Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm compition pistol

DS26

I'm fairly new to shooting and looking for some advice. I would like to buy a 9mm pistol to be used in a combat league and I'm having some trouble deciding what to buy. I have been looking into a few first is the Springfield XDM 5.25 I'm told it can't be purchased in NY as of yet. Then there is the CZ75 SP-01 not sure if available in NY as of yet. Maybe an M&P pro9 There are so many options but I want to find a good reliable accurate gun that I don't have to break the bank to buy. Any input greatly appreciated.

Edited by DS26

I'm fairly new to shooting and looking for some advice. I would like to buy a 9mm pistol to be used in a combat league and I'm having some trouble deciding what to buy. I have been looking into a few first is the Springfield XDM 5.25 I'm told it can't be purchased in NY as of yet. Them there is the CZ75 SP-01 not sure if available in NY as of yet. Maybe an M&P pro9 There are so many options but I want to find a good reliable accurate gun that I don't have to break the bank to buy. Any input greatly appreciated.

Go to gun shops and find one that feels good in your hand. Someone likes almost every gun out there...

If you can find a gun shop that has a range and rental, that is your best bet to find out what you like.

Glock, springfield xd, S&W MP are all fine guns that won't break the bank as well as some entry level 1911's. Figure out what is legal in NY. Buy one and shoot the hell out of it.

If you are new to shooting, they will all be more accurate than you are. I am not new and most are still more accurate than I am... :D

Welcome, this is a great place to learn!

Although I haven't shot an XDM, I know that all of those are pretty good choices. Don't forget about the Glock 34 either. Can't help you with your NY problem, I didn't know there was a limitation on what guns you could buy there.

+1 on going to a range that has rentals. Finding the pistol you like to use is more important than anything.

I'm not familiar with "combat leagues," but if they are anything like USPSA competitions, you can get a great deal of information by going to a local match.

Shooters will frequently tell you both the pros and cons of the pistols they shoot. They might also have practical advice related to firearm restrictions in your state. More important, you might even be able to borrow equipment and try it out. I, like a lot of shooters, would never loan my gun to someone I don't know. If someone came to a match I was shooting, however, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I also frequently bring gear I'm not planning to use when I attend a match, solely because there have been so many times when I've encountered a new shooter who didn't have a decent holster / mag pouches, enough mags, etc.

Good luck and welcome!

I'm fairly new to shooting and looking for some advice. I would like to buy a 9mm pistol to be used in a combat league and I'm having some trouble deciding what to buy. I have been looking into a few first is the Springfield XDM 5.25 I'm told it can't be purchased in NY as of yet. Then there is the CZ75 SP-01 not sure if available in NY as of yet. Maybe an M&P pro9 There are so many options but I want to find a good reliable accurate gun that I don't have to break the bank to buy. Any input greatly appreciated.

I shoot a number of 9mm's. My favorite 1911 is a Dan Wesson PM-9 in 9mm - super reliabilioty and accuracy.

I also shoot a S&W M&P9Pro, S&W 99, CZ-75 and Glock17. I prefer the ergonomics of either the S&W's or CZ to the Glock. I also prefer the trigger of either the CZ or the S&W's to the Glock.

Edited by TonyT

I have a nice pair of Glock model 17 pistols. Both have Heinie night sights, various Wolf trigger springs and a grip plug (no illegal competition parts). These pistols are legal and qualified for the USPSA Production Division, the IDPA Stock Service Pistol Division, and IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol Division.

Of course there are many great 9mm pistols to choose from... :cheers:

I have an CZ SP01 Phantom (Hammer drop safety DA/SA Polymer)and really like it. Shoot it in IDPA SSP. Haven't tried it in USPSA yet but I am sure I will like it there also. Accurate and affordable. Not a true match quality pistol without better sights and someone to tweek the DA but I'm not going to win much...TOO OLD...so I will work with it as is.

FWIW

Richard

Where in NYS are you? If you're anywhere in the Buffalo - Niagra Falls area, check out the Sept WNYPPL match and talk to the guys there. Have a look around and ask what they use and why?

For USPSA, the XD, Glock 17 and 35, S&W M&P are fairly popular. If it's available, check out the STI GP6.

I will give you the CONS of the major players. To me you want to get a gun that the CONS (negatives) don't effect you. I have small hands.

XD- Doesn't doesn't fit small hands very well. My right middle finger is crammed real tight under the trigger guard and I still have a gap up at the beavertail. Don't care for the grip safety. I don't always deactivate it.

XD-M Have not shot it but the extra cut under the trigger guard really helps. YMMV Not sure if that solve my issue with the grip safety.

CZ Kinda Heavy (pro and con), DA trigger is going to take more practice to master. Expensive compared to some.

M&P Trigger reset kinda soft. Some people have extraction issues.

Glock Biggest negative on it is if you have large hands the slide might bite your strong hand during recoil.

Not sure about the others. Fit matters a lot. Trigger is next. People complain about plastic gun triggers but I like the DAO nature. Not transition from DA-SA to figure out.

Good luck with your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a die-hard CZ and 1911 shooter, but my suggestion for a new shooter is normally going to be a Glock 17 or 34. Out of the box they're accurate enough for most competitions, dependable, easily worked on, and have very strong aftermarket support (parts, holsters, etc). Plus with the Glock you're learning a "system" - you can go from Production to Limited for not a whole lot of money, shooting a gun that feels identical (other than recoil). You're also able to build the same frames into an open gun if you so desire.

It's possible to do the same with an XD, a S&W, or a CZ, but none of them have the same level of aftermarket support as the Glock.

+1 on the Glock 34, with the possible exception of changing out the sights the gun is ready for competition shooting right out of the box, reasonable price for a great competition gun. You can shoot pistol competitons for a long time without ever needing another gun for production or factory classes ... lots of great guns out there but I've had Glock for over 20 years & love them ...

another + 1 on the G34 if the Glock platform works for you... they have a strong presence in Prod div at every match I've ever been to. Factory sights and trigger must be upgraded but you're ready to rock & roll after those fundamental mods :) Also, model 17 is a great choice and would serve you well.

Good luck.

Chris

I have to agree that a Glock 9mm would be a great choice, it's what I use. An S&W M&P 9mm would also be a good choice, it all depends on which gun you will shoot more accurately. Finding a gun shop with a range and rentals is the best way to find the right one for you without buying and selling guns until you get there. It may feel good in your hand, but be harder to be accurate with when actually firing it. Enjoy the search!

Edited by DTHN2LGS