Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is This Gun Idpa Esp Legal?

dirtypool40

Morphing an old thread for IDPA advice....

please jump down to my new post...#16

OK guys here it is.

Back from the platers and ready to rock.

since you last saw it I had Derek mill a "panel cut" in front of the rear serrations, recrown the barrel, and cut the Fronch border at the top of the slides.

First three shot group when he gave it back to me after plating was a measured .950" center to center, at 25y, standing offhand.

You may notice the magwell is cut at an angle at the front. That's so the gun will stand up on a table start. Yeah, I know they always say flat no propping. But in IPSC matches it is one of the things you see alot of, and everyone else has it......so I had to!!!

I will try to edit this in a day or so with pics of "us" at the FL State match.

Questions? Comments? Ooohing and Ahhing?

stanley3.jpg

stanley4.jpg

stanley5.jpg

Who did the plating? Is it hardchrome?

I have a Robar certificate and will most likely go with the N3P finish for my Infinity, I just wish I could see a good example of it.

the cuts up front were because they look sexy, although I suppose it does take out a gram or two.

I don't know how to down size the pics, but would be happy too. I had no idea I wasposting Godzilla's gun.

Lastly, the finish is NP3, it is the sheee-it. Gotta have it. Slick, a little shiny and something not everyone else has. I highly reccommend it. Robar does all the internals too, so the thing runs slicker than snot.

I was a little worried about my choice of rear site, but this thing is ZEROED perfectly. The group I spoke of was in the head of an IPSC target. There are two heights of front sites Dawson and Brazos offer. I don't remember which one is on the gun, but it is perfect. I do not miss my delicate bomar one bit.

Did you start with a regular dustcover frame? Or was it a heavy-long dustcover gun that was cut back. Very Cool, Who did the work? Does an M3 fit well? Thanks.

Hany, right now I think it is the only one out there like it. B)

It started life as a full length STI "TACTICAL" rail frame. We lined it up with the stirrup cut slide, and made sure we had at least two little ribs to catch the light. Then we looked at the Kimber TLE / LR and finally the SiG GSR for inspiration and ended up there. The GS said it took five set ups of the mill to get the cut right.

I like short DC guns and still wanted something sexy and ok, "mall ninja" :ph34r: like. A buddy of mine has the older J-Lo (as in big ass) version of the STI SOCOM rail. It looks ALMOST as cool as mine, but weighs a ton.

Derek Janowicz of Millenium Custom II did the work. Gun runs 100%. I picked it up the day before the FL state match and shot a nice, boring 92% and 1st M.

As far as mounting a light, I assume it will work fine, but I don't even own an M3. My DEA buddy has been drooling over the pics waiting to try it. I'll let you know, or maybe post pics with the light mounted when I find out.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have an Edge that I (like many) have decided is too much (weight) of a good thing, and Im trying to come up with what to do with it, who to have it done by. Again, great looking pistol.

Josh, the fixed site thing seems to be doable. they make two differnt heights of site, one reccommended for round top guns te other for flat tops, so they must know what they are doing. the long way to go if things would not work would be to fit an oversized blank and mill it for zero, then get several of that size. I am sold on the rugged fixed site concept, and I love the look of the heinie's. When was the last time you re-zeroed a gun for any other reason that you dropped it or thought the sights might have shifted?

One thing I forgot to mention was the little cut I asked for in the left side, under the slide stop. you can just see it in the muzzle shot. I have the GS relieve under the slide stop, in that frame area. It is a subtle little custom touch, but it sure makes working the slide stop easier if you ever need to.

Hany, you might think of giving your Edge to a competent, creative GS and let him do a little "lipo". I did that with a bone stock un-fired Eagle. That's the second gun in the two shot. He started the ball cut just in front of the rear site and ran it all the way out the front. It definately looks unique, sorta "SiG-like" and not unlike the profile of Benos's gun in front site.

If I am going to pay mega bucks for toys, they will be set up the way I want and something not everyone else has.

