have a 35 set up like yours (KKM barrel). I use (almost exclusively) once fired Federal Hydra-Shok brass, which is what we shoot at the PD for duty ammo.

I run the GRX die in a Rockchucker press. I will sit down for a couple of evenings and run 2 or 300 through the GRX and get a couple of thousand done that way. Then I tumble and load the brass on a 1050 with a U-Die. I have never tried the U-Die by itself.

When I say this, please keep in mind that I only shoot one ~50 round match a week and the occasional 75-100 pistol round 3-Gun match, so I am not burning a thousand a week. If I were, I'd probably modify that procedure a bit.

Edited by Braxton1

I shoot a g35 and run a KKM barrel. Brass from that KKM barrel exhibits no bulge at all. I too believe that is due to the tighter and better supported chamber. If I pick-up brass that was fired in a stock barrel, I know it when I am sizing as it takes more effort to size due to the bulge.

I feel the looser stock chamber probably results in a slightly better reliability but tighter chamber gives me better brass life. Since I started using a FCD, I get just about 100% feeding but if brass life was not a factor or for carry, I would use a stock barrel.

By the way, brass from my SV is bulged too...