(I'll try to post pics of the Eagle here soon)

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Pick up new thread here:

Sorry guys, I tried to just copy the pics into a new thread about IDPA ESP, but the board rejected them.

So anyway...

You guys may have drooled over this when I posted it a 18 months ago. Like a dumb ass I sold it. Well, I am drooling over the pics again, and thinking very seriously about having it cloned.

Take as given that:

She makes weight.

She fits in the box.

I'll use box compliant mags.

The new one will have a bushing barrel.

Reg'lar ole ss guide rod.

It will be built up from an unfit slide and frame.

With the dust cover cut like that, ala GSR, will she be legal?

Can anyone think of any other reason (other than she's just too damned sexy) she won't be allowed in IDPA ESP?

Thanks in advance. See you home soon. Gunshine state here we come.

A few comments:

As long as the accessory rail is not part of a "full dustcover" I would think it would be OK (if the gun makes weight).

Watch out for any slide cuts that may be deemed slide lightening.

Buy an IDPA box and make sure it fits inside with a magazine inserted. The lid must close completely. Areas to watch are the magwell and the thumb safeties. Also remember that drawing the gun from the box is a pretty common start position so you want it to fit with enough room that you can easily pick it up out of the box.

Use 140mm springs in your short mags to get them to lock the slide back more consistently for IDPA.

Can't tell what mag well it has for sure but it looks like an STI, if so it will not fit the box without machine work. SVI mag wells will fit the box and your preferred Kreb's looks like it will. Weight would be the only other issue I would worry about, without weighing it I wouldn't guess. The slide cuts might or might not pass muster depending on who you ask, if it were me (and it's not) I'd leave them off.

I've got bushing Eagles in both .40 & 9mm with SV magwells that I shoot, no problem with weight or box. I like the looks of your gun alot though !!

cool, based on the above info and pics, anyone find anything else?

just a reminder - the gun with magazine cannot weigh more than 43oz.

I have a couple of S_I weight data (gun only) measurements at home .

A 38 super at 36.1 oz and a 45acp at 32.5 oz - both with short dust covers , no rails. Both fit in the box.

Sounds like it should be good-to-go.

fwiw,

Mark

(edit to add the weights)

Edited by Mark Perez

The STI website says an Eagle is 34.5 and a Tactical with the long dc is 39 ounces.

Both those are with bull barrel, so I figure with bushing and shorter dc I should be fine.

I'll be sure to come back and post the first time I try to use it in IDPA.

I used to have a bushinged short grip gun, about like the VIP before there was such a beast. Anyway, had it built up for real carry and IDPA. Carried it in a real leather IWB.

You guys are sick of hearing it I am sure, but out of that from under a Hawiian shirt I was hoa at our Sunshine State Games for IDPA a couple years back.

This looks like a job for the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy! From the rulebook:

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

1. Sights to another notch and post type (see “sights” in glossary for further information).

2. Grips (no weighted grips; see “weighted grips” in glossary for further details).

3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the use of Briley Bushings).

4. Internal reliability work.

5. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.

6. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.

7. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.

8. Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and Beavertail grip safeties.

9. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2” out from the frame).

10. Factory installed cone style barrels on pistols with a barrel length of 4.2” or less.

11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.

12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull (includes the use of over travel stop).

13. Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions.

14. Custom finishes.

EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list):

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

2. Oversize diameter magazine release buttons.

3. Trigger shoes.

4. Slide lightening (see “slide, lightening” in glossary for further information).

5. Refer to Appendix ONE-A. Firearms-Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications.

From the glossary:

Slide, lightening: Removal of portions of the slide to gain a competitive advantage.

Soooo, I guess if the guy checking the gun can be conviced that removing material from the slide is not slide lightening or at least slide lightning but not an competitive advantage, the gun should be fine.

Just go, keep it under your hawaiian shirt, and shoot. Club match should be fine but maybe not at something bigger. (Especially now that you brought it to everybodys attention here!)

Good Luck,

Chuck A1